Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Could you please attend to a - to me, gamebreakingly serious - bug?

Whenever a winch releases a cable that carries a part like the magnet or the connector port, so the [docked] button appears, it will reset your throttle to zero.

Whenever you retract the cable so it snaps in position again, or hit the dock button manually, it will again set your throttle to zero.

For Helicopters, VTOLs and other atmospheric crafts this means you die instantly.

The winch should not touch the throttle at any time, or interfere with your craft's steering.

I've run into this problem as well. Hopefully a fix is in the works (that is, if it even is fixable). The way it is now makes it insanely difficult to land a skycrane-based design.

Okay I've run into a problem with the Gui. for some reason when i click show Gui all i see is close and rename. the list of mods i have are: KAS, Mechjeb, RemoteTech2, and MagicSmoke. I've tried uninstalling the mods. Tried with the other mods and with out. Everything is in the .../common/kerbal space program/Gamedata. any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. p.s. The Gui was working then I installed Firespitter. That's when it stopped working. Even after fresh install without Firespitter still doesn't come up.

I've run into this problem as well. Hopefully a fix is in the works (that is' date=' if it even is fixable). The way it is now makes it insanely difficult to land a skycrane-based design.[/quote']

I note you commented on the fact that the 'Docked' My first thought is that this is KSP being helpful and setting the throttle to zero on the two vessels created when you undock. (Although I have not actually tested this, it makes sense with how I understand KSP to handle docked vessels.)

However, I'm also posting to point you towards the Velocity control mod I made (in my sig) that would be a work around to keep you from crashing. It would not keep the throttle from going to zero, however it would instantly return the throttle to where it needs to be to keep your craft hovering.

In the last version I even added a Skycrane mode specifically designed for applications like this.

D.

I note you commented on the fact that the 'Docked' My first thought is that this is KSP being helpful and setting the throttle to zero on the two vessels created when you undock. (Although I have not actually tested this, it makes sense with how I understand KSP to handle docked vessels.)

However, I'm also posting to point you towards the Velocity control mod I made (in my sig) that would be a work around to keep you from crashing. It would not keep the throttle from going to zero, however it would instantly return the throttle to where it needs to be to keep your craft hovering.

In the last version I even added a Skycrane mode specifically designed for applications like this.

D.

Woh really helpful, thanks!

Simple. The pipes go point to point. Straight. Groun pylons allow you to take them down to the ground. Or around corners. You can baiscally make a grid along ground pylons then go from them to the actual vehicles you connect - otherwise you would have a (long) straight line.

Is there a thread or some collection of KAS tips? There are so many stuffs we can do with it and sometimes I'm just at a loss. A few days ago I realized those pistons makes for some good floatation device to keep the pod from rolling so Jeb can go out to take samples and come back in again.

130R3jg.png

Okay I've run into a problem with the Gui. for some reason when i click show Gui all i see is close and rename. the list of mods i have are: KAS, Mechjeb, RemoteTech2, and MagicSmoke. I've tried uninstalling the mods.

You've encountered what seems to be a common issue that doesn't yet have a solution. In my case the problem eventually disappeared when I uninstalled a mod, despite that it had previously persisted even when I uninstalled all mods.

For now all I can offer you is the trivia and workarounds for the problem:

1. The winches are still functional. If you bind the extend and retract functions to action groups then you can operate them that way.

1a. If you need to use a winch on an existing vessel then you can use AGM to change action groups in flight. AGM is dangerous at the moment however. If a vessel has science experiments on board and you move another vessel to within loading distance of it (about 2km) then all those experiments will vanish. Be careful.

2. Not all winches will be affected. In my case only the stack horizontal winch had GUI issues. The others worked normally.

You've encountered what seems to be a common issue that doesn't yet have a solution. In my case the problem eventually disappeared when I uninstalled a mod, despite that it had previously persisted even when I uninstalled all mods.

For now all I can offer you is the trivia and workarounds for the problem:

1. The winches are still functional. If you bind the extend and retract functions to action groups then you can operate them that way.

1a. If you need to use a winch on an existing vessel then you can use AGM to change action groups in flight. AGM is dangerous at the moment however. If a vessel has science experiments on board and you move another vessel to within loading distance of it (about 2km) then all those experiments will vanish. Be careful.

2. Not all winches will be affected. In my case only the stack horizontal winch had GUI issues. The others worked normally.

I'll try this again: enabling and disabling key control (in the right click menu) fixed this for me. Can you try that? (Also, this isn't the thread for bug reporting or support, but just give it a go, maybe it'll work).

Hi. I just had a strange issue.

I'm building a space station, and as I dock new modules to it, I strengthen them with strut end points through EVA. So, I link all my struts together (about 15), and then go back to the launch pad to send a small craft to the station. As I approach the station, I see there is a lot of debris detected around it. From far away, it seemed like the strut end points, but I thought that they were still attached, and were just seen as debris by the engine.

Although then, when closing in on approach, I get received by these 15 struts floating free really close to the space station. The approach was a chore, dodging this debris so close to the station, but managed to dock. Upon going on EVA, I could check that all strut end points that I had linked on my last flight, were now loose.

What might be causing this? I haven't seen this bug reported on Github.

As fun as it is to have such dangerous approaches to the station, and also the risk that it implies, I still would prefer that my station stays stable...

I've pushed a couple a bit through EVA, but I fear they might come back around at some time as they are in the same orbit...

Here some pics:

uX8Mf70.png

5raR4rL.png

What is KJR? I would like to look into it. So it might not be related to KAS then. Nothing else detached, though.

You might try and edit the breaking force, I see it's set to 1 which wouldn't think it's would hold much at all and change it 10 would match the pipe breaking force but normal struts are much higher.

Question: KAS just blew up my space station, locked up my game and crashed the program. Is this COMMON? >:(

Moderately. I refuse to use winches in space (Craft must be landed) and quicksave before linking any pipes. I also won't use the struts because they frequently explode on linking, so much so that even saving and loading doesn't guarantee I'll get a link.

When pipe linking blows something up, it (almost) always links fine upon quickload from the quicksave I made right before linking.

I've used winches in space twice to tug things around and both times the same thing has happened: The craft performed perfectly until I went to do something else and came back. When I came back, the craft was completely destroyed and the game was lagged down to 0 FPS for minutes at a time. The Kerbal was in the lower right corner but I couldn't eva/iva him. In both cases, the only solution I could find was deleting the craft from the tracking station, killing the Kerbal and losing anything on the craft.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I'll try this again: enabling and disabling key control (in the right click menu) fixed this for me. Can you try that? (Also, this isn't the thread for bug reporting or support, but just give it a go, maybe it'll work).
I saw it the first time. My winches have already started working again on their own. I don't feel I have enough information to make a useful bug report. Thank you for helping. Edited by boberts314

im kinda in trouble here with grab module

when I add grab module into some cfg file and i go to the game to test, when i click on gui GRAB the part just flies away and explode. (i tried in space and the part went several m/s away)

i tried to allow collision on attachment rules, but yet the problem still.

am i doing something wrong, whats the solution?

I've seen Bob Fitch adding the grabmodule to very same parts and worked that are surface lights from surface light addon and smal radial heat radiator from interstellar.

thanks for any help

im kinda in trouble here with grab module

when I add grab module into some cfg file and i go to the game to test, when i click on gui GRAB the part just flies away and explode. (i tried in space and the part went several m/s away)

i tried to allow collision on attachment rules, but yet the problem still.

am i doing something wrong, whats the solution?

I've seen Bob Fitch adding the grabmodule to very same parts and worked that are surface lights from surface light addon and smal radial heat radiator from interstellar.

thanks for any help

Did it look like this

@PART[*]:HAS[#mass < 1]

{

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

grabKey = g

maxDistance = 3

breakForce = 3

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.1, -0.3)

evaPartRot = (10.0, -180.0, 180.0)