Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

How do I pre-attach something to a winch in the VAB?

Just attached two side rovers to a lander, flew it all the way to Duna only to find I had no winch control. (should have tested first!)

I can't seem to attach stock parts to any winch part other than the basic winch, but then the winch wont function.

Do I have to pick up the rovers in real time?

At the moment this is only available in Sandbox mod but if you really want it in career mode it isn't hard to fix at all. Just go into the .cfg files of every part and add:

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

Above cost = ???

Nice! So, where do I add it? Just add this:

{

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

Above cost = ???

}

in the bottom of a cfg?

{

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

Above cost = ???

}

in the bottom of a cfg?

Nope....

dont add {}...these lines go at the top of the 'editor parameter' section in the config, they need to be added as per the post ya quoted.

Template would work nicley, I can edit them myself. :)

Overall though I am thinking that there will generally be next to none on the tug cockpit, really low storage space on the MK2, moderate amounts on the MK3, and alot on the MK5 since its for a cargo plane/rocket.

The only one I dont know what I am going to do with is the hypersonic, on one hand it does not seem like the type of cockpit that would store much stuff, on the otherhand it has soooooo much space, and only holds one kerbal.

I can't seem to get the GUI to come up in the editor to add parts to containers. Any pointers?

Anyone? I was under the impression you could edit containers in the editor. Am I misinformed? I right click on the container and nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I like the idea of the pods having some storage, but I feel like those numbers are a little on the high side.

[snip]

Seconding the inline container idea, both a small and a large one if possible.

[snip]

See the big catch is I am absolutely incapable of modeling. I've tried and I can't seem to get anything that even recognizes the game phyiscs. If someone'll come up with a model or two, I'll HAPPILY do it. Until then I'm kinda hosed :(

Though I'd be happy to change those values for anyone interested. Working on it.

(Gonna be honest: the main reason I went with 100 for the landercan was because that's -exactly- as much as I need to load my portable research stations c.c sorry.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrv13rx99q92g2s/Storagepods.cfg

Edited as per automcdonough's suggestions. Still working on inline storage.

Edited by Tassyr

After editing the configs to be researchable I found this seemed to make sense:

-Containers and pylon are in Field Science

-Ports and pipe are in Fuel Systems

-Winches and Hooks are in Advanced Motors

-Strut in Specialized Construction

And for a inline storage solution this maybe? I did see that KospY had talked to nothke. Or something similar for zzz's containers?

Edited by TheSuperintendnt

{

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

Above cost = ???

}

in the bottom of a cfg?

Nooo, no no no. Sorry, I put that badly. Put exactly (not including quotes):

"

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

"

Under "// ---engine parameters---"

And above "cost = <something>"

I mention both because sometimes it doesn't say 'engine parameters' some parts leave that line out. But there will always be the "cost = <something>" line.

Let me just give you the first one as an example (I really hope I don't get in trouble for this):

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = KAS_Container1
module = Part
author = zzz

mesh = container1.mu

//Waiting scale bug to be fixed by squad [url]http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/1123[/url]
//MODEL
//model = KAS/Models/container1
//}
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.50

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.3968, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = fieldScience
entryCost = 0
cost = 680
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Container Type A
manufacturer = Sklifosovsky Labs
description = A KAS dedicated container for storing grabbable parts. Right click on it to edit content.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.02
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 20
maxTemp = 3400
fuelCrossFeed = False
breakingForce = 15
breakingTorque = 15

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleContainer
maxSize = 40
}

MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.10, -0.15)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
attachNodeName = bottom
customGroundPos = true
dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.55)
dropPartRot = (-10.0, 0.0, 0.0)
bayType = containerA
bayNode = bottom
bayRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
}

}

Edited by Munchkin9

Nooo, no no no. Sorry, I put that badly. Put exactly (not including quotes):

"

TechRequired = start

entryCost = 0

"

Under "// ---engine parameters---"

And above "cost = <something>"

I want to note that it's "editor parameter" but as you said sometimes it doesn't say "editor parameter" so just find where the cost of the part is listed.

Does anyone one have a tech tree integration to lend out skewed towards the challenging/more rewarding end of the scale? I don't necessarily want to know where they are on the tree, because I'm slowly working my way through with manned science missions and no transmissions save crew reports, but man, I loved KAS in sandbox, and having a couple parts or three unlocked on occasion would make my rare play sessions great.

A few have asked me via PM, so I've authorized ModuleManager-based config edits that add KAS (and Kethane) parts to tech nodes. (I arguably don't need to grant permission for that kind of edit anyway, but I'll make it explicit here.) In keeping with KospY's license, please don't distribute the edited config files themselves.

A few have asked me via PM, so I've authorized ModuleManager-based config edits that add KAS (and Kethane) parts to tech nodes. (I arguably don't need to grant permission for that kind of edit anyway, but I'll make it explicit here.) In keeping with KospY's license, please don't distribute the edited config files themselves.

I apologize for asking so bluntly, I have nothing but respect for all of you brilliant dev mods and the work you guys do. I get confused with ethics from one game to the next after 30 years of gaming. Your work especially, Majiir, is excellent. I grant you an honored position as one of the best I've seen.

Best solution for stuff like that is to just make it grabbable. What's the point of storing it in a container, if it's by itself a container? Just put it on your pod and it's with you.

Well, the idea was that you could store 'em, yank 'em out as needed, and keep your part count low on launch... XD

made aviation lights grabbable. works great. :)

I'm not sure how to use that config file you posted for the pod space.

I tried the "science backpack" but found that the solar did not pass energy to the battery correctly.. but the lights and other parts seemed to interact correctly and draw energy from the battery correctly.

KYWMAe9.png

It's proven. You MUST save and reload a craft/construct/anything for power to work properly!

also, automcdonough, where'd you get the neat kerbal skin?

Its a texture replacer some where in the universe replacer thread, I use that specific one too sooo. :P