Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I'd tell you to try reinstalling KAS, but as far as I know it doesn't store the container GUI position, so the GUI just being moved off to where you can't see it is unlikely.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're doing exactly? I mean, I know it's kinda hard to screw up "place a container and right-click on it", but just in case.

You need a screenshot to tell if I know how to right click on something? Lol.

Edit: I know you're trying to help and I really appreciate it, but give me some credit!!!

Could the GUI menu be hidden somewhere off screen? When I right click on the container in the editor I hear a sound but I don't see a menu. That's why I think the GUI might be hidden somehow. Is there a way to correct this?

Edited by Gnaar_Mok

Hehe, yeah. :P

I actually wanted to just do a sanity check, to be certain you aren't mistakenly misusing something. Like trying to click on a ghosted container, or something silly like that. Even normal people make surprisingly silly mistakes sometimes.

Anyway.

What resolution are you playing at? That was another thing I wanted to clear up with a screenshot. Have you made any interface settings changes? What other mods are you playing with?

Can you try to toss out all mods but KAS and try again? Just to see if it's interference of some kind.

Make sure to start a new game too.

edit: also.

I have been thinking a little. And... well, there is no better way this idea could have gone, with Majiir managing both mods now.

Basically... I think what this pack needs is a mobile Kethane rig. Mobile as in "packs up into two small containers at most".

Here's what I think it should have.

Mobile Kethane Detector: A backpack with a kethane scanner antenna and a tiny amount of electric charge storage. Maximum scan range: 500m. Can be turned on and off from EVA. Can be radially attached. Proposed size: 8.

Portable Kethane Rig: Basically a smaller and lighter version of the radial Kethane drill, coupled with a small container for Kethane. Horrendously slow mining speed, and can't actually work unless it has a solar panel or some other electricity source attached to it. Proposed size: 30.

Portable Kethane Converter: A highly inefficient, but very compact Kethane Converter. Can basically only trickle-convert Kethane, but still does it. Proposed size: 16.

The above setup allows an emergency trickle-refuel station to be built, using the contents of a single 80-point KAS container, or two 40-point containers.

Broken into two containers, this would be:

1st container: 30p Kethane Rig, 10p 1x6 solar panel array

2nd container: 16p Converter, 8p Detector, 2x8p Pipe Connectors

Presumably, a Kerbal would make trips, either on foot, on RCS, or on a mini-rover (depending on what survived the (crash)landing), carrying the Detector, to find a Kethane deposit, and would then deliver the two containers to the site. The Kethane Rig is set down. A Solar Panel, and both the Detector and Converter are plugged into it, giving the contraption enough power storage, power production, and kethane storage to function.

Then, presumably, pipe connectors would be used to connect the converter to some form of container for the required type of fuel, preferably to the craft that needs refueling directly.

Or some other implementation of the idea.

Basically, an emergency, lightweight, and compact, universal Kethane-powered refueling system, that can be either taken along with a lander, or delivered to a stranded craft via a probe.

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

ah, ok i'll reload next time. And yes, universe replacer!

I wonder if the reload thing is how to get the parachute working? I'll try it again.

parachute worked fine out of the box. it just doesn't attach very well while on the ground, because the radial one is so big.

it collides with the ground and falls of.

I attached it in free fall though and that worked great, and it didn't rip off when the chute opened fully either :)

I ran into a minor problem that could be a BIG problem. When ever I use a wench and pull a rover into a cargo bay, and the connector switches from undocked to docked, it will fall through the bottom of the craft. If I undock it then it causes a massive explosion. Tried 3 reinstalls of the WHOLE KSP game. List of mods are in my sig.

When ever I use a wench and pull a rover into a cargo bay, and the connector switches from undocked to docked, it will fall through the bottom of the craft.

I think I see your problem. Wenches don't like being used to tow rovers. Try taking them to a tavern and sitting them on your knee.

But seriously... this is normal. When its docked, its treated as one ship, so there are no part collisions. If you undock it, suddenly its two ships again that can and will smash into each other. Try to make sure the rover is not moving relative to the ship before you switch to docked mode so it doesn't drift through other parts. Or if it does clip through other parts, try and wait to see if it drifts out again before undocking.

Edit: Or returning to the space center/reloading the flight usually kills any drift

Edited by PhilMcgroin

I think I see your problem. Wenches don't like being used to tow rovers. Try taking them to a tavern and sitting them on your knee.

But seriously... this is normal. When its docked, its treated as one ship, so there are no part collisions. If you undock it, suddenly its two ships again that can and will smash into each other. Try to make sure the rover is not moving relative to the ship before you switch to docked mode so it doesn't drift through other parts. Or if it does clip through other parts, try and wait to see if it drifts out again before undocking.

Edit: Or returning to the space center/reloading the flight usually kills any drift

I may try and use the KAS struts and strut the vehicle before docking... this may lock it in place.

I found a bug where when you switch between debris and station/base with attached lights for example, the station explodes always. It had to do something with the order of loading parts/modules imo.

How do you use pipes? There is no info anywhere in the wiki as far as I can see.

Put one pipe endpoint each on a two (or more) ships/base modules/things. When it's setup, take a Kerbal on EVA and walk/fly to one of the end points, right-click it and select "link mode" (or similar). Walk/fly to the one you want to connect it to, right click it as well and select "link here".

You can also put the new containers on your ships (use the container holders to attach them). When you right-click them in the VAB/SPH you can put stuff in them (including the pipe end points), which you can then take out with a kerbal and place on ships (right-click the kerbal once he's carrying the thing and select "attach"). Then proceed as described above.

Note that you can also carry the container itself around to have easier access to the party when setting up a base.

Welp tried to attach the struts, but it wont let me until the object is docked. And at that point its on the runway at KSC and about a meter below the floor of the cargo bay.

Okay, I've run into a new and odd bug. Spontaneously the game has decided that attached parts won't function. I can right click on a PB NUK generator and see "Efficiency 1.00," I can click on an antenna and see "Locked"

But I can't DO anything with 'em.

Setup: I dropped a pylon, attached the parts, and pipe-connected it to a landed craft.

Any idea what might cause this? And yes, I've restarted and reloaded. I'm just about to test it on the launch pad.

It seems only the parts I'm placing on the mun are having issues. Any ideas?

Additionally: does anyone know what would cause a kerbal to spin like a freaking top when carrying a part on his back on EVA?

Edited by Tassyr

Welp tried to attach the struts, but it wont let me until the object is docked. And at that point its on the runway at KSC and about a meter below the floor of the cargo bay.

Can you hang another whinch from the ceiling of the cargo bay to hang your rover from it and dock it there?

Okay, I've run into a new and odd bug. Spontaneously the game has decided that attached parts won't function.

Not sure here if I understand everything, but are you still controlling the craft you connected everything to with the pipes? Do the pipes establish a "docked" mode? I think you can only use the GUI of parts that belong to your currently active craft.

Edited by KerbMav

Not sure here if I understand everything, but are you still controlling the craft you connected everything to with the pipes? Do the pipes establish a "docked" mode? I think you can only use the GUI of parts that belong to your currently active craft.

yeah, I attached it to my munar lander and then switched to the lander- it's the only way I was able to get info on the parts.

I have a storage box that weights 9 tons empty; It causes Bob to sink into the ground and blink forwards when he walks and it causes the suspension to bottom out on the vehicle it gets attached to. It carried a Magnet, Anchor, Connector port and a Grappling Hook before. On this vehicle, if I release the winch between the trailer and truck, the ground disappears and everything falls to the centre of Kerbin. I am quite perplexed and I think it needs an exorcist.

Great Mod. Please change something for realism's sake. Now that there is pipes for resource transfer, Please disable resource transfer through the winch cable.

While I love the idea, I don't think it's practical. You pretty much can't link 2 things with the winch without docking them, else you have a very big chance they'll collide. That chance is there anyway, but if they're docked they'll just clip through each other so no biggie. And once you're docked you're a single ship, and transferring stuff around a ship is a game mechanic that would probably be very hard to change.