Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Hello,

just need quick help, because i'm just too stupid. I'm trying to make the Container Bay part being grabbable, storeable and so i can attach it from eva, just like the other KAS pipes and stuff.

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.09)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 2

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

The thing is, when i try to attach it on anything, the part seems to be attaching half way into the surface, so it looks like only half of it is above the surface i'm trying to attach it to. I can't find commands similar to evapartpos and evapartdir, so i can adjust where the part is supposed to be attached, witch should be like 0.15 higher, direction leading abouve the surface.

On the screenshot: On the left, part attached oryginally in VAB, on the right, same part grabbed and attached on eva. I bet you all know what i mean.

Part.jpg

This problem was reported by another user some time ago, I suspect its a conflict with another mod, I can see you have a bunch installed - if you could try and identify which one it is, that would be most helpful, or at least provide a list of the mods (and versions) you are using.
Quite a few, yes. I'm not looking forward to sorting through them but I guess it can't be helped.

Do you think I can safely assume that the mod causing trouble would include a plugin, or should I also try all the stuff that's just extra parts?

Do you think I can safely assume that the mod causing trouble would include a plugin

Yes, you can ignore parts-only addons, assuming they don't contain cunningly concealed DLLs within their directory subtree.

How to solve it so the part attached on EVA will have same position ... not sucked in half by the part.

Unfortunately you can't, it's down to the collision mesh and the differences between the assembly building and after launching. The good news is, the bay still functions, and the containers still attach, it just looks funky.

I'm having an issue with my winches.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/boberts314/2014-01-27_00001.jpgThe short version of this is that I can't directly control them anymore. The extend and retract options are absent from the context menu(although I'm still able to access them with action group manager), and if I try to open the GUI all I get is the box that you can see to the right of the timewarp controller.

I'm reinstalling KAS now to see if maybe that will help. Has anyone seen this before?

I've got the same problem as ^, It's only with the stack horizontal winch though. Pics here;

uh2hivg.jpg

Normal, all 3 other winches are like this and I have eva controls when attached to a kerbal

BrMj6rW.jpg

then the horizontal stack winch, Missing most controls, can't control it when EVA attached to a kerbal or with the winch UI control panel.

Anyone else encounter this? any help?

[umm, I just tried quoting someone who had the same problem but it looks like it didn't post or something so I'll try again;]

I'm having problems with the Horizontal stack winch. It's missing most of the context controls, won't let me retract/extend it when attached to a kerbal in EVA and isn't controllable via UI controls

see here;

uh2hivg.jpg

normal winch controls. I can also control with UI and in EVA. It's got all it's functions.

BrMj6rW.jpg

The horizontal stack. missing most of it's controls.

Has anyone else encountered this? is it a bug? can I do something to fix it?

I've got the same problem as ^, It's only with the stack horizontal winch though. Pics here;
That's interesting. The stack horizontal is the only winch I've tested, as it's the only winch I've unlocked in career. Time to do a quick bout of science then.

Edit: Confirmed it, only the horizontal stack winch is experiencing the issue. All 3 other winches operate normally from the context menu and register properly in the GUI. I don't think I'll have time to start yanking mods tonight, but maybe I can at least get a list of the ones that use plugins ready.

Edited by boberts314

Wow, you're right. Had no idea.

I don't think the same is true for solar panels because the wheels simply enter a damaged state whereas the panels just shatter and fly away. So it would still be useful in that case.

The fixed panels can be broken but not shattered. I've broken several. Even a kerbal jumping on it breaks it. The right-click menu says "Broken!" I'd love to be able to fix those. Until then, I bring spares in the storage containers (and scavenge off vehicles before deorbiting).

How did you remove the kerbal helmet and get the orange jumpsuit? My Jeb, Bob, and Bill use the standard white one.

That's interesting. The stack horizontal is the only winch I've tested, as it's the only winch I've unlocked in career. Time to do a quick bout of science then.

Edit: Confirmed it, only the horizontal stack winch is experiencing the issue. All 3 other winches operate normally from the context menu and register properly in the GUI. I don't think I'll have time to start yanking mods tonight, but maybe I can at least get a list of the ones that use plugins ready.

I have the issue with both stack winches (the actual stackable one and the end stack one). Only the radials work for me.

I'm glad to see others having a problem with the stack winches! I just started experimenting with KAS about a week ago and thought I was doing something wrong, or that stack winches were a special use case and I had just missed the details.

Has anyone posted a formal bug report about it for Majiir to look at? I doubt he scans through these threads much for user reports (I know he generally doesn't for Kethane).

So it seems I have the GUI problem, and I have no idea what is causing it.

I have removed all mods, uninstalled the game completely, and just added KAS 0.4.5 to the gamedata folder and still come up with the gui saying rename the winch. All the logs state everything is fine.

Here is a small log.

[LOG 01:16:18.988] [untitled Space Craft]: Ready to Launch - waiting to start physics...

[LOG 01:16:18.993] Crewmember Jebediah Kerman assigned to AIES C1 'Orbiter', seat # 0 (crew seat index: 0)

[LOG 01:16:18.994] [FLIGHT GLOBALS]: Switching To Vessel Untitled Space Craft ----------------------

[LOG 01:16:18.996] setting new dominant body: Kerbin

FlightGlobals.mainBody: Kerbin

[LOG 01:16:18.998] Reference Frame: Rotating

[LOG 01:16:19.012] stage manager resuming...

[LOG 01:16:19.013] Vessel assembly complete!

[LOG 01:16:19.014] stage manager starting...

[LOG 01:16:19.014] all systems started

[ERR 01:16:19.043] [KAS] OnStart(Winch) Connected part is not a port, configuration not supported !

[LOG 01:16:21.471] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Untitled Space Craft

[LOG 01:16:21.648] Flight State Captured

[LOG 01:16:21.649] Saving Achievements Tree...

[LOG 01:16:21.657] Game State Saved as persistent

[LOG 01:16:22.658] [untitled Space Craft]: ground contact! - error: 0.141m

[LOG 01:16:22.659] Unpacking Untitled Space Craft

[LOG 01:16:22.660] [KAS] OnPartUnpack(Winch)

[LOG 01:16:26.439] [KAS] 1 winch has been found on the vessel, showing GUI...

[LOG 01:16:26.440] [KAS] WinchGUI - Showing GUI...

[LOG 01:16:38.320] [KAS] WinchGUI - Closing GUI...

[LOG 01:16:38.749] [KAS] WinchGUI - Showing GUI...

[EXC 01:16:47.799] NullReferenceException

Found a bug!

All the winches except the Horizontal Stack Winch show up in the gui and work just fine.

It seems the Horizontal Stack Winch has the GUI issue that people have been complaining about.

Well, what other mods are you using? You said none but, you are in an AIES pod, so I'm just curious.

I forgot to remove the AIES parts, but I did find out it's only the Horizontal Stack Winch that has the GUI and control problem.

are there any good tutorials to using KAS? I'd like to be able to use it for orbital construction, but I'm not having much luck. For example, how do you reel in a wench cable after you attach it to something? I tried to use it as an EVA tether, but it just kept spooling out.

In the cfg files, I did find that the Horizontal Stack Winch is missing a line in the cfg

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleWinch

maxLenght = 80

cableSpring = 1000

cableDamper = 0.1

cableWidth = 0.04

motorMaxSpeed = 1

motorAcceleration = 0.05

powerDrain = 0.3

headTransformName = head

headPortNodeName = portNode

connectedPortNodeName = bottom

anchorNodeName = anchorNode

evaGrabHeadPos = (0.05, 0.01, -0.11)

evaGrabHeadDir = (0,0,1)

evaDropHeadPos = (0.05, 0.01, -0.16)

evaDropHeadRot = (180.0, 0.0, 0.0)

lockMinDist = 0.08

lockMinFwdDot = 0.90

}

This is the Vertical Stack winch, Horizontal radial winch, and Vertical radial winch. Everyone one of these winches has this line of code in it.

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleWinch

maxLenght = 50

cableSpring = 1000

cableDamper = 0.1

cableWidth = 0.04

motorMaxSpeed = 2

motorAcceleration = 0.05

powerDrain = 0.5

headTransformName = head

evaGrabHeadDir = (0,0,1)

ejectEnabled = true

ejectForce = 20

lockMinDist = 0.08

lockMinFwdDot = 0.90

}

I don't know if having these missing from the cfg (ejectEnabled = true and ejectForce = 20) is causing the problem, but I will add these lines to find out.

are there any good tutorials to using KAS? I'd like to be able to use it for orbital construction, but I'm not having much luck. For example, how do you reel in a wench cable after you attach it to something? I tried to use it as an EVA tether, but it just kept spooling out.

I and K reel in and let out.

i have this problem to, tried to install and re- install. It disappeared once, now its there again. I use a lot of mods, including KW, Interstellar, Firespitter, but i can´t reproduce the appearance of the bug. A workaround is to extend and retract the cable by using the numpad controls ("5" and "2" as far as i remember)

edit: i refer to the GUI problems with the winches

I have not run this mod in any ambitious sense so I don't have a lot of experience with it. I've got 2 problems that I hope someone can help me out on.

Trying to make a simple crane to remove a buggy from a cargo bay. Think of it as an open window from a 2nd floor.

1. I have it set up on a gantry system from Infernal Robotics. IR seems to work fine, but the winch I have attached to it does NOT appear in the GUI for KAS. When I right click on the part in question, all the standard buttons are there and it seems to work fine, but does not appear along with all the other winches in the main GUI window. I have another winch attached to the rover hanging from this winch/gantry and that winch does appear in the GUI.

2. I can't find a way to properly attach the rover to the winch:mad:

I've tried all the connector parts, electromagnet, hook, port connector, all of them and the rover will not attach to any node. Right now it's just the simple STOCK rover so I'm either attaching it to the hex pod or the flat plate. I'm importing the rover just using sub-assemblies. Now I can attach it to the winch if there is no KAS attachment on it.. but it's stuck there. When I test it on the runway or launchpad, the KAS cable just passed through the rover when I use extend or eject while the rover stays attached to the winch. Only way I've been able to get around it is to use docking ports or stage separators, and not is not satisfactory. When I test it on Kerbal, sometimes the rover is damaged.

what could I being doing wrong?

Edited by Wyrmshadow

Well since my last 3 posts haven't shown up.

Here are my results on what I found. Currently the only winch with the gui problem is winch1 (Horizontal stack winch). I added the line of code that was missing, that was on the other three. Unfortunately it did nothing to help the problem with the missing gui.

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleWinch

maxLenght = 80

cableSpring = 1000

cableDamper = 0.1

cableWidth = 0.04

motorMaxSpeed = 1

motorAcceleration = 0.05

powerDrain = 0.3

headTransformName = head

evaGrabHeadDir = (0,0,1)

ejectEnabled = true <--------Added this

ejectForce = 20 <--------Added this

lockMinDist = 0.08

lockMinFwdDot = 0.90

Edited by ripzeus

In the cfg files, I did find that the Horizontal Stack Winch is missing a line in the cfg

-snip-

I don't know if having these missing from the cfg (ejectEnabled = true and ejectForce = 20) is causing the problem, but I will add these lines to find out.

Confirmed that, text is indeed missing.

Maybye sommeone said it earlier, but we coudl use some bigger container for grabbable parts, something inline.

It coudl be used to store bigger parts, like modluar gliders, smaller engines.

These big parts woudl be only grab-able in low g (because of their weight). This woudl bassicly allow to construct simple crafts in orbit, if symmetry options woudl be avaible.

Well, right now i can set up module in cfg file that woudl allow me to store monsail engine in smmall container, but that woudl be cheating.