Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I'm having a problem with the download. I've had this mod for a while, along with the problem, but this just started bugging me. Every time i launch a ship with KAS parts, or get withing range of one, yellow letters go all of the screen saying "check your KAS installation, sounds not working right" or something like that. I only dropped the mod into gamedata, so maybe it has something to do with that?

Here is a picture:

ny50m4M.png

ok, I don't think the Wench controls are working right for me either, I and K just fire the RCS thrusters, they don't reel the wench
You may be able to bypass the issue by setting the extend and retract commands to an action group before launch. Or after launch, if you have Action Group Manager installed.

Yes, you can ignore parts-only addons, assuming they don't contain cunningly concealed DLLs within their directory subtree.

Tonight's update on this issue: I set aside a few minutes tonight to troubleshoot this a bit. I made a copy of my .23 install and removed everything from gamedata except for KAS, Squad, and the modulemanager.dll.

The issue persisted. Still just the horizontal stack winch. Tomorrow I'll download fresh .zips for KSP and KAS and see if I can get the issue to still reproduce that way.

quick question,

I see that the AddModule.cfg file has a list of the parts that I can use and what I can do with them, I can see the basic syntax for changing the properties of each part, and potentially even adding other stock parts to the list, is it any different for adding non-stock parts?

for example, If I added the Mechjeb case, the new code would be like this, right?

///////// mumech_MJ2_AR202 ///////

GRAB

{

stockPartName = mumech_MJ2_AR202

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.09, -0.23)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 5

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

I just wanted to run this by you guys before I try it and screw something up

Edited by Capt. Hunt

I added a bunch of non-stock parts through a different method. If you go into the non-stock part's part.cfg file, you can add this:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 2

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

Just before the final "end curly bracket" at the end of the file.

Make sure you select an appropriate storedSize value. That 2's is for a tiny little light I got from an aviation lights pack. It seemed appropriate that they shouldn't take much space (mass = 0.01, and the lights are very small).

I am not entirely certain how the other attach booleans change things. So, alter those at your own peril.

quick question,

I see that the AddModule.cfg file has a list of the parts that I can use and what I can do with them, I can see the basic syntax for changing the properties of each part, and potentially even adding other stock parts to the list, is it any different for adding non-stock parts?

for example, If I added the Mechjeb case, the new code would be like this, right?

I just wanted to run this by you guys before I try it and screw something up

You can make a cfg to add the grab or what ever you want from any mod for the grab, I try'ed to add grab to scansat parts but it lets me grab everything.

You can try it.https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhtd4a9q6wl0jwr/KAS_Grab_ScanSat.cfg

You have to have 1 ModuleManager_1_5_6 file in your KSP/Gamedata and put the cfg any where in KSP/Gamedata folder.

Edited by Mecripp2

If you Kerman go winch cable in back in space station inside KAS crash.

Noticed in harmony models.

KAS version 0.4.4

I'm gonna guess, if you take a kerbal and attach the cable to his back while on EVA, then you hop back inside the vessel the world implodes...

am i close?

If you using a winch cable in rope, space walk safety. I had to do. I have too low FPS in linux. NOTICE!! Do not go into the airlock when the winch cable is on the Kerman back. Freezes the game. KAS breaks down. You can not get even the space center, but you will have to kill the entire game. How to get fix this problem.

yes you are close.

1. get Kerbal spacewalk.

2. attack winch cable in back kerbal

3. open winch gui

4. go back in vessel.

5. Winch menu disappears all the buttons, and it can not be closed. The game refuses to quit.

Edited by PenguingInc
fix

If you using a winch cable in rope, space walk safety. I had to do. I have too low FPS in linux. NOTICE!! Do not go into the airlock when the winch cable is on the Kerman back. Freezes the game. KAS breaks down. You can not get even the space center, but you will have to kill the entire game. How to get fix this problem.

yes you are close.

1. get Kerbal spacewalk.

2. attack winch cable in back kerbal

3. open winch gui

4. go back in vessel.

5. Winch menu disappears all the buttons, and it can not be closed. The game refuses to quit.

Yes, you have to drop the cable before entering the station. If you have the kerbal holding the cable when you enter a nullref will flood and cause the game to be unable to go to the space center or to save. Dropping the cable after grabbing the ladder and before entering the station prevents this problem.

Hi. Awesome mod. Great to see how it's become an essential part of KSP ! I've been using pipes to construct a Minmus refuelling base, but I'm wondering if winches are better, given that they seem to have a longer range. I guess my question is this: Is there anything you can do with a pipe that you can't do with a winch ? Secondly, I would love it if once I connected my pipe from my Kethane miner to my spacecraft fuel tank it would start filling the tank on the spacecraft automagically, rather than needing me to do the ALT-Right click shuffle. Even better would be a landing pad that automatically connected on landing ! Anyway, thanks for the fabulous work !

Hi. Awesome mod. Great to see how it's become an essential part of KSP ! I've been using pipes to construct a Minmus refuelling base, but I'm wondering if winches are better, given that they seem to have a longer range. I guess my question is this: Is there anything you can do with a pipe that you can't do with a winch ? Secondly, I would love it if once I connected my pipe from my Kethane miner to my spacecraft fuel tank it would start filling the tank on the spacecraft automagically, rather than needing me to do the ALT-Right click shuffle. Even better would be a landing pad that automatically connected on landing ! Anyway, thanks for the fabulous work !

There are http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67163-0-23-Goodspeed-Automatic-Fuel-Pump-v1-29-1 and http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/tac-fuel-balancer-v1-0/ also you can edit the pipe range.

Edit If you look at KSP/GameData/KAS/PARTS/pipe1 open the pipe1.cfg with notepad or some texteditter

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleStrut

nodeTransform = pipeNode

type = PipeSize1

maxLenght = 20 <-------- here you can change the length of the pipe

maxAngle = 100

breakForce = 10

allowDock = true

hasCollider = false

tubeScale = 0.15

jointScale = 0.15

textureTiling = 1

tubeSrcType = Joined

tubeTgtType = Joined

evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)

evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)

tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/pipe

}

Edited by Mecripp2

There are http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/67163-0-23-Goodspeed-Automatic-Fuel-Pump-v1-29-1 and http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/tac-fuel-balancer-v1-0/ also you can edit the pipe range.

Edit If you look at KSP/GameData/KAS/PARTS/pipe1 open the pipe1.cfg with notepad or some texteditter

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleStrut

nodeTransform = pipeNode

type = PipeSize1

maxLenght = 20 <-------- here you can change the length of the pipe

maxAngle = 100

breakForce = 10

allowDock = true

hasCollider = false

tubeScale = 0.15

jointScale = 0.15

textureTiling = 1

tubeSrcType = Joined

tubeTgtType = Joined

evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)

evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)

tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/pipe

}

Thanks very much !

Other than being not-radially-mounted, they are kind of integrated into the ship fuselage. It'd be like taking the door off the command pod. In space.

makes sense... i just thought there might be a technical reason.... I had a docking port rip off a connecting tunnel, and had spares on a utility rover, only to find I couldn't grab them. i'll probably end up using pipes for the majority of connections within my bases... more flexible, lighter, and compact than having tunnels everywhere...