Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Is there any inline KAS storage? I don't know if the standard storage box have drag issues with FAR or if they can unbalance the ship if loaded different.

Besides a 1.25 and 2/5 meters inline storage parts would be nice.

Is there any inline KAS storage? ... a 1.25 and 2/5 meters inline storage parts would be nice.

Some may say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but if you're only breaking your own computer game and it's easily replaced, then learning more about it by experimenting can be fun...

Step one : choose a fuel tank of the desired size, find the directory containing its model...

step two : make a copy of the directory and its contents, say under .../KSP/GameData/MyPersonalParts

step three : edit the part.cfg text file, remove the fuel resource and replace it with KAS storage (look at existing KAS parts for the detail) you must also edit the "name =" line to give the part a unique name without spaces.

step four (optional) : convert the mbm file containing the graphics image of the tank with this program to a png file you can then open in your favorite image editor and re-paint as desired.

step five : PROFIT!

Hehe, I know how to do that. In fact, I did it with a TACLS part to get a working greenhouse :)

What I was asking is to have a modeled part, something nice looking and with the functionality I want. Also it was a suggestion to the developer to add said part.

Is there any inline KAS storage? I don't know if the standard storage box have drag issues with FAR or if they can unbalance the ship if loaded different.

Bavarian Tubes has an inline storage container.

Nothke's 6S Tubes can be used to store anything that physically fits inside. If the part is KAS grababble/mountable, you can put it in. They're designed as a place to stick mono tanks, sensors and other greeblies instead of hanging them all over the outside of the rocket.

The default cfg is set so the doors can only be opened by a Kerbal on EVA but it's simple to change.

hello guys, can you help me with configs to this mod?

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/pixelated-black-shades/

default config make them rotated by 180 degrees around the head.

what value do I need to fix to make them work properly? (I was able to add them to storeable parts but still cant get them to appear correctly)

EDIT: nevermind, I got it. I am really a silly kerbal :D

Jeb looks awesome with those

DKZkQzy.png

Edited by Queril

Bavarian Tubes has an inline storage container.

Right, I forgot about that mod.

Nothke's 6S Tubes can be used to store anything that physically fits inside. If the part is KAS grababble/mountable, you can put it in. They're designed as a place to stick mono tanks, sensors and other greeblies instead of hanging them all over the outside of the rocket.

The default cfg is set so the doors can only be opened by a Kerbal on EVA but it's simple to change.

I always use that with a KAS storage inside, that sotarge bay is really good.

I'm gonna try bavarian tubes mod, thanks :)

Hi, long time lurker here!

I have started a project on github to create configs to add KAS functionality to other mods. Check it out!

I hope to get other community members to submit settings for their favorite mods/parts! Tell me what you think.

Simply cloning the repository into your GameData folder will get you going, and then you can pull the latest version to have the latest supported parts. So far, all I have had time to add are small radial radiators from KSP Interstellar, but I have slapped them on to several derelict probes already where I was just getting started with interstellar and didn't yet understand WasteHeat.

can someone help me... I want to try to add the stock fuel line so I can place it in the storage boxes of KAS and be able to place it on craft. I want to do this because it seem the conventional KAS pipes and connections do not work in conjunction with Kethane.... I need to be able to attach a fuel/oxidizer tank to a Kethane refinery unit... and apparently to do it properly you have to attach FROM the fuel tank TO the converter. but the KAS pipes don't act the same ONE WAY as the stock fuel lines. I thought if I could attach a stock fuel line in EVA using KAS it would work, but unfortunately it seems that is not a part KAS can grab or attach. is there a way you can show me to do this?

can someone help me... I want to try to add the stock fuel line so I can place it in the storage boxes of KAS and be able to place it on craft. I want to do this because it seem the conventional KAS pipes and connections do not work in conjunction with Kethane.... I need to be able to attach a fuel/oxidizer tank to a Kethane refinery unit... and apparently to do it properly you have to attach FROM the fuel tank TO the converter. but the KAS pipes don't act the same ONE WAY as the stock fuel lines. I thought if I could attach a stock fuel line in EVA using KAS it would work, but unfortunately it seems that is not a part KAS can grab or attach. is there a way you can show me to do this?

Nobody has ever figured this one out, so nobody can help you. All I can suggest is you rebuild your Kethane refinery and relaunch it. Or, bend Heaven and Earth to your whim and figure out how to get a stock fuel line to be attachable all on your own. I for one would be grateful.

Nobody has ever figured this one out, so nobody can help you. All I can suggest is you rebuild your Kethane refinery and relaunch it. Or, bend Heaven and Earth to your whim and figure out how to get a stock fuel line to be attachable all on your own. I for one would be grateful.

Rats! I was afraid of that. I kinda figured that since KAS already has its own pipe system that mono-directional fuel lines would not work. unless there is a way to make the KAS pipes work where you could make them have different switching modes... bi directional or one way or the other... that would be cool.

Rats! I was afraid of that. I kinda figured that since KAS already has its own pipe system that mono-directional fuel lines would not work. unless there is a way to make the KAS pipes work where you could make them have different switching modes... bi directional or one way or the other... that would be cool.

You could use the KAS pipes and then manually transfer resources across, use the TAC fuel balancer or use the PWB fuel balancer

You could use the KAS pipes and then manually transfer resources across, use the TAC fuel balancer or use the PWB fuel balancer

That only works if the current refinery has fuel/oxidizer tanks that can be filled. If you leave the VAB with a Kethane refinery that cannot fill any fuel tanks, you are essentially screwed.

One thing you CAN do that works in a clunky way is to modify the converters to have a tiny amount of fuel and oxidizer storage. Then you could set it to pump out using another mod like those you link to, or one I've been liking lately the Goodspeed Fuel Pump. I don't think it's cheaty at all to add a 1 liter storage of each to the converter just to get around this problem. One thing I don't know is if or how badly that would bottleneck production.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This may be a stupid question... But how do I use pipes?

I've attached them and linked them in EVA, but I can't get any resources to transfer. I eventually want to transfer helium, but I can't even get liquid fuel to transfer.

Pipes won't transfer fuel automatically. You have to transfer the fuel the way you would transfer it around your craft normally.

i.e., right-click a fuel tank, alt-right-click another fuel tank, and use "out" and "in" to transfer the resource.

Or, use one of the 3 automated balance mods linked to in the post directly above yours :)

Have a question about pipelines, have 3 kethane deposits very near between them almost 1.2M of net kethane, the idea is assembly a refinery base in the middle of the 3 deposits and land 3 extractors in each deposit then link them by pipelines to my refinery/base, did someone do slightly similarly?, what problems did you found?, is possible?, any tips?, I'm all ears.

Have a question about pipelines, have 3 kethane deposits very near between them almost 1.2M of net kethane, the idea is assembly a refinery base in the middle of the 3 deposits and land 3 extractors in each deposit then link them by pipelines to my refinery/base, did someone do slightly similarly?, what problems did you found?, is possible?, any tips?, I'm all ears.

I have no idea, but one problem is that if your base is too large, it will explode. 2.5km is the physics limit but well under that people have problems. Also, I don't know if the drills extract kethane from where they are, or from where the ship's COM is. I also don't know how granular the Kethane deposits are. Do they exactly end where the hex ends, or do the hexes just show roughly where it is?

I suggest you try it and report back :)

Add this

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 2

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = True

}

to the fuel line .cfg and then you can use them with KAS

I have no idea, but one problem is that if your base is too large, it will explode. 2.5km is the physics limit but well under that people have problems. Also, I don't know if the drills extract kethane from where they are, or from where the ship's COM is. I also don't know how granular the Kethane deposits are. Do they exactly end where the hex ends, or do the hexes just show roughly where it is?

I suggest you try it and report back :)

Is not going to be very big, a couple of habitat module plus a big refinery and services. The kethane deposits are all unveiled so yes they end where the hex ends, and the drillers are all unmanned, 2 of them are positioned already in the edge of the deposit in the closest edge aiming to where the base is going to be.

The idea is drop ground pylons every 50 mts or so depending terrain but I have to estimate the distance of the base to the edge of the 3 deposits, I'm afraid I'm only going to be able to link 2 deposits the 3rd is going to be too far away.

Nope... does not work. if you grab the part it only takes the one end of the fuel line connection... and if you attach it... it does not reconnect the two ends.

also... i think it would need something else in maybe the storage box container to be able to place it in a storage box initially.

thanks for the idea though.

Add this

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 2

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = True

}

to the fuel line .cfg and then you can use them with KAS

Nope... does not work. if you grab the part it only takes the one end of the fuel line connection... and if you attach it... it does not reconnect the two ends.

also... i think it would need something else in maybe the storage box container to be able to place it in a storage box initially.

thanks for the idea though.

oh the double connect, I see maybe using the KAS strut module with the grab module?

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleStrut

nodeTransform = strutNode

type = "StrutSize1"

maxLenght = 8

maxAngle = 100

breakForce = 1

allowDock = false

hasCollider = false

tubeScale = 0.05

jointScale = 0.05

tubeSrcType = Rounded

tubeTgtType = Rounded

textureTiling = 4

evaStrutPos = (0.05, 0.059, -0.21)

evaStrutRot = (190.0, 0.0, 0.0)

tubeTexPath = KAS/Textures/strut

}

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 1

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = True

attachOnStatic = True

}

Would have to tweek the names but, In theory could work.