Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

KAS just killed my career game! I have noticed that my game memory has been getting consumed faster then normal and when I would load and try to go directly to the tracking station the game would go non-responsive and the memory would just go up and up until it hit 3.8GB and the game would crash. My persistent save file seems really huge as well and after a day and half of not being able to get to the tracking station and looking at logs and adding and removing mods it appears the KAS is at fault or to be fare KAS and it's interaction with something else.

I was loading the game, going to the VAB, loading a rocket and my memory would already be up to 3GB!!!! I removed KAS and lost the last three ships I had created that had KAS parts only one of which was in flight and my initial memory dropped down to 2.5GB and I could get into the tracking station and I could run for hours before even getting to 3GB!!!

Let me know what files I can uplink here would help to track down and fix the problem until then I will have to not use KAS

KAS just killed my career game! I have noticed that my game memory has been getting consumed faster then normal and when I would load and try to go directly to the tracking station the game would go non-responsive and the memory would just go up and up until it hit 3.8GB and the game would crash. My persistent save file seems really huge as well and after a day and half of not being able to get to the tracking station and looking at logs and adding and removing mods it appears the KAS is at fault or to be fare KAS and it's interaction with something else.

I was loading the game, going to the VAB, loading a rocket and my memory would already be up to 3GB!!!! I removed KAS and lost the last three ships I had created that had KAS parts only one of which was in flight and my initial memory dropped down to 2.5GB and I could get into the tracking station and I could run for hours before even getting to 3GB!!!

Let me know what files I can uplink here would help to track down and fix the problem until then I will have to not use KAS

If it crashed It will make a log file in KSP

EDIT ksp.log shows a lot but was thinking a crash file is created when it crashes.

Edited by Mecripp2

The issue appears to be that KAS adds modules to every single part in my persistent cfg file bloating it up to the point where I can't have more the 40 active flights. I also installed a mod called Action Group Manager and it appears to have done the same thing adding PMAction modules to every part. Between the two (kas and agm) they account for 2/3 of my entire bloated persistent cfg file and I need them out of the file which is now over 1 milloin lines!!!! 700 thousand of which are kas and pmaction modules!!! Even if I remove the kas and AGM mods from the gamedata folder all the modules stay in my persistent cfg.

The issue appears to be that KAS adds modules to every single part in my persistent cfg file bloating it up to the point where I can't have more the 40 active flights. I also installed a mod called Action Group Manager and it appears to have done the same thing adding PMAction modules to every part. Between the two (kas and agm) they account for 2/3 of my entire bloated persistent cfg file and I need them out of the file which is now over 1 milloin lines!!!! 700 thousand of which are kas and pmaction modules!!! Even if I remove the kas and AGM mods from the gamedata folder all the modules stay in my persistent cfg.

Did you try and backup your persistent cfg and load it up why in game minimize and delete it the persistent.cfg go back in game and go though normal exit it should create a new 1 could end bad but may fix it.

Just performed an epic EVA attaching 18 strut attachment points all over my large craft to strengthen it. Connected 12 of them together, and all was fine. However, next time I loaded that craft, half of those connection points broke their links and floated away. Welp, all that work for nothing. Hopefully this doesn't occur with attachment points added in the VAB.

Welcome to KAS. Wait for a proper update to 0.23 or 0.24 because the dll hasn't been touched since 0.21 or earlier.

Good advice. And it appears that strut attachment points tear off even if they're put on in the VAB, rendering them useless. Is this a common issue folks are experiencing?

Welcome to KAS. Wait for a proper update to 0.23 or 0.24 because the dll hasn't been touched since 0.21 or earlier.

This is untrue. That said, a large round of fixes is imminent, so keep your eyes out for that.

This is untrue. That said, a large round of fixes is imminent, so keep your eyes out for that.

Thanks for the update. And I see on the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement thread that KAS struts don't play nice with that particular mod, so that answers my question, I suppose.

Yeah, alright. Last time I checked the git was around the parts compatibility and the only thing nonpart related was a couple lines.

I look forward to fixes because I'm not even using KAS right now. I'd like to but it makes the game unplayable. It breaks brand new .23 installs to the point of memory leak and full lockup after just a handful of launched vehicles.

I'm having an issue with KAS.

I have a craft that launched without solar panels. It is now sitting on the Mun, dead.

I landed next to it in another craft carrying several OX-STAT solar panels.

When I attach them to the ship, they don't charge.

I've tried different locations on the ship, no help. They say they are in direct sunlight and all that, but no go.

I pulled one of the OX-4L panels off of my rescue ship and attached it to my stranded ship and it charges fine.

Has anyone else had an issues with the OX-STAT panels not working when attached "in the field"?

Edit: Nevermind, went back to the Space Center then back to the ship and it's charging away.

Edited by bowfonz

KAS 0.4.6 has been released. The download on Spaceport (link in the first post) has been updated.

This update contains fixes and improvements. Special thanks to angavrilov for contributing most of them. There are no expected compatibility issues, but it's difficult to test every change against the many possible KAS setups, so please take caution and back up your save files before updating. That said, this version should involve much less spontaneous explosion!

Changes in this version:

• Parts can now be rotated around three axes while being attached. The default key bindings still rotate around the Z axis. Hold left alt to instead rotate around the X axis, and hold right alt for the Y axis.
  • Part state is now preserved when parts are stored in containers. This means resource levels are stored as expected, and properties like whether solar panels have broken are also preserved. The mass of the container takes stored resource mass into account. Note that part statefulness must be enabled in the grab module config.
  • Modules on parts retrieved from containers are now properly initialized. This means that, for example, solar panels will function properly when attached without reloading the scene.
  • Containers are now opened through a context menu when in the editor.
  • The small three-rung ladder can now be grabbed and stored.
  • The medium dish antenna can now be grabbed and stored.
  • Winch heads are now properly dropped when boarding a vessel.
  • Tweaked rover wheel placement when held on EVA.
  • Implemented CompatibilityChecker (version 2) warnings.
  • Fixed an issue where pipe colliders would exist transiently. This removes the small camera jump when linking pipes, and it may prevent spontaneous base explosions.
  • Fixed an issue where unlinking a pipe cycle would break things.
  • The control state of the largest vessel is preserved when two vessels are connected.
  • Fixed an issue where an internal position for grabbed parts would get stuck on a bad value.
  • Fixed an issue where ladder parts were improperly initialized.
  • Fixed an issue where KAS would instantiate parts with the wrong size.
  • Fixed an issue where vessel control state could be reset when locking or unlocking a winch piece.
  • Fixed an issue where a vessel's rigidbody could be in the wrong position after being on rails.
  • Fixed an issue where attach parts like struts and pipes would not reattach on vessel load if they were not active (staged).
  • Part names are no longer modified when parts are instantiated by KAS.
  • Docked state is now symmetric (both modules know they are docked) and redundant docking events have been removed.
  • Reduced the performance overhead of the grab module.
  • Struts, pipes and winches now clean themselves up on part destruction.
  • Keystrokes are ignored while an edit field is active.
  • Unlocking winches now works with any joint type.
  • Fixed an ID conflict between the winch and container windows.

Lags in VAB, Debug window said " Wrong KAS library" What did i do wrong =O.

I deleted the old KAS folder and installed the new one, when i tried to load an old craft without KAS parts and launched it was the worst lag ever, 1/20 of a sec, same result with a new craft without and with KAS parts, Reinstalled the 0.4.5 Now and that fixed the problem.

What info do you need from me to better hunt this bug down and hopefully fix it ?

[*]Part state is now preserved when parts are stored in containers. This means resource levels are stored as expected, and properties like whether solar panels have broken are also preserved. The mass of the container takes stored resource mass into account. Note that part statefulness must be enabled in the grab module config.

Nice! Can resources actually be consumed from stored parts?

Lags in VAB, Debug window said " Wrong KAS library" What did i do wrong =O.

I deleted the old KAS folder and installed the new one, when i tried to load an old craft without KAS parts and launched it was the worst lag ever, 1/20 of a sec, same result with a new craft without and with KAS parts, Reinstalled the 0.4.5 Now and that fixed the problem.

What info do you need from me to better hunt this bug down and hopefully fix it ?

Upload KSP_Data/output.log somewhere for a start. :)

Nice! Can resources actually be consumed from stored parts?

No, containers will just remember that your tank was empty when you stored it and not magically refill it when taken out again. Btw, since now certain parts have individuality in the container, Take & Store is guaranteed to cycle through them in order stored so that you can find the right one eventually.

Edited by a.g.

Did it look like this

@PART[*]:HAS[#mass < 1]

{

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

grabKey = g

maxDistance = 3

breakForce = 3

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.1, -0.3)

evaPartRot = (10.0, -180.0, 180.0)

addPartMass = false

grabSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grab

}

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleAttach

attachKey = h

rotateLeftKey = b

rotateRightKey = n

surfaceDist = 0.169

maxDistance = 3

allowPart = True

allowEva = False

allowStatic = True

sendMsgOnly = False

pointerUseModel = True

partRot = (-90.0, -15.0, 0.0)

attachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/attach

detachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/detach

}

}

I used this:

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaTransformName = jetpackCollider

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

attachNodeName = null

customGroundPos = false

dropPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

dropPartRot = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)

physicJoint = false

addPartMass = true

storable = false

stateless = true

storedSize = 1

bayType = null

bayNode = top

bayRot = (0, 0, 0)

attachMaxDist = 2

attachOnPart = false

attachOnEva = false

attachOnStatic = false

attachSendMsgOnly = false

grabSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grab

attachPartSndPath = KAS/Sounds/attach

attachStaticSndPath = KAS/Sounds/grappleAttachStatic

detachSndPath = KAS/Sounds/detach

}

from here: https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/Part%20modules

with some tweak

Right clicking anything with storage instantly showing the list of things you can add to the storage needs to be changed, it means you can't manipulate your camera while your cursor is over a part that stores KAS stuff including some pods like the ALCOR and LLL stuff etc, very annoying, perhaps gate it behind the action group manager tab? (In a away that doesn't interfere with tweakables/fuel mods) or perhaps some key + left/right click?

I agree with this! Can you maybe not open the window on the start of the click, but at the end (so when you release the button again), and check in between, if there was some movement (if so, don't open)? Then would be the best I guess. And if possible, it would be great if you could check the available parts if they have been unlocked in the career/science tree already. In order not to cheat I have to compare each parts manually...

Right clicking anything with storage instantly showing the list of things you can add to the storage needs to be changed, it means you can't manipulate your camera while your cursor is over a part that stores KAS stuff including some pods like the ALCOR and LLL stuff etc, very annoying, perhaps gate it behind the action group manager tab? (In a away that doesn't interfere with tweakables/fuel mods) or perhaps some key + left/right click?

What? You're describing the old behavior. As of 0.4.6, there's an "Edit Container" button in each container's context menu.