Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Right clicking anything with storage instantly showing the list of things you can add to the storage needs to be changed, it means you can't manipulate your camera while your cursor is over a part that stores KAS stuff including some pods like the ALCOR and LLL stuff etc, very annoying, perhaps gate it behind the action group manager tab? (In a away that doesn't interfere with tweakables/fuel mods) or perhaps some key + left/right click?
I don't see in the release notes (or anywhere) what those default keys are. I recently tried (vaguely recalling that rotation was now possible) trying various keys on my keyboard and nothing worked. I tried arrows, numpad, and various letters.

Its hidden a few pages back:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53134-Kerbal-Attachment-System-%28KAS%29-0-4-6-Smarter-part-containers-fewer-explosions%21?p=974407&viewfull=1#post974407

Uh... isn't that the post Horseman quoted?

no, JewelShisen quoted the relevant part to the Horseman but he asked where the rest of the release notes were. Unless I misread it.

edit: I did misread, apologies.

Try this: https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/Default-keyboard-shortcuts

Edited by psyper

Yes, I don't think bolting/screwing is not what we want to do with a bag

or anything else really - it always makes me cringe when I hear Jeb drilling a pipe end in to a fuel tank WHAT YOU DOING JEB NOOOOOO *kaboom*

no, JewelShisen quoted the relevant part to the Horseman but he asked where the rest of the release notes were. Unless I misread it.

edit: I did misread, apologies.

Try this: https://github.com/KospY/KAS/wiki/Default-keyboard-shortcuts

Sweet thanks. I don't know how I never hit B or N. I thought I hit every key :)

Any (modulemanager) config file for mass adding things with low mass and volume to KAS grab/attach/store ability?

No, but there are discussions on the ModuleManager thread about it right now. Probably by people coming right from here :)

Would it be horrible to just add it to all parts that radially attach? Some things would be crazy (radial decouplers with engines attached to them, is the only example I can think of) but those I think are tiny exceptions to an otherwise almost universal rule.

EDIT: I just searched the parts and radial attachment points, the hardpoint, and the structural pylon are the only other things that don't make sense to be grabbable. Most other things ARE grabbable already.

I suppose you could argue against Kethane and KAC's drills as well but when you start talking mods there are way too many parts to consider. and why not be able to move a Kethane drill around? :)

Edited by 5thHorseman

No, but there are discussions on the ModuleManager thread about it right now. Probably by people coming right from here :)

Would it be horrible to just add it to all parts that radially attach? Some things would be crazy (radial decouplers with engines attached to them, is the only example I can think of) but those I think are tiny exceptions to an otherwise almost universal rule.

That won't be a problem, as you can't grab 'two' parts. If you grab 1 part that has another part attached, the other part will detach too and fall away. So in this case, you'd be removing an engine manually.

EDIT: I just searched the parts and radial attachment points, the hardpoint, and the structural pylon are the only other things that don't make sense to be grabbable. Most other things ARE grabbable already.

I suppose you could argue against Kethane and KAC's drills as well but when you start talking mods there are way too many parts to consider. and why not be able to move a Kethane drill around? :)

What about the big white radial engines?

What about the big white radial engines?

The Mark 55s? I don't use them very often so didn't know they're not currently detachable. If you can detach the other radial engines and can also detach girders and the large radial monoprop containers, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to detach the Mark 55s.

Edited by 5thHorseman

The Mark 55s? I don't use them very often so didn't know they're not currently detachable. If you can detach the other radial engines and can also detach girders and the large radial monoprop containers, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to detach the Mark 55s.

Am I the only one that looks at that and thinks "JETPACK"?

The more I look at this, the more I think it's gotta be done - at least partially - on a part-by-part basis. I see no way in ModuleManager to modify based on if a part is radially (surface) attachable, and as we've found "less than 1 ton" is not possible either. Add to that the fact that you have to define certain parameters based on the part's size and shape, and the whole thing falls apart.

So for stock parts it should be easy, really I personally only want the large monoprop tanks and goo containers to be grabbable. And I'm curious what would happen if you made fuel lines and struts grabbable. It'd be nice to clean up the cruft on my ships

Guys have a problem in one of my vessels, the hatch of my lander seems to be obstructed by a real chute radial parachute my crew is unable to EVA it, I need to reposition that part how do I add KAS functionality to the radial real chute?

Guys have a problem in one of my vessels, the hatch of my lander seems to be obstructed by a real chute radial parachute my crew is unable to EVA it, I need to reposition that part how do I add KAS functionality to the radial real chute?

You can add the module to the part then you can grab it but sounds like you will have to send other ship so a kerbal can move it if you can't get out.

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.09)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 1

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

}

}

You can add the module to the part then you can grab it but sounds like you will have to send other ship so a kerbal can move it if you can't get out.

MODULE

{

name = KASModuleGrab

evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.00, -0.09)

evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)

storable = true

storedSize = 1

attachOnPart = True

attachOnEva = False

attachOnStatic = False

attachSendMsgOnly = False

}

}

}

Thanks man, I'm out home now but I'll try this later for sure, thank God my lander is docked with the command vehicle.

Don't paste the last 2 "}"s as they will break the part, as in it wont show up in game.

If you can't get a kerbal out of your pod vessel then you won't be able to remove the parachute part, because parts can only be grabbed/detached by an EVA kerbal.

Don't paste the last 2 "}"s as they will break the part, as in it wont show up in game.

If you can't get a kerbal out of your pod vessel then you won't be able to remove the parachute part, because parts can only be grabbed/detached by an EVA kerbal.

Thanks man for the tip, luckily me the ALCOR module with my ''trapped'' Kerbal is docked with a thor command module that is manned with my commander and my pilot. :wink:

I'm trying to add KAS grabbableness to parts and I can't find a way to do it cleanly. The only way it works is by adding the parts to the GameData\KAS\addModule.cfg along with the other stock parts. Because of this, I have to remember to not overwrite this file in every update and I can't distribute it easily if anybody else wants it.

I've tried making a modulemanager config to add similar lines to stock parts that the KAS parts have, and that did not work. I also tried creating a new addModule.cfg file (named addModule2.cfg) and it didn't load.

It seems that the addModule thing is hard coded to just work as-is and there's no other way to add grabability to a part. I hope I'm wrong. Has anybody else gotten it to work?