Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I met the following problem on my Mun Rover mission.

Rover was low on power storage, so I sent a ship with container of batteries.

Orfrod Kerman went to pick up batteries and attach them to rover to increase storage.

I took a battery, quick saved (for whatever reason, I do not know) and attached it. After a first 100 meters riding tipped over and destroyed whole thing.

Quick loaded.

Orfrod Kerman stands in front of rover, and I clearly see how the battery detaches from his back and falls on the ground. Right clicking it brings up the menu, but I cannot attach it anywhere ("Too far from source" or whatever same...)

OK. I tried to "drop" the thing that lies beside me on the ground. Fat chance.

Meanwhile, while walking around I slightly tapped onthe battery. It started shaking a little bit and then fallen right through the ground.

Camera started to move underground, trying to keep center of mass of "Orfrod and battery" system on screen. I lost ability to see Orfrod, nor I have been able to see battery.

Quick loaded.

Not touching a battery, ran quickly to the crew hatch, and leapes inside the rover. Battery fallen through the ground right after that and we have not seen it since.

Summarizing everything: Probably, quicksaved on Kerbals parts must be detached from Kerbals correctly instead of trying to keep it attached no matter what. :)

Is anyone else having an issue that the part at the end of a winch cable (in my case it was a magnet) just drops like the which was set to "release" when in +4 time acceleration (none physical if that's the term lol), it's just that when ever time is slowed again the cable slingshots back to the proper length setting...imagine stretching out an elastic band with a rock on one end...then letting go and having the rock cracking back into your knuckle....

...except your "knuckle" is filled with rocket fuel and the "rock" is...well still something really heavy smashing into it...

...on the bright side the explosions are pretty amazing :P

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw this in the KAS wiki as a KSP engine issue :)

Second question! :)

Is there a way to make things like parachutes "massless" when I carry them in EVA? certian parts have no mass (or very little impact on the way EVA handles or flies), is this something I could modify with module manager?

Edited by Eggman360

Has anyone else had the problem of being unable to right-click on anything on a kerbals back? Whenever I grab a part and the GUI goes away I am unable to do anything about it unless I enter and leave a ship, leaving the part hanging in space until I grab it again. All I get when I try to click on the part is the Kerbal info page with EVA report etc.

As a workaround, the hot keys to grab, attach, etc still work even if the right click menu does not.

Hi guys, a couple of questions for you,

Is it possible to control multiple winches at the same time, for example, if I were to attach a winch to 4 corners of an object and lower it level?

Secondly, is it possible to attach cables within the VAB, from a winch to a port?

Thanks all.

Hey, anyone interested in extra functional parts that use the KAS functionality should check out my [WIP] A-EVA mod, (Actual-Extra-Vehicular-Activities), http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77669-wip-0-23-5-A-E-V-A-%28Actual-Extra-vehicle-Activity%29

Here is a preview of the sorts of things i'll be making and working on once I get the green-light to release :)

A personal portable Kethane/Ore/Mineral drill, it has its own internal battery and small storage tank, thoughts? :D

w5jQyIl.png

Hey, anyone interested in extra functional parts that use the KAS functionality should check out my [WIP] A-EVA mod, (Actual-Extra-Vehicular-Activities), http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77669-wip-0-23-5-A-E-V-A-%28Actual-Extra-vehicle-Activity%29

Here is a preview of the sorts of things i'll be making and working on once I get the green-light to release :)

A personal portable Kethane/Ore/Mineral drill, it has its own internal battery and small storage tank, thoughts? :D

http://i.imgur.com/w5jQyIl.png

Oh wow, looking forward to this! Very slick :)

I'd like to make some modifications for myself but I'm not exactly a pro in editing cfgs or using Module Manager, so it would be great if someone could help me out here. I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to edit some of the part cfgs so that e.g. a Radial connector port would stay attached to a KAS Container even when I grab the container, stick it in a Container Bay or release it from a bay? Every time I do this, the connector port falls off.

2. I'd like to make some mod parts grabbable and I wanna try to figure this one out (most of it :P) on my own from the part modules documentation. How do I figure out good values for stuff like evaPartPos or evaPartDir though? Is it trial and error as in quit game, edit cfg, restart and see if it works out?

3. Which leads me to this question. Is there a thread or a blog where people bring some good cfgs for e.g. grabbable parts (or cfgs for other mods) from the more popular mods like RT2, KW, B9 and AIES? Is it really hundreds of folks sitting in notepad, writing some good cfgs for inter-mod compatibility and using them themselves with the occasional guy posting a dropbox link once every 50 pages? I mean there is merit in learning stuff, but sharing is caring :)

Bonus question: When I switch between vessels and then back to one with unattached containers on it, the physics go nuts for a second and they bump around all over the place. Anyone with experience what could fix this one? Maybe Kerbal Joint Reinforcement?

Thanks in advance & sorry for the long read.

Honeybadga, i can't answer your other questions right now, but there's a KAS debug menu (i think its alt+k) that will let you change direction and position in-game. You'd need to make them grabbable with a cfg first though. I'm at work now so if you don't get an answer by the time I'm home, I'll help ya out :)

Honeybadga, i can't answer your other questions right now, but there's a KAS debug menu (i think its alt+k) that will let you change direction and position in-game. You'd need to make them grabbable with a cfg first though. I'm at work now so if you don't get an answer by the time I'm home, I'll help ya out :)

Oh sweet, that's a start right there! Thanks a bunch :D

1. Is it possible to edit some of the part cfgs so that e.g. a Radial connector port would stay attached to a KAS Container even when I grab the container, stick it in a Container Bay or release it from a bay? Every time I do this, the connector port falls off.

2. I'd like to make some mod parts grabbable and I wanna try to figure this one out (most of it :P) on my own from the part modules documentation. How do I figure out good values for stuff like evaPartPos or evaPartDir though? Is it trial and error as in quit game, edit cfg, restart and see if it works out?

3. Which leads me to this question. Is there a thread or a blog where people bring some good cfgs for e.g. grabbable parts (or cfgs for other mods) from the more popular mods like RT2, KW, B9 and AIES? Is it really hundreds of folks sitting in notepad, writing some good cfgs for inter-mod compatibility and using them themselves with the occasional guy posting a dropbox link once every 50 pages? I mean there is merit in learning stuff, but sharing is caring :)

Right:

1, I don't know. One way round it is to grab the container and then attach the connector port, but I suspect that will detach when you put it in a bay or release it. I don't think there's anything you can edits in the cfgs to stop this.

2, As I said, there's a KAS debug menu which is what you're after. You have to drop and then regrab the item for any changes to take affect (protip: don't grab a vital part of your ship in deep space, put the values really big then drop it again. Took me ages to find my antenna again..)

3, I think it honestly doesn't cross peoples minds to put their cfgs out there for other people. I know I've written plenty, but I don't know if it's relevant to other people so I don't want to waste time uploading it. Anyway, this is your basic MM config to add KAS grab and store functionality to any part:

@PART[nameofpartgoeshere]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab // don't change this, it tells KAS what to do with the part
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.15) // where the part is in relation to the kerbal
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1) // how the part is orientated on the kerbal
storable = true // want to put it in containers? make this true. Otherwise, false
storedSize = 5 // how much room in the container it takes up. Delete this line if above is false
attachOnPart = True // want to attach the part to other parts? Of course you do, so leave it true
attachOnEva = False // As far as I can tell, this means 'can attach to a kerbal on EVA'. No idea why you'd want to though
attachOnStatic = False // Can attach to static objects like the ground, buildings. You wouldn't normally need this but things like the KAS ground pylon use it
}
}

You'll need to tweak the values for evaPartPos and Dir, but you can do that in-game. The bit in square brackets at the start is the name of the part you want to add KAS to - for example, to add it to the tiny monopropellant engine from RLA Stockalike, it'd be @PART[RLA_mp_tiny]. To use a stock example, if you want to carry the little probe landing legs, it'd be @PART[miniLandingLeg]. To make these, make a new text file somewhere in the Gamedata folder (I have all mine in a personal folder of my own to keep track of everything), enter the above into it, save it as whateveryouwant.cfg and you're done.

There's various MM terminology you can use to apply the same functionality to many parts, but some parts might need different parameters so you might as well stick to just doing it part by part. Hope this helps! Now go off and KASify all the things! :D If you get stuck, it'd be worth checking the MM thread to make sure your syntax is correct. ModuleManager 2.0.3 has some nifty syntax but you don't need to use that with this so anything higher than 1.5.6 will do the job nicely.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

So, when I make the Communotron 32 from RT2 grabbable via MM, it won't let me extend the antenna ingame anymore. I can still activate it but the animation for extending it won't play and in the right-click GUI there is a line that says "Status: Locked". Here is what I put in my config:

@PART[RTLongAntenna2]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleGrab
evaPartPos = (0.0, 0.0, -0.09)
evaPartDir = (0,0,-1)
storable = true
storedSize = 9
attachOnPart = True
attachOnEva = False
attachOnStatic = False
attachSendMsgOnly = False
}
}

When I remove the cfg, everything works fine again.

Not sure if this is a KAS issue or if I should bring this to the RT2 thread.

So, when I make the Communotron 32 from RT2 grabbable via MM, it won't let me extend the antenna ingame anymore. I can still activate it but the animation for extending it won't play and in the right-click GUI there is a line that says "Status: Locked".

I feel so bad because this is what I told you to do but apparently something has broken along the way and I don't know what it is.. I'm so sorry, I can't help you with this, I don't have RT2 so I can't replicate this but yeah.. sorry! :(

I feel so bad because this is what I told you to do but apparently something has broken along the way and I don't know what it is.. I'm so sorry, I can't help you with this, I don't have RT2 so I can't replicate this but yeah.. sorry! :(

Please don't feel bad. You've helped me quite a bit there and I'm thankful. I think there are others who ran into this issue as well. I compared the lines of code to the ones that are in KAS' own addModule.cfg and they're pretty much the same for the stock Communotron 16 (except storedSize). Problem is now I have a probe out of range and I can't extend it's Communotron 32 after I removed my MM cfg. Gotta send a relay probe there first.

Can I add entries to the addModule.cfg or is this only for stock parts?

So, when I make the Communotron 32 from RT2 grabbable via MM, it won't let me extend the antenna ingame anymore. I can still activate it but the animation for extending it won't play and in the right-click GUI there is a line that says "Status: Locked". Here is what I put in my config:

When I remove the cfg, everything works fine again.

Not sure if this is a KAS issue or if I should bring this to the RT2 thread.

There's a known incompatibility between RT2 and KAS, up to and including game crashes. I don't know of any fix, sorry.

Hi, I was just curious, is there any plans to potentially add some kind of winch pulley into the KAS system?

My apologies if it has been asked before an my searching of the thread wasn't complete enough.

The "pump here" thing with pipes doesn't seem to do anything, at all :/

i've the same problem... i can't transfer fuel!

please help me! I'm becaming crazy!!!

also connecting winch I have no result.

sorry for my english...