Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

I'm having an issue with some KASable parts in the Universal Storage mod, but I'm not sure if it's a bug or bad config on my part.

The core part is set as a bay with the wedge as a grabable part. The wedge then attaches to the bay via the same node that they were attached with in the VAB.

The wedge fits perfectly when the craft was built, but if I then grab the part on eva and reattach it, it appears slightly skewed.

Before

2014-04-30-08_26_39-Kerbal-Space-Program-1024x852.png

After, showing the wedge misaligned.

2014-04-30-08_27_04-Kerbal-Space-Program.png

Hi all,

I'm loving this mod. I'm building a big kethane extraction/processing site on Minmus.

I've hit a slight snag with it elsewhere. During an orbital EVA my kerbal can open a container and get out an item (say a pipe endpoint or a strut endpoint). It appears on his back just like it should. But then I can't right-click select the part to do anything with it. The part lights up green when I hover the mouse over it, but the right click brings up the context menu for the kerbal, not for the part. So I can't do anything with the part. I can re-open the container and stow the part back in the container but anything requiring the part's right-click menu is unavailable.

Everything works just fine down on the surface. It is only during an orbital eva that this happens. Is this a known behaviour of the mod? I'm running 0.23.0, not 0.23.5.

Is there any version of Kerbal Attachment System for 0.23.0 patch?
Hi all,

I'm loving this mod. I'm building a big kethane extraction/processing site on Minmus.

I've hit a slight snag with it elsewhere. During an orbital EVA my kerbal can open a container and get out an item (say a pipe endpoint or a strut endpoint). It appears on his back just like it should. But then I can't right-click select the part to do anything with it. The part lights up green when I hover the mouse over it, but the right click brings up the context menu for the kerbal, not for the part. So I can't do anything with the part. I can re-open the container and stow the part back in the container but anything requiring the part's right-click menu is unavailable.

Everything works just fine down on the surface. It is only during an orbital eva that this happens. Is this a known behaviour of the mod? I'm running 0.23.0, not 0.23.5.

I think 0.4.6 was the last version compiled against 0.23.0. If you're having issues with 0.4.7 on KSP 0.23, you might try rolling back to check whether the problem is version-related.

I'm a little confused as to where I can find the storage container or what tech I need for it. I wanted to have a small rover that could be easily attached to a lander, run off gather samples and run back. I downloaded the Pandora rover although I got fed up trying to get it assembled (KSP refuses to let me snap to points that should). Anywho I was going to salvage it but I can't find a container to put soil samples and data reports in.

I think 0.4.6 was the last version compiled against 0.23.0. If you're having issues with 0.4.7 on KSP 0.23, you might try rolling back to check whether the problem is version-related.

OK, tried that but it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. I'll try starting a new sandbox game in a fresh directory without so many other mods and see if it works for me there.

Experiencing some oddities with KAS 0.4.7 the struts seem to be, uhh, rubbery? They flex and stretch after linking and don't really seem to be holding all that well, connections are loose and reinforcing with additional connections doesn't seem to help.

The part.cfg for the KAS_Strut1 has maxLenght instead of maxLength (not sure if that's relevant to the issue)?

How should the KAS strut compare to the linearStrength/angularStrength (150/150) of the stock strut, or there a way to make them a bit more rigid?

In terms of structural stability, you're better off connecting a fuel line than a KAS strut.

If the the fuel line is giving more structural strength than the strut, that sounds like a bug which should be looked into

The KAS fuel pipe ends are about 2.6 times heavier than the KAS struts, and it is a known thing that part mass matters for connection strength. Stock struts are non-physical and actually create a connection directly between parts they are attached to.

The KAS fuel pipe ends are about 2.6 times heavier than the KAS struts, and it is a known thing that part mass matters for connection strength. Stock struts are non-physical and actually create a connection directly between parts they are attached to.

Perhaps the KAS struts could do this too?

Perhaps the KAS struts could do this too?

I would be fine with some 0.05 mass 'heavy strut' endpoints (making each strut/pair 0.1 mass) if that meant more strength than a fuel pipe for situations that call for it.

I'm sure the current 0.0075 mass strut ends are fine for a lot of things, but something heavier for when the going gets tough and the SLS tanks are trying to do the wacky inflatable arm man dance would be very helpful.

Hi. I'm trying to add KAS support via a MM config to a part to make it function as a large container. I wrote this in the cfg:

%MODULE[KASModuleContainer]
{
maxSize = 500
}

And it adds the container function as desired. BUT, it also changes the mass of the part from 6 tonnes, to a mere 0.216 tonnes - the weight of the KAS module itself.

Why is that and how do I change it? I've got "@mass = 6.0" in the cfg already and it worked until I added KAS.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:Nevermind this post, I made a mistake. It turns out the problem is with adding RealFuels which I forgot I also did. The example above works just fine.

Edited by ThorBeorn

Hi. I'm trying to add KAS support via a MM config to a part to make it function as a large container. I wrote this in the cfg:

%MODULE[KASModuleContainer]
{
maxSize = 500
}

And it adds the container function as desired. BUT, it also changes the mass of the part from 6 tonnes, to a mere 0.216 tonnes - the weight of the KAS module itself.

Why is that and how do I change it? I've got "@mass = 6.0" in the cfg already and it worked until I added KAS.

Thanks in advance.

why the complicated code? post the rest of the code if its a huge cfg

the simple way wont suffice?

@PART[partNameHERE]
{
MODULE
{
name = KASModuleContainer
maxSize = 40
}
}

what about testing for the presence of the KAS Module in the part search - this one tests for the presence of the CommandModule and the absence of the KASModuleContainer

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[KASModuleContainer]]

Edited by skbernard
code tag didnt work, more info

Thanks for your reply. I don't see what's complicated about my code, compared to your suggestion? I just wanted to add KASModuleContainer to one specific part, which I did, not to all parts with CommandModule.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I'm talking about one mod specific cfg here, and yes it's huge.

OT: Regarding the problem with mass being low, it turns out RealFuels automatically changes mass of parts with ModuleFuelTanks if you don't tell it not to. Problem solved anyway!

Can KAS cables support collisions? Could this be implemented as optional feature? Maybe via making cables to consist of N (10-20 for 50m cables) number of segments, which are treated as procedural parts?

Can KAS cables support collisions? Could this be implemented as optional feature? Maybe via making cables to consist of N (10-20 for 50m cables) number of segments, which are treated as procedural parts?

Got a Hoth snowspeeder and an AT-AT you're wanting to wind up and take down? ;)