Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

If I remember correctly I used to be able to connect the pipe end points in a "undocked" option. This would allow me to attach cargo in planes and such. Anyway this can be added back in like we now have with the plugs? Here is a link to a screen shot on exactly what I mean http://i.imgur.com/9WixsQ3.jpg

Wow that's cool :D

To my previous post I'd like to suggest making placeable strut end points connectable in VAB. I'm doing much construction with actual reusability and some of the vehicles have both stock strut reinforcments of decoupling parts and placeable end points to allow reinforcments after parts have been redocked. And thus stock end points stay there on my craft, keeping high partcount and doing literally nothing but looking gross.

Also it'll be good to have ability to connect two cable connectors to each other with cable of optional lenght that can be choosen from presets in tweaking menu. Both in VAB and in flight. The cable length then stays constant. And of course I'd like to have cable collisions here too.

Got a Hoth snowspeeder and an AT-AT you're wanting to wind up and take down? ;)

No, one of my aims is to recreate Fulton recovery procedure, and make nets for some appliances.

Majir, I believe I located a bug in the KAS 4.7 release.

The issue comes while reverting a flight from EVA whilst "grabbing" a part.

The steps to replicate this bug involve

1. Launch a ship from the pad. Make sure there is an octagonal strut somewhere within reach.

2. EVA a kerbal from the launched vessel

3. Grab a cubic octagonal strut. I can't confirm this bug with any other pieces (yet)

4. go to the escape menu and "revert to VAB"

5. proft. (crash)

I can provide a craft file if necessary.

Here is the output_log: http://dumpr.info/td/1pbp1tu

Relevant information?

The cubic octagonal strut in question was the base piece for a rover. There were no ill effects when the piece was initially grabbed.

I play with other mods:

FAR

DR

EVE

Kethane

MKS

Texture Replacer

Firespitter.dll

Infernal Robotics

Docking Indicator

Realchute

Active texture management

I am running a windows 7 system.

If anything else can be provided to help you let me know. Thanks for all the time you invest in these mods.

Anyone having issues grabbing a part out of a container only to have it fly straight up? I tried this on the launchpad and when I grab the part, in this case a pipe end, it never attached to me. Next thing I know I see it falling out of the sky and smashing into the ground and exploding.

Not sure if the mod maintainers/authors are about, but I'd like to request a license waver to distribute a part with KASModuleStrut, per this bit of the license under the 'YOU MAY NOT' heading:

"• Use components of the KAS plugin, including parts and part modules, except where explicitly allowed."

So I would like to request a waiver for this to use in making large tubes for connecting base components please :)

Why on earth is that even a restriction?

More to the point, I don't think Majiir actually has the right to restrict that. If you're using KAS as a dependency for a part, that doesn't mean you are redistributing any parts of KAS as your own, and that usage should fall under fair use as a derivative work (at most). The part config is (presumably) your creation, and in effect, would be equivalent to using an MM config to do the same thing. It may require KAS' modules to be present, but that doesn't mean KAS' creator can dictate which parts you may use.

I seriously doubt the legitimacy of this part of the license:

Distribute your own parts using the following part modules:

KASModuleGrab

KASModuleContainer

KASModulePartBay

KASModulePort

Pretty sure the license is overstepping its bounds at that point.

In any case, that's an excessively draconian license, to presume to restrict what other authors may or may not do with their own works. The authority of those statements are rendered even more invalid in the context of KAS being and open-source extension of KSP, provided freely and at no cost.

I'll need to go digging through legislation to find precedent but I have serious doubts. It's rather like someone making a painting that requires a UV lamp to be visible, and the UV lamp manufacturer saying you can't use their UV lamps like that. (Not exactly; the law is somewhat different but it's a rough analogy at least.)

Edited by phoenix_ca

I was wondering if you were to take the code for the pipes, add them to a new docking port design, add some texture and make it into a docking tunnel? That way when you make a base you can have walkways stretching between ports.

I was wondering if you were to take the code for the pipes, add them to a new docking port design, add some texture and make it into a docking tunnel? That way when you make a base you can have walkways stretching between ports.

That sounds exactly like what Rover is trying to do (and succeeding at doing).

It's perfectly valid for a mod author to dictate what parts of his/her content is allowed to be reused in what context. As such if you want to redistribute something that doesn't abide by the rules set up by the mods author I suggest you contact the author and ask for permission.

By appearances there seems to be some confusion here with "redistributing bits of KAS", whether they're parts or code; and "making things that are dependent on KAS". Dependency is totally fine, redistributing bits of KAS is not.

It's perfectly valid for a mod author to dictate what parts of his/her content is allowed to be reused in what context. As such if you want to redistribute something that doesn't abide by the rules set up by the mods author I suggest you contact the author and ask for permission.

Concur, and tried to ask permission (both here and via PM when I first started MKS) given that the one part module I need to use is one they explicitly state I cannot derive from in a distributed part.

KospY wrote those license terms, so I'll need to be cautious about making any changes. He decided to allow the use of some modules and not others. For now, I'll ask you to respect that decision. However, if you have specific plans you'd like to discuss, feel free to get in touch and a case-by-case exception may be more appropriate. (My PM inbox is full, so #kspmodders or email please.)

KospY wrote those license terms, so I'll need to be cautious about making any changes. He decided to allow the use of some modules and not others. For now, I'll ask you to respect that decision. However, if you have specific plans you'd like to discuss, feel free to get in touch and a case-by-case exception may be more appropriate. (My PM inbox is full, so #kspmodders or email please.)

Thanks, will do!

This might be a bit of a silly question as I think it exceeds what KAS is meant to do, however..

I've been plodding along with a sample collecting mod which is KAS dependent.

What I'm trying to do is essentially return completed experiments to collect science while they are stored in a KAS container.

Testing so far hasn't been promising. Is there a way for this to be done elegantly within the current constraints of the code? I'd rather not reinvent something that exists already.

Awesome mod by the way, got me all excited with possibilities! :)

This might be a bit of a silly question as I think it exceeds what KAS is meant to do, however..

I've been plodding along with a sample collecting mod which is KAS dependent.

What I'm trying to do is essentially return completed experiments to collect science while they are stored in a KAS container.

Testing so far hasn't been promising. Is there a way for this to be done elegantly within the current constraints of the code? I'd rather not reinvent something that exists already.

I don't know if this is what your talking about but its close http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/54370-Radially-Attached-Experimental-Data-Storage-Container-(New-download-link)

I the hell out of this mod.

By appearances there seems to be some confusion here with "redistributing bits of KAS", whether they're parts or code; and "making things that are dependent on KAS". Dependency is totally fine, redistributing bits of KAS is not.

The problem is that that's exactly what the wording of the license tries to restrict; dependency. In effect, trying to reserve a right that was never the author's right to reserve in the first place.

Yes, but we aren't talking about redistribution of anything here. We're talking about making a piece of code (say, a config file) that is dependent on KAS. Restrictions on that kind of use are unreasonable.

To draw another analogy (which I'm stuck with until I manage to dig-up some legal cases that apply; remarkably difficult since words like dependency are primarily used in the context of juvenile law, not software :mad: ), it would be unreasonable for Adobe to dictate to its users what art they may create with their software. The PSD file that is created from that is dependent on Photoshop for it to be interpreted and used correctly, but that does not mean that Adobe can apply arbitrary standards like "no da-da art may use the pen tool". Similarly, Adobe has no ability to restrict software extensions that anyone may create. As long as they aren't redistributing Adobe's property, there is nothing they could do via a license agreement to prevent, say, Topaz Labs from operating. Can a word processor claim ownership of the words written with it?

No offence, but both you (DYJ) and RoverDude are talking about something completely different and irrelevant to the point I originally brought up. This isn't about redistribution, it's about dependency.

Furthermore, the license agreement is between the creator and the user, it is not between the creator and any other person out there writing code for KSP. If that were actually the case, then I could just release a mod that made a tiny edit to how every API call worked with KSP and say in the license "You may not distribute any parts that use the modules in this mod" and instantly take-over complete control of the KSP modding community. :P

KospY made a mistake writing those license terms, adding invalid restrictions (or possibly not understanding what he was actually saying) and it should be corrected. Majiir should have the right to adjust the license, assuming he took ownership of the code.

Edited by phoenix_ca

I'm using an outdated version of KSP (0.23) because of the outdated mods and I'm using a lot of them. I can't seem to find the download link for a KAS version suitable for 0.23. Yeah, it works, but the grab function, a big component of the mod, is dysfunctional and picking stuff up or basically everything that has to do with holding objects on the back of your Kerbal. Don't tell me that mods are incompatible, I've tried it singularly. Someone please give me a link for the version for 0.23 KAS.

The problem is that that's exactly what the wording of the license tries to restrict; dependency. In effect, trying to reserve a right that was never the author's right to reserve in the first place.

Yes, but we aren't talking about redistribution of anything here. We're talking about making a piece of code (say, a config file) that is dependent on KAS. Restrictions on that kind of use are unreasonable.

To draw another analogy (which I'm stuck with until I manage to dig-up some legal cases that apply; remarkably difficult since words like dependency are primarily used in the context of juvenile law, not software :mad: ), it would be unreasonable for Adobe to dictate to its users what art they may create with their software. The PSD file that is created from that is dependent on Photoshop for it to be interpreted and used correctly, but that does not mean that Adobe can apply arbitrary standards like "no da-da art may use the pen tool". Similarly, Adobe has no ability to restrict software extensions that anyone may create. As long as they aren't redistributing Adobe's property, there is nothing they could do via a license agreement to prevent, say, Topaz Labs from operating. Can a word processor claim ownership of the words written with it?

No offence, but both you (DYJ) and RoverDude are talking about something completely different and irrelevant to the point I originally brought up. This isn't about redistribution, it's about dependency.

Furthermore, the license agreement is between the creator and the user, it is not between the creator and any other person out there writing code for KSP. If that were actually the case, then I could just release a mod that made a tiny edit to how every API call worked with KSP and say in the license "You may not distribute any parts that use the modules in this mod" and instantly take-over complete control of the KSP modding community. :P

KospY made a mistake writing those license terms, adding invalid restrictions (or possibly not understanding what he was actually saying) and it should be corrected. Majiir should have the right to adjust the license, assuming he took ownership of the code.

Even if KospY was mistaken in trying to control what code dependent on KAS can be distributed, it's a forgivable mistake to make. The people behind the GNU GPL take the position that a program that calls functions in a library is a work based on the library, which is a pretty similar scenario to a KSP part using a module from somebody else's plugin.

Sometimes i have problems "clicking" a part when in EVA.

It attaches on your back, and if the menu goes away, there is no way to get it back until you pick up another piece and swap again.

This is especially true more often in space, then on ground.

Is this a known issue or am i just doing something wrong?

/Rikard