Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) 0.4.7 - Pipes as fuel lines and even fewer explosions!

Majiir

Well, it seems I'll be using quantum struts for my docked crafts instead of EVA-strutting. Welp... I prefer to have the 64 bit version running all the time. :)

QSC works perfectly, I updated it together with toadicus

Just to clarify, KAS works fine on 0.24 in x32? Or is it broke there too due to Unity having upgraded or something?

Afaik, so far there was no reports of new bugs in 32bit (x86). So, yes, KAS for 0.23.5 works fine in 0.24 x86/32 bit.

The good old fashioned way with docking ports would work. If your ship doesn't have docking ports, you can always use a claw attachment.

This is true, and nearly all of my fueling is done through direct docking. But, KAS was a key part of my favorite utility module; take a KAS winch, put a flat connector on the movable end, and then put a small probe core, RCS jets, and a Claw on that end. Voila, a steerable, flexible claw. Not only does it make refueling in space easy (no need to EVA to set up the lines), it's a key component in my asteroid towing vessel as the cable eliminates issues with off-center towing (the rock will just oscillate a bit around the imaginary line connecting the center of mass to the ship, without need for a lot of SAS modules to keep it from torqueing too much). Without a working KAS I can't do that nearly as well, and I'm not going to stick with 32-bit.

Afaik, so far there was no reports of new bugs in 32bit (x86). So, yes, KAS for 0.23.5 works fine in 0.24 x86/32 bit.

For me it says KAS (and Firespitter) is incompatible, running either version of the installer. (I don't think having both installed would be an issue, but it could be.)

For me it says KAS (and Firespitter) is incompatible, running either version of the installer. (I don't think having both installed would be an issue, but it could be.)

Yeah, it's just message from compatibility checker, works fine in game. For everyone using now KAS, just play x64 until you need to run KAS utility and start x86. Better than nothing, before Unity/KSP patch.

I don't understand why you've not been committed by SQUAD your mod is an essential to a immersive gameplay in KSP... personally I think this mod should be in the core game .

Thx for the great mod :D

I don't understand why you've not been committed by SQUAD your mod is an essential to a immersive gameplay in KSP... personally I think this mod should be in the core game .

Thx for the great mod :D

I couldn't agree more. This is an awesome mod with so much potential.

Regarding the 0.24 update: It will be another day or few. However, as others have noted, the 0.23.5 version may work fine in 32-bit KSP only. For this reason, I won't be releasing a recompile or an otherwise half-baked update, but rather a proper compatibility update for 0.24. I cannot guarantee 64-bit compatibility because of a known issue in the base game, but I will be investigating the possibility of a workaround implemented on the KAS side.

For those giving praise: Please remember that KAS was originally written by KospY, who is indeed a talented modder! Also remember that Winn75 and zzz did some excellent part modeling and texturing work for the parts, and remember a.g.'s contributions to the plugin code in the recent updates. My role in KAS is quite limited and I function mostly as a proxy and advisor. (I do write code sometimes, but not enough to deserve some of the comments in this thread.)

Regarding the 0.24 update: It will be another day or few. However, as others have noted, the 0.23.5 version may work fine in 32-bit KSP only. For this reason, I won't be releasing a recompile or an otherwise half-baked update, but rather a proper compatibility update for 0.24. I cannot guarantee 64-bit compatibility because of a known issue in the base game, but I will be investigating the possibility of a workaround implemented on the KAS side.

Speaking of part cost workarounds. Is this (and subsequent discussion) the workaround you had in mind? Because if it is, it would be best for everyone if that is coordinated.

Sorry if this has been answered, I was unable to find a definitive answer using the search. Is there any way to use the magnet other than on a winch line? I would like to be able to make a robotic arm with the magnet for "grabbing" objects much like the robotic arms pack for Lazor but without having to use Lazor just KAS and IR. I previously tried this with a winch at the end, but in space the line can flop around very uncontrollably. Thanks :)

Hope you fix KAS for 64 bit 0.24 KSP soon as I love this mod and a lot of mods depend on KAS. My Modular Kolonization System base can't be built without the KAS enabled Flex-O-Tubes to connect modules. Know you are working hard on an update.

Good Luck

For those giving praise: Please remember that KAS was originally written by KospY, who is indeed a talented modder! Also remember that Winn75 and zzz did some excellent part modeling and texturing work for the parts, and remember a.g.'s contributions to the plugin code in the recent updates. My role in KAS is quite limited and I function mostly as a proxy and advisor. (I do write code sometimes, but not enough to deserve some of the comments in this thread.)

For me (32 bit version) it seems to be causing right-click menus to not appear and weird camera issues (the POV jumps and starts running away from the ship) on ships that had KAS parts, so I will await that update eagerly. But don't worry! I know it's to be expected and can hold off for now happily. Well, maybe F5ing a bit. :blush:

As to the praise, they do indeed deserve the greatest kudos imaginable, but a lot of people is only able to give 'em because you are keeping alive some of the most popular mods in this game for the new guys to find. So kudos to you too, and accept them or we'll have words! :wink:

Rune. Your maintained mods are in fact two of the three mods with parts in them I allow myself, so there, that about sums it up for their quality and trustworthiness.

For me (32 bit version) it seems to be causing right-click menus to not appear and weird camera issues (the POV jumps and starts running away from the ship) on ships that had KAS parts, so I will await that update eagerly.

Same here. Interestingly enough the pov glitch (at one time my flying plane was displayed in relation to the whole kerbol system after switching with "v", meaning reaaaally small :) ) happened for me after i finished updating all the other mods, before that it seemed to behave. After removing (sigh) everything is fine again.

Glad to hear KAS is coming soon. I was worried about the horror stories that were being told, and how it might not get released until .25 is out...

People who say thing like "it might not get released until .25 is out" usually vastly over-estimate their own understanding of the code and/or vastly under-estimate the creativity of modders. And it breaks my heart.

Yes, you can use the magnet that way.

I've even used them as makeshift docking ports on a tug to move modules around a station.

Thanks Tex that is great news! Could you tell me what you mounted the magnet to so the option to turn it on would come up? :)