Not super clear how to accumulate 'science'...

I just opened the game in career mode after reading the patch notes and watching the videos and I'm a bit perplexed that there are no real in-game descriptions of how to accumulate science. Looks like it will be trial and error I guess. So I expected there to be something in the part description indicating its relationship to accumulating science. Or a list of achievements which can be completed to accumulate science. The Tech Tree also has no indication.

Anyone received science for any events yet? How were you notified in-game?

As far as I have been able to tell, there are two variables on how much science an experiment gives you.

Data Value x Data Gathered = Science

As far as I know, data value is determined by the nature of the experiment; observing Kerbin from Orbit has a higher intrinsic data value than observing Kerbin on the Launch Pad. The Data Gathered is a multiplier that is determined by whether you transmitted the data, how many times you have done the experiment, and whether you landed on Kerbin with the data.

(That last part I am not 100 percent sure of btw)

SCIENCE! Is earner by right clicking the relevant part or Kerbal and clicking the relevant option. You'll know which option when you see it. SCIENCE! is then 'stored' in the pod (?) and can either be returned to the Science Center by transmitting it back via antenna/dish, or returning the pod to Kerbin and recovering the vessel. Transmitting often comes at a loss, whereas physically returning the SCIENCE! guarantees a 100% yield. Different parts will get SCIENCE! at different amounts at different locations and under different conditions. For example, Goo can return science from (but not limited to!) low atmosphere and in space. Try all the things.

Here is what I gathered so far.

1: when you start out, launch a pod. Do a crew report, and hit save it. Go on EVA, save the EVA report. Take a sample from the launchpad.

2: Hover over altimiter, hit "recover".

3: You now have science!

Ways of getting science as far as I know:

-Crew reports

-EVA reports

-Samples from planet bodies

-Mystery goo

-Science thing.

You earn different amounts of science based on where you are. Moon samples are very valuable. There is different biomes too.

Another way, is to transmit data using commutrons. They take electric chrarge, and transmit data back to kerbin. But sometimes at a reduced amount of science!

Science is collected from a number of sources, though performing the exact same thing twice will give greatly diminished returns.

You can get science by letting your engineers examine a pod (or probe core I assume) after you recover it from a flight. You can get your first few science points just by flying a rocket up a few km and then safely landing it and clicking the green Recover (the button is now at the top of the screen if you hover over after landing). If your spaceship has been to new interesting places (like flown into orbit or around the Mun for the first time) it counts as new information and earns you science.

Your Kerbals can write a report about what they see - I just did a flyby of the Mun and Bob wrote a report about potential Mun landing sites he spotted (that's what the actual report says on screen). Right click a pod and select the report button (I think that's what it's called, it might be make observations). A window will pop up with what the Kerbal has observed and how much science it is worth. Even a low altitude flight has something to report the first time. You can only hold onto 1 report at a time, so you either need to land and recover it or you can transmit it. Transmitting reports only gives you a percentage of its value (when you make a report the window shows a blue dish icon that says something like 50%, indicating what percentage you get if you transmit instead of return it). Transmitting requires a dish or antenna and uses lots of power. I think that transmitting also means you can make more then one report during a mission.

Your Kerbals can go on EVA and do EVA reports too. I haven't yet landed on the Mun but this would be a major EVA report opportunity (EVAs in space also provide some science)

Once you unlock the tech you can get experiments into space. The first one you will get is the mystery goo container. Basically you right click and open up the container (expose it) sometime during the flight. Depending on where you are something will happen to the biological sample inside. You then need to return the sample to Kerbin for analysis (I haven't worked out if a Kerbal in orbit can observe and transmit a report for a lesser percentage, but I think it's possible).

Another way, is to transmit data using commutrons. They take electric chrarge, and transmit data back to kerbin. But sometimes at a reduced amount of science!

A very significant loss of science :( most of the time im getting like 40 to 20% of the science...learned to just land on kerbin at the end to hit recover lol

Oh, and EVAs work on Kerbin too. The Destroyer mentions the launchpad, but if you take an orbital/suborbital flight and land elseswhere, like the mountains or the desert you can go EVA and collect a unique report before recovering. Odd that they don't know much about their own planet, but then again the only signs of a settlement are KSC.

Oh, and EVAs work on Kerbin too. The Destroyer mentions the launchpad, but if you take an orbital/suborbital flight and land elseswhere, like the mountains or the desert you can go EVA and collect a unique report before recovering. Odd that they don't know much about their own planet, but then again the only signs of a settlement are KSC.

I can confirm this, I picked up a sample in the Highlands, the Oceans, the Polar Ice caps, and the Launchpad and they usually give a nice science bonus.

From what I can tell thus far, you have:

Different gathering methods:

EVA Report

Crew Report

Sample

Stuff you attach to your explosive devi.... Rockets

Recovery*

Different Zones:

Landed on body

Flying in atmosphere

Orbiting body (high and low in some cases)

Kerbin has biomes (water/shore/ksp/mountain/desert/and likely heaps more), so you can get a seperate zone for each one (but not for all gathering methods)

So you get science for doing gatheringmethod@zone, and getting it back to base, either by recovering vehicle, or transmitting data. The exact science you get appears to be a function based on a score base, score cap, how much you have previously used of that method@zone, and method of getting it back (transmission vs recovery).

This function makes it so while you get less science for transmitting vs recovering, the DR also comes on a lot slower.

* Recovery is a little different, as the "zone" is based on where the craft has been.

SCIENCE! Is earner by right clicking the relevant part or Kerbal and clicking the relevant option. You'll know which option when you see it. SCIENCE! is then 'stored' in the pod (?) and can either be returned to the Science Center by transmitting it back via antenna/dish, or returning the pod to Kerbin and recovering the vessel. Transmitting often comes at a loss, whereas physically returning the SCIENCE! guarantees a 100% yield. Different parts will get SCIENCE! at different amounts at different locations and under different conditions. For example, Goo can return science from (but not limited to!) low atmosphere and in space. Try all the things.

Gawd! Is anyone else blinded by SCIENCE?

Speaking of which... 9 minutes remaining until I can do SCIENCE!

:)

A very significant loss of science :( most of the time im getting like 40 to 20% of the science...learned to just land on kerbin at the end to hit recover lol

If you perform an experiment and transmit the result for ~30% science, and you later perform the same experiment and return to Kerbin, do you get diminished returns for the second experiment?

If so, this is kind of a bummer because it means preliminary scouting missions can hurt your science totals.

from what i've been able to gather so far, it seems like areas have a set amount of scientific value per device. and if you transmit the data it only transmits say 20% of that data. so if something holds 100 value, and you transmit 20% worth. next time you scan, the scan will be worth 80. and so forth. i could be wrong, just early tests i've done

from what i've been able to gather so far, it seems like areas have a set amount of scientific value per device. and if you transmit the data it only transmits say 20% of that data. so if something holds 100 value, and you transmit 20% worth. next time you scan, the scan will be worth 80. and so forth. i could be wrong, just early tests i've done

can this be confirmed?

If it's true than it encourages performing multiples of the same mission which is fine with me. Example being 1 orbit of goo for 100 science, but 20% transmit so only 20 science gained.. But orbit 4 more times doing the same science and gain the total 100.

That and I think transmit is limited by the antenna? maybe..

How do you use science to unlock new parts? There doesn't seem to be a relevant button in the R&D building.

Yes there is. You click on the R&D building and it shows you a tech tree. The first block is green. You click on the second block and it tells you how much it would cost to unlock it. If you have the correct amount of science, you click the blue (I think) button on the mid bottom left to unlock it.

Yes there is. You click on the R&D building and it shows you a tech tree. The first block is green. You click on the second block and it tells you how much it would cost to unlock it. If you have the correct amount of science, you click the blue (I think) button on the mid bottom left to unlock it.

That's weird ... that blue button wasn't there until just a few minutes ago. :confused: Well, at least now I can proceed. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.