[0.23.5] TreeLoader - Custom Career Tech-tree Loader 1.1.5

r4m0n

Some ideas:

1) When the user selects a tree, the window shows a description of the tree, its mod dependencies and mod recommendations. From this TreeLoader can warn the user if they are about to use a tree they don't have mods for and also, I think more importantly, can read a message from the author about the tree itself. This lets them know if they are the intended audience and whatever else they may find interesting. There could be a syntax in the tree.cfg to declare these 3 new bits of information.

2) TreeLoader searches a directory for trees so you may easily use trees not bundled with it instead of swapping tree.cfg files.

If I've made a fool of myself here, let me know :)

I just ran 64bit Unity hack and treeloader works; I forgot the keys but if anything changes I will let ya know...OH BUT theres a catch:::::::

If treeloader is in a folder, or plugins, it wont work the game hangs on it.

I have to put treeloader.dll in Gamedata dir directly !

Cdr Zeta

Hi,

My bad...I didnt have tree-edit dll; now that I have them both in a plugins folder they work; works in that 64bit hack test; but I am not using the 64bit version as theres a decoupler bug (no ejection force) and the gfx card runs a tad warmer...

Cdr Zeta

• 3 weeks later...
2) TreeLoader searches a directory for trees so you may easily use trees not bundled with it instead of swapping tree.cfg files.

I'd like to second this suggestion... you could eliminate the need for hosting trees online by letting mod authors include a tree.cfg in their GameData/mod folder. Upon creating a new savegame, TreeLoader would then scan all of GameData and populate the dropdown menu with trees it finds there. Once selected, the tree.cfg in question is simply copied over into the user's savegame directory.

This removes administration overhead for r4m0n who no longer needs to manually curate the list of hosted trees. Also, since only those tree.cfgs that the player downloads will be scanned into the list, it ensures that the list remains short and easily handled by the player even if everyone and their grandmother starts using TreeEdit. For mods who do not currently have their tree hosted, this greatly simplifies the installation process (they no longer need to ask their users to go through the clumsy process of creating a game, existing the client, manually placing a file into the save folder and reloading). And for mods who currently do have theirs hosted, nothing should change at all.

There seems to be a problem in 0.24 with the plugin. Near as I can tell, the functionality is fine but clicking something on the tree-selection-UI clicks 'through' it and causes building like the VAB or Research Lab to be selected (entering that scene). The best way around it is to just move the camera away from the KSC complex.

I don't know weather this is a problem with the UI code in KSP itself or with the plugin, but I had also clicked through an unrelated plugin-popup that was shown over the main menu (suddenly I was in settings, though I wanted to click OK).

Another question for Yargnit: Will you be updating your tree to account for new parts and/or changes to the stock tree from this release?

I'd like to second this suggestion... you could eliminate the need for hosting trees online by letting mod authors include a tree.cfg in their GameData/mod folder. Upon creating a new savegame, TreeLoader would then scan all of GameData and populate the dropdown menu with trees it finds there. Once selected, the tree.cfg in question is simply copied over into the user's savegame directory.

I wonder if it would be possible to create a custom part-less PartModule for Treeloader. I don't know if it would be possible to leverage the existing PartModule API from within a plug-in, but if not, you could probably pretty easy roll your own parser. That way you could have a config file in standard part config format that relected the stock tech tree, which could be gracefully modified using ModuleManager configs. This would painlessly allow multiple tree configs to be active simultaneously.

Near as I can tell, the functionality is fine but clicking something on the tree-selection-UI clicks 'through' it and causes building like the VAB or Research Lab to be selected (entering that scene).

I don't know weather this is a problem with the UI code in KSP itself or with the plugin, but I had also clicked through an unrelated plugin-popup that was shown over the main menu (suddenly I was in settings, though I wanted to click OK).

This is stock bug. Occurs most noticeably when hitting "cancel" on the mission flag selection dialogue (picks up the part behind).

This is stock bug. Occurs most noticeably when hitting "cancel" on the mission flag selection dialogue (picks up the part behind).

Yea I've noticed by now. For me it mostly happens when I open the "Load Craft" dialog in the VAB, but then change my mind and click cancel. I always click 'through' and grab a booster or whatever else is behind it...

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that r4mon and some other authors puts stuff like this out there to inspire others to make better versions. I'm just too dumb to pick up the torch, I can hardly keep Jeb alive sometimes.

The game starts up fine for me in 32 Bit. My problem is this mod won't load for Science mode, only Career. This causes problems for me with Near Future Technologies, because I don't to play Career.

I have a very strange problem.

I have a few mods that I play a lot +30 on a dedi with friends. They moaned about the original tech-tree being too easy as once on eve we have completed it mainly because of the science from contracts. So I made a tech-tree to go with the mods we use. I finished it and it looks great and works fine except for one thing that I cannot understand.

With the stock tech-tree I am able to recover ships but with the one I made you cant. You get the rep but the ship and pilot never recover. Any ideas why?

Forgot to mention, contracts work fine, everything does except ship recovery. Sorry I made multiple posts. I cannot edit old posts due to "Thank you for posting! Your post will not be visible until a moderator has approved it for posting."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.