I am disappointed that there is no science in Sandbox mode

johnnyhandsome

Career mod doesn't look appealing to me, as it feels like starting from scratch, with an extremely limited tool set (no decouplers, WTH) that screams of boredom.

Is it possible to use the new science parts in Sandbox mode, even if it's all just for show? Haven't been able to download the new version yet.

The science parts have no function in sandbox mode, since everything is already unlocked.

That said, since I am yet to update, would some one tell me if the EVA reports and actual science PARTS are present, regardless of functionality.

"Sure, we've had science parts like antennas and thermometers in sandbox for ages. They just don't really do anything."

It's my understanding that you can transmit reports back to Kerbal, which uses a lot of power, in Career mode. Can one still do that in sandbox mode?

"Sure, we've had science parts like antennas and thermometers in sandbox for ages. They just don't really do anything."

It's my understanding that you can transmit reports back to Kerbal, which uses a lot of power, in Career mode. Can one still do that in sandbox mode?

I'd assume not. Since there is no purpose for science functionality in sanbox BECUASE: Everything is already unlocked.

I think science should be available in sandbox, mods could probably utilize it. E.G warp drives, resources, etc..

You mean it could be used to unlock new abilities and parts? That sounds a bit like career mode!

Good question, I've not tried. Have a go and see.

Of course, it won't actually do anything except gobble some electricity, but whatever floats your boat.

You mean it could be used to unlock new abilities and parts? That sounds a bit like career mode!

Well yes, except that you'd skip the process of unlocking stock parts, and go straight to end-game parts.

Well yes, except that you'd skip the process of unlocking stock parts, and go straight to end-game parts.

Then why have science functionality in sandbox. It's pointless unless you enjoy wasting electricity on anttenae

I don't understand why people say it's boring starting from scratch. I bought this game about a month ago and I have been able to get large craft up and flying pretty quickly with zero mods. However, I feel that since I started career I have had the most fun in this game than I have ever had. Last night I stayed up until 1:00 A.M. just thinking up new craft to get more experiments back to Kerbin.

Career mod doesn't look appealing to me, as it feels like starting from scratch, with an extremely limited tool set (no decouplers, WTH) that screams of boredom.

Is it possible to use the new science parts in Sandbox mode, even if it's all just for show? Haven't been able to download the new version yet.

I highly recommend trying it before you decide you don't like it.

I don't understand. Since science is used to progress through the game, it seems pointless to me in sandbox. How is that different than imagining that a fuel tank is really a torpedo launcher.... You're back to role playing.

Science does not become pointless even if you have all the parts unlocked in sandbox. It would still be cool to do the experiments and get results. It's sort of a roleplaying thing, and I don't understand why anyone would be against that.

Why should we be able to do science in sandbox when everything is already unlocked?

Why not?

Really, this is bad reasoning. If you reason like that, why play sandbox at all? Why play KSP at all? It has no point right?

Simple answer: Because it is fun.

Instead of asking why we need it, give a good reason why we can't have it.

In my opinion we need it because:

It is fun to play sandbox, and being able to do experiments in sandbox is something we want to be able to do.

We can go somewhere, collect a sample, and get confirmation of the game that we did so. People roleplay, and if the game allows us to do science in sandbox then we will do science in sandbox. Not because it has a point, but because it is fun.

Sure, we can't spend the science points, but why would that matter? Think of it as being able to get a high-score.

How sandbox is sandbox if you are not able to do everything?

Challenges like: "Aquire x science points using "these" parts." would be impossible.

If science is not allowed in sandbox "because you dont need the points", then career mode should shut down all science the moment you acquire enough points to complete the tech tree.

Which would be silly, right? So how is sandbox different?

Edited by Psycix