3 science questions

Ok, science is fun but after collecting some random data, I'm already beginning to loose track of what I've actually collected and where I did that. Is there a cumulative sheet of all the data that I might have missed or do I have to keep track of this myself?

When I start a fresh career, I can drop a command pod on the launchpad, collect and transmit data, do an EVA and collect some more. Then after terminating the flight I've collected enough science points to unlock the first tier. Is it meant to be like this?

When gathering data, I can only send or discard my data. If I want to check for a second time (to see if I get more points) I can only do this after I've sent the first package or by discarding it completely. Again, is it meant to work like this? It's really inconvenient from a game play perspective.

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

1. Currently just in the persistence file AFAIK. This sounds like it should be a feature request.

2. Probably, given its semi-tutorial nature. TL0 gives you some basic parts to get an introduction to the game, and rocket construction (including vertical stacking and clustering). And then as soon as you're ready, multiple stages.

3. No idea.

1. Sounds like a feature request

2. For me, when I make a new career I throw the command pod on a rocket with some parachutes and aim for somewhere off in the distance, then I do my research there.

3. In real life science, you have to start an experiment over from scratch. On earth, it's not much of a problem. But in space, sometimes it means that you can only do the experiment X number of times and get results. I'm surprised they let you re-use modules many of the science modules.

Thanks for your replies. I will certainly turn my first question into a request.

3. In real life science, you have to start an experiment over from scratch. On earth, it's not much of a problem. But in space, sometimes it means that you can only do the experiment X number of times and get results. I'm surprised they let you re-use modules many of the science modules.

Sounds plausible.

3. Use multiple antennaes and you can do the same experiment multiple times at once, all branching from the same science machine. Its not the science machine thats making you wait, its your antennate. More transmitting modules = more science, regardless of the amount of science modules available. Thats why I always have 3-4 transmitting units.

3. Use multiple antennaes and you can do the same experiment multiple times at once, all branching from the same science machine. Its not the science machine thats making you wait, its your antennate. More transmitting modules = more science, regardless of the amount of science modules available. Thats why I always have 3-4 transmitting units.

I think he's talking about for return trips.

3. Is the "store data" button not working for you?

You should have 3 options... discard, store, transmit. You can only store one thing of the same type at a time. You can't collect more until you've sent your transmission or discarded your stored data.

If you want to collect multiple sets of data without transmitting then you need to carry with you the part you need for each one. Want to take 4 goo observations? then you need 4 goo experiments.

3. Is the "store data" button not working for you?

You should have 3 options... discard, store, transmit. You can only store one thing of the same type at a time. You can't collect more until you've sent your transmission or discarded your stored data.

If you want to collect multiple sets of data without transmitting then you need to carry with you the part you need for each one. Want to take 4 goo observations? then you need 4 goo experiments.

No, the buttons work all like the should. What I meant was:

I collect data and get a value (say 2)

I now have a choice: transmit the data (given I have enough power) and take a new sample or discard the data entirely before I can take a new sample. But there is no way of knowing whether the new value is higher then 2. I wanted some kind of option to only discard my data if the new sample is better.

Sorry for the lame explanation, English is not my native language :)

3 is probably by design. Evey observation generates a certain amount of science points, so if you could collect every Crew report you also have the ability to max out the tech tree in one flight.

That being said, it seems to me the more logical way to design this is to lower the value of crew reports and give repeated reports a null value.

3: you can bring more of the same equipment. More Goo containers, for instance. Then you can open one in low orbit, one in high orbit, one in Mun orbit, etc.

You get more science points if you run the experiment, transmit the result, and run the experiment (using the same equipment) again and this time deliver the result back. Applies to any kind of gathering science. As long as you have electricity, transmit and repeat for best results.

3: you can bring more of the same equipment. More Goo containers, for instance. Then you can open one in low orbit, one in high orbit, one in Mun orbit, etc.

You get more science points if you run the experiment, transmit the result, and run the experiment (using the same equipment) again and this time deliver the result back. Applies to any kind of gathering science. As long as you have electricity, transmit and repeat for best results.

kinda... you get way better results for returning than transmitting. If you transmit a lot you can destroy any potential science from a return mission to the same spot.

I now only transmit crew reports because those are at 100%. Everything else you get losses and diminishing returns effect any future return mission.

No, the buttons work all like the should. What I meant was:

I collect data and get a value (say 2)

I now have a choice: transmit the data (given I have enough power) and take a new sample or discard the data entirely before I can take a new sample. But there is no way of knowing whether the new value is higher then 2. I wanted some kind of option to only discard my data if the new sample is better.

It's not actually possible to get a better "sample". Say you are taking a soil sample from the shoreline near the KSC no matter where in that area you do it you will always get the same result until you have claimed the science points for it. Basically each experiment (each thing you can do to get science) will give you a specific value and that value will decrease as you do it more. Hope this helps

Ok, science is fun but after collecting some random data, I'm already beginning to loose track of what I've actually collected and where I did that. Is there a cumulative sheet of all the data that I might have missed or do I have to keep track of this myself?

When I start a fresh career, I can drop a command pod on the launchpad, collect and transmit data, do an EVA and collect some more. Then after terminating the flight I've collected enough science points to unlock the first tier. Is it meant to be like this?

When gathering data, I can only send or discard my data. If I want to check for a second time (to see if I get more points) I can only do this after I've sent the first package or by discarding it completely. Again, is it meant to work like this? It's really inconvenient from a game play perspective.

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

1. There's an add-in for that; search the forum

2. Probably. It would be pretty daft if you cannot unlock the next tier, you have to start somewhere. Consider it "testing your science equipment"

3. From a game play perspective the point of returning your experiment is to, well, return your experiment (back to Kerbin). I would be even more convenient if you could transmit without losses, or do experiments without the need to have a science bay. Or just start with the entire tree unlocked (hint: sandbox mode). There are certain (fairly arbritrary) choices that the devs made to make the game more challenging. This is one of them. Yes, it's inconvenient. I'd almost say, that's the point.

In a similar vein (without wishing to hijack the thread!), I've just returned Jeb from the Mun with a science lab. When I used the lab I was granted 100 sciences in addition to all the other stuff, reports etc. Just before landing back on Kerbin I reset the lab to close the doors in case they were ripped off in re-entry. On recovering the ship (capsule +Lab) I only got 65 sciences. I had saved the data from the Mun research. Did I lose it because of closing the doors (re-setting the lab module?)

In a similar vein (without wishing to hijack the thread!), I've just returned Jeb from the Mun with a science lab. When I used the lab I was granted 100 sciences in addition to all the other stuff, reports etc. Just before landing back on Kerbin I reset the lab to close the doors in case they were ripped off in re-entry. On recovering the ship (capsule +Lab) I only got 65 sciences. I had saved the data from the Mun research. Did I lose it because of closing the doors (re-setting the lab module?)

Resetting the module also resets the results yes. Don't worry about the doors and stuf, it's still 1 solid part, deployd or not.

Hell, you can even deply the antenna during takeoff without it ripping off

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.