.22 Opinion / Criticism

Hi everyone,

Been fiddling around with .22 career mode

Glad to finally see modules unlockable... but I really strongly feel that the unlocking process has some.. well really major issues IMO

Firstly, sitting in a spacecraft on the launch pad and filing a mission report should not directly unlock stack decouplers. This is too easy and too hokey. I think it would feel more immersive if you had science quotas to meet and if you met those quotas you were awarded budget increases (or penalties) after each review period and then you can dump budget investments into various domains of research (Such as propulsion/control surfaces/science tools etc etc) thereby unlocking new individual modules or higher quality versions of already available individual modules (as opposed to being awarded a handful of new modules from an unrealistic tech tree in the current system) This way I can feel more in control of the tech tree and the evolution of my space program. For reference, I'm suggesting something similar to x-com ufo defense where each month you would be awarded a lump sum of cash you would have to ration throughout the month to continue operation however in this case, the amount of budget you get would be influenced by your science accumulated in that period.

Second major gripe is that it feels WAY too easy to unlock things. Maybe its because I've been playing eve online too much but I'm used to having to dump a whole lot of 'points' into various items that I want to improve the performance thereof but instantly unlocking a handful of unrelated modules with each upgrade package, and also unlocking a couple such upgrade packages after a single mission really gives me the impression that KSP is revealing far too much of its unlockable content with not enough investment from the player. Personally, my preference for career mode would be for it to require a significantly larger amount of time to progress through it or at least a difficulty option so players like myself can indulge in their latent masochistic tendencies

Thanks,

You are right on both accounts. It is too easy at the moment because the intended economy system is not implemented yet. From what I understand, after unlocking a tech node with science, you're supposed to then buy the ability to use each part with money, but without money actually implemented, it is trivialized to a click. We'll have to see how easy/hard the whole setup will be when economy comes into play before we can really judge it.

If, in the finished product, you can get enough science AND money for your first batch of improvements after fiddling around on the launchpad for 30 seconds, it will definitely not be working as I would like it to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.