Biome Display

A big part of the science in the early game is related to the biomes on Kerbin and the Mun. However, there is no easy way to determine which biome you're in, like "Splashed down at Kerbin's Shores" or "Low orbit over the Mun's Poles", short of rightclicking on a part that's biome sensitive and asking for a report. This rapidly gets very tedious, as I learned while trying to get EVA reports from a polar orbit around the Mun. Now, a lot of the biomes are easy to spot, like Kerbin's Waters and the big craters on the Mun, but some, like Kerbin's Shores, are very much blink and you missed it.

What I propose is that there be some readout, possibly in a collapsible Science menu, that tells you something like "You are now in X biome, at Y altitude." This would make it much easier to tell where one science situation ends and another begins, which is especially important for the small, narrowly defined biomes.

Additionally, it would nice to be able to generate an in-game biome map that can tell you which biome is which when moused over.

Does anybody have anything to add, change, or criticize about this?

I'd prefer to see it integrated into a general science control panel for the ship rather than be yet another part to drag around. It would be nice to have a menu that you could open up, and it would show you the current biome and allow you operate all of your experiments from it. Except EVA, but that's a special case.

However, a part that you can use to create an in-game biome map, like how ISA lets you make a height map, would be nice to have.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.