[1.2] L-Tech Scientific Industries V4.2

ludsoe

What I'd most like to see are varying camera specifications which effect the photographs - from monochrome 64x64 to hi-res, false color IR maps or whatever (And accordingly varying scientific values). Is it known if this is possible or practical in any way to implement?

Edited by mossman

A question, or more like, a possible bug report..

For example; when i put the radio reciver on a craft and use it, it says that the data it collected will be worth 36 research points and when i transfer it wirelessly with a 100% transmit rate it just generates 20 science? How come? Shouldn't it be 36 points instead of 20?

Or am i missing something?

When I transmit my science data from the skylabs, I only get a tenth of the science shown when the transmission value is 200% >.> first time I used it, I should have gotten 600 *2 but only got 60.

IIRC, the only way you can recover 100% of data is by physically carrying it back to KSC; if you transmit it, you _ ALWAYS_ lose points. the game does this to simulate "data corruption due to signal loss"

if you transmit, you will always, always lose points; also, when you transmit the same data over and over you always get less and less points per transmission (example: transmission 1: 10 points, 2: 1 point 3: 0.1 point.)

P.S. each type of research "activity" draws from a pre-set finite pool of points set aside for that activity. each time you do a particular research, YOU ONLY RECEIVE A PERCENTAGE OF THE REMAINING POINTS FOR THAT ACTIVITY.

on a graph, the points you receive each repetition, shown over time, would be an descending, exponential curve. it is physically impossible to get every possible point for a given activity, there will always be some you cannot retrieve, even if it is only 0.00000000000000000000000000001 point. (note: the above statements are true only of a stock, unmodded game as of version .22)

Edited by dacamp66

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I have a strange request I would like to put your camera inside the DSL pandora head by Yogi http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12106-0-22-Lionhead-Aerospace-Inc-Need-your-help-for-my-mod!!! do you think it would be possible as i am not really into lasers and then I can use it to take pictures as it travels around

Loving the mod so far, however I have a small problem with taking real pictures.

The game crashes soon as I try taking one, but fake ones work fine. Any ideas?

I've not removed Mechlib which is in the plugin data, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. Rather not remove it.

Tiny Update Thing

V1.61

-Changed the resource the skylab uses to "Insight"

-Some other changes I forgot about possibly.

I've been quite busy recently, doing loads of stuff. I had this update on my computer for a while so i decided to release it.

Loving the mod so far, however I have a small problem with taking real pictures.

The game crashes soon as I try taking one, but fake ones work fine. Any ideas?

I've not removed Mechlib which is in the plugin data, so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. Rather not remove it.

In the .cfg for the camera part your using, find the "HullCamera" module.

Make sure the resolution variable is 1 or some low number.

Other then that I'm not sure why it would crash your game.

Edited by ludsoe
Messed up a sentence, shouldn't post this late anymore

Ah cheers, that fixed it. Mine was set to 2, and it doesn't crash anymore now that its set to 1.

I'd also like to add a vote for the Science Station concept -- a lab that slowly generates science over time, occasionally broadcasting it home.

May I suggest an infrared telescope that consumes coolant over time, and needs the occasional replenishment?

Tiny Update Thing

V1.61

-Changed the resource the skylab uses to "Insight"

-Some other changes I forgot about possibly.

I've been quite busy recently, doing loads of stuff. I had this update on my computer for a while so i decided to release it.

Other then that I'm not sure why it would crash your game.

Too bad you forgot the other fixes you made....because atm I only use the camera and radiation sensor part (don't need skylab as I am using Station Science Mod by Ethernet already , srry) and I want to know if I need to download the update myself

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if there are any plans to update this? Has anyone tried it in 0.23?

Just for you guys I decided to update it, regardless of me losing all the work i had before due to my flash-drive dieing and not having backups.

Nothing big lost really, just a few tweaks and new modules lost. I can easily redo those changes later.

Notes:

V.1.63

-Updated to Ksp 0.23 with some rough testing.

-Changed it so the Skylab modules don't hide the research button when low on resources. (I'm going to add better indicators later.)

-Changed the message you get when you don't have enough Insight to actually say "Insight" instead of "Science".

Just for you guys I decided to update it, regardless of me losing all the work i had before due to my flash-drive dieing and not having backups.

Nothing big lost really, just a few tweaks and new modules lost. I can easily redo those changes later.

Notes:

V.1.63

-Updated to Ksp 0.23 with some rough testing.

-Changed it so the Skylab modules don't hide the research button when low on resources. (I'm going to add better indicators later.)

-Changed the message you get when you don't have enough Insight to actually say "Insight" instead of "Science".

Are you considering using the new lab part as part for your skylab?

Edit : Btw thanks for the update

Edited by DasBananenbrot

Are you considering using the new lab part as part for your skylab?

Edit : Btw thanks for the update

I might use the new labs model, its very nice. Only if nobody offers a custom model for it.

As for updates go I want to get everybody's opinions on a few of my thoughts for new stuff.

Should I make the sky-lab Larger? And make the modules smaller and have limited uses?

I'm thinking it would make a little more challenge on putting station together and if you want to keep using it, you would have to ship up new experiments.

Along with changing the models on the experiments, I'm thinking of using the Tweakable's system to minimize part count on the menu. Allowing me to put in a ton more experiments as you guys come up with them.

For the camera part, I'm going to use the Tweakables system again so you can change the resolution of your images in-game. And maybe adding in some feature to examine your pictures in-game without having to alt-tab out.

For the part you guys really care about though, The science giving from real pictures...

I have ideas on how I'm going to do it, but I don't have all the functions/snippets I need to make it work right now.

I might use the new labs model, its very nice. Only if nobody offers a custom model for it.

As for updates go I want to get everybody's opinions on a few of my thoughts for new stuff.

Should I make the sky-lab Larger? And make the modules smaller and have limited uses?

I'm thinking it would make a little more challenge on putting station together and if you want to keep using it, you would have to ship up new experiments.

Along with changing the models on the experiments, I'm thinking of using the Tweakable's system to minimize part count on the menu. Allowing me to put in a ton more experiments as you guys come up with them.

For the camera part, I'm going to use the Tweakables system again so you can change the resolution of your images in-game. And maybe adding in some feature to examine your pictures in-game without having to alt-tab out.

For the part you guys really care about though, The science giving from real pictures...

I have ideas on how I'm going to do it, but I don't have all the functions/snippets I need to make it work right now.

Yes make the Skylab bigger,use the new Lab model xD At least until a custom model is finished if you or someone else wants to create a custom model :D

Ludsoe,

I can edit the texture on the stock skylab pretty quickly so that it at least looks different so that the parts are distinguishable as a quick fix. I already have several models for a skylab i have been working on...but am yet to finish there textures and hatch and ladder collider tweaks. I'm usually working on the Imp. Inov. parts when i have time...but a texture change would be better than nothing till i get you some models to look at or until someone else offers too do it. Hit me back.

So what's the plan for the cameras with the new way science works?

Since science is now limited in other means by the fact that experiments are a 'use once' thing, I think a way to balance the camera would be to simply allow many, many pictures to be taken, but each one has rather low scientific value. One picture, after all, from the surface of Mars is cool, but doesn't really tell us much. Effectively the camera would be balanced by extremely high data size and transmission efficiency, but somewhat low scientific value, except it can be repeated.