How do I transfer science from my lander to my return vessel?

That is mind-blowingly confusing. Why not just send 100% and call it a day, instead of tediously spamming the activate science bay and transmit buttons? That would make it fun and actually enticing to send probes instead of manned craft (would help on eve, since i learned the hard way not to land there lol). Also, you could do return (manned) trips for the rest of the science instead of farming all of it, going home, and calling it a good trip. I like actually rp'ing a space program and that would help A LOT. Also, an experiments storage bay (little place-able box on the side of ship, so you can transfer science between ships.

***clarification- I'm not saying send 100% of science in the area, just 100% per transmission.

It's not confusing in the slightest. And the reason that "spamming the activate and transmit buttons" is tedious is that you're not supposed to be doing that. The optimal approach is still to return the craft to kerbin, you have the option of repeated transmissions if you want them but that's obviously not going to be as efficient, especially in the earlier tech stages when you don't have access to decent power sources.

I agree that the system definitely needs improving beyond "arrive at destination, click button, obtain science, go home", we need varied experiments, research stations, useful planetary/lunar bases, etc, but that'll come in time. Alpha is Alpha, people.

Yeah i definitely agree that the system isnt perfect but its still do-able. I agree there should be research bases that generate/gather science over time. But I also hope that the transmission losses go down. I feel only gathering 20% of certain experiments is crazy. After all NASA learns so much from experiments done by rovers and probes and you dont see much data loss there...I really havent been able to tell the difference between the different transmitters but maybe have the high tech ones have much less (if any) science loss? (unless they dont already do that, in which case this post is stupid :P)

but in regards to the science you lose going back into the system, i feel there is an exponential decay rate occurring, like ill never actually take out all 100 science (to continue the situation above) the rate i receive just seems to drop like crazy each time i transmit

but overall I still love doing science :D lol

After sleeping a few nights over the whole thing and reading lots of posts on the forums:

Not getting all science points to be ultimately gained from a certain experiment-location-combo (ELC) makes sense, no expedition has ever discovered everything there is to know in the first go. And it prolongs the gaming experience.

Following experiments revealing less data/science also makes sense, you have already been there, digging in the dust again will most likely reveal more dust at first before you discover something new.

Transmitting data instead of bringing back samples or the finished experiment being worth less (science) makes sense too, a picture can only tell you so much, a probe container can never replace a fully equipped lab with numerous scientists.

Although I do not know what the difference between a crew report and an EVA might be? (In space at least, an EVA on ground is surely more than taking a panorama picture, even if it only takes a click in the game. ;) )

Transfering data and samples between pods, a container to return seperately instead of landing an interplanetary ship ... all this will surely be added in a later patch or by a clever modder until Squad gets around to do so.

Something that popped up in my mind: There is already enough science to be gained (with the missing biomes over planets and moons other than Kerbin and Mun) to unlock the whole tree? Well, as you progress in the tree and unlock more and more parts, more possibilities turn up. If the nearer space already offers enough science to unloch the whole tree, than less experienced/adapt players can simply fly around Kerbin and its two moons and land on them in different locations to do so, and more experienced/adapt players can take the new parts and fly new missions to other planets to do the same, as there is no need to "farm dry" every ELC.

Frankly I think the science system is awesome! Sure, it needs some refinement, sure it's a bit clumsy and goofy in places. But building a rocket that can go to Mun using only tier-1 parts - now that's a challenge. One of the things I love about this game is nearly every patch and update makes it a bit harder somehow. I've had to redesign some of my ships about 4 times now because something Squad tweaked broke some part of their functionality (this release forced a total redesign of my 2-stage lander, which is now lighter but works and looks exactly the same).

When I first looked at career mode I though it looked a bit dull. I tried a few things and then left it a while. Gradually the thing grows on me. Instead of being annoyed that it now takes ages to get the bits to build my best designs, I'm looking forward to eventually being able to build them again, and coming up with new designs on the way. I also love that it's locked me out of the add-ons and mods that I've downloaded and bloated out the game with, making everything far too easy. As I go on, I'm beginning to worry that there isn't enough science to do and it unlocks too fast - I guess that's where the credit cost for parts will come into the game!!

Anyhow we've been playing this game for the last many months, and we've all got used to doing whatever we want with anything we want and just trying to be clever enough to beat the learning curve to do it, and that's all there's been. But nobody's forcing us play with the new gizmos this time. After all, if you don't like the science, there's always sandbox mode.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Use Ship Manifest. It can transfer Science resources and other things.

Ship Manifest

p.s.: The Pholic is right, when some one do a search for this particular nature, it drops right here, a thread until know unanswered. But not anymore.

One good moderator could be a gentle and change it to Answered, for the next google searchers.

Edited by Climberfx

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Willy101 said:

Yeah my Ike mission is down the drain now with science. I could have had 360 science.

This is an old thread from 2013-2014 and contains lots of out dated information. You can definitely take Science from a pod and transfer it to another pod via a Kerbal on EVA now.

If you are having a problem you need help with I suggest making a new thread of your own.

Best of luck!

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket