Mechjeb/Novapunch & career mode

AlamoVampire

Okay guys, I have a question for those of you who use those 2 mods or any other part mod even, like say procedural fairings <not sure if that is .22 career mode ready yet>. I just updated mechjebs .dll and it works fine in sandbox, and I updated novapunch and put its game data folder contents into KSP's game data folder as instructed, BUT, I am not seeing either mechjeb OR novapunch parts in my career mode yet. are both the novapunch stuff AND mechjeb beyond the points unlocked on my tree so far?

here is my current tech tree:

mcl6.png

Did you download Novapunch 2.3?

Even if you had those nodes unlocked, they should have that circle at the top left showing you unlocked parts in there. novapunch has new parts even in the starting tier.

Are you seeing the NP parts in a sandbox save? or in a new career mode (you can have more than one)

I downloaded the 2.3 NP, and they ARE in SB mode, and work just fine... stb, lemme check a new career mode XD

edit: trying a restart of the game XD, I DID DL/INSTALL this stuff WITH KSP running, will try a restart, THEN a new career mode, will report back in a few minutes

okay, I now am OFFICIALLY a recipient of the DERP award. it took a reset of the game to make NOVAPUNCH show up. BUT, Mechjeb is STILL MIA from my career mode.... I downloaded the new .dll and put it in this location:

KSP>Plugins

so the plugins folder shows:

a PluginData folder

a Plugins folder and

mechjeb2.dll

funny thing is, with it in that location, it works just fine in sandbox, but is STILL MIA from career...

okay, I now am OFFICIALLY a recipient of the DERP award. it took a reset of the game to make NOVAPUNCH show up. BUT, Mechjeb is STILL MIA from my career mode.... I downloaded the new .dll and put it in this location:

KSP>Plugins

so the plugins folder shows:

a PluginData folder

a Plugins folder and

mechjeb2.dll

funny thing is, with it in that location, it works just fine in sandbox, but is STILL MIA from career...

I used the hotfix released yesterday and while there are no MechJeb parts in career mode that I've seen (yet), MechJeb itself was turned on from the simplest rockets with no parts needed. Having the TWR from day one is super helpful, that's for sure.

I did, but, the plugin folder is where it decided it wanted to dump the .dll.

ALSO, I am about to lose my mind with NOVAPUNCH. I go to the R&D tree, I research ALL the parts on my tree, and go to the VAB, and it tells me that the parts NEED R&D research, so, I do it AGAIN, and go back to the VAB, and AGAIN it says it needs me to research the SAME BLASTED PARTS AGAIN.

Download this zip file: http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ (not just the DLL) and put the mechjeb2 folder in the GameData folder.

ONLY the Ar202 part has been added to the tech tree, and its all the way at the end in the special "automation" node. Later updates to unlock specific functions of Mechjeb in different tiers are planned for later last I heard.

Edit: the thing with the parts not staying unlocked sounds like your save file may have gotten broken when you were making changes before the reload. You sadly may have to start over. Try another restart and then come in and buy the parts and see if they unlock.

Edited by Tiberion

I just tested it here and its working correctly.

New Save (without NP parts in Gamedata)

Exited out and edited my save quickly to get some science points to unlock a few nodes)

Put NP parts back in, reloaded database from alt+f12 menu

Went into VAB to make sure the parts were still locked

Entered R&D and clicked on each indivdual part and confirmed that I wanted to unlock them.

Returned to VAB to find them available.

If you're definitely clicking each part and confirming the purchase, and they are still showing locked when you return, even after a restart, there's something wrong with your save file.

I am about to lose my sh&^ over this. I just picked a part at random, the Basic Bertha Mini Quad. Take a look. I am pointing at a different version of the SAME thing in each picture even if the mouse refuses to show up. How exactly can I fix this, that does not require a few days of rework on science, as it was mind numbing to get to this point :(

gru7.png

bprg.png

s9nn.png

wz7c.png

Okay, I am not one to cry over a video game, but, this is about to make me cry. I just started a NEW career mode. I researched my parts in that FIRST box, and went to the VAB. guess what? it gave me the SAME BS about needing to research them. went back INTO the R&D and clicked that first box, and it had a DUPLICATE set of parts + the ones I already researched. This is going to kill me or make me break something.

That's very weird.

I need you to grab a couple of files so we can look at them internally to see whats going on.

Firstly, when you are in KSP and seeing the duplicated parts in R&D, immediately close KSP (alt+f4) and find output_log.txt inside your KSP_Data folder wherever you have KSP installed.

Then go into the saves/YourCareerSaveName and find the persistance.sfs file

toss those two files in a zip file and upload them somewhere so we can have a look at them.

Also - what other mods do you have installed, and do you have any that may not be updated to .22. I see the LAZOR mod there at least.

Edited by Tiberion

Well, I may have just wasted 15 minutes, but I just couldn't get mechjeb to work so I went through and added these two fields:

TechRequired

entryCost

To the config files of each of the command pods.

Seemed to work. So far. Picked up the values from the equivalent non-mechjeb file on another install.

Go on, someone tell me I've wasted my time :D

OK if you have a Mod / part that has not been updated to fit in the New Career mode , but shows up fine in the Sandbox, then what is needed is a simple update to the CFG file of the missing part .. for it to show up in the Career mode It NEEDS the line "TechRequired ="

// --- editor parameters ---

TechRequired = unmannedTech

As you can see I put it in with the UnmannedTech catagory

This is all to make it work in Career mode ...

A simple Fix ... though the owners update is always the best option

OK if you have a Mod / part that has not been updated to fit in the New Career mode , but shows up fine in the Sandbox, then what is needed is a simple update to the CFG file of the missing part .. for it to show up in the Career mode It NEEDS the line "TechRequired ="

// --- editor parameters ---

As you can see I put it in with the UnmannedTech catagory

This is all to make it work in Career mode ...

A simple Fix ... though the owners update is always the best option

I tried it on MechJeb, but it didn't work.

I tried it on MechJeb, but it didn't work.

Odd... I did this for a couple of add-ons (Thus far, KAS, MechJeb, Aviation lights, and RemoteTech) and all of them show up fine. As Tfly stated, you need to:

1. Make sure the part does not already have an entry containing "TechRequired = " (case sensitive!)

2. If it doesn't, find a spot (I recommend under //---editor paramters--- for consistency) and add (let's say for mechJeb, unmanned tech)) this line:

entryCost = 100

Please take note of 2 things. First, everything is CASE SENSITIVE. UnmannedTech will not work, neither will Unmannedtech, it MUST be "unmannedTech".

Second, entry cost really doesn't matter right now, as there is no currency system in play. My standing rule thus far has been to take the part's "cost" and multiply by 5 for the entryCost. Consistent, even if it does get changed later :D

Also, for MechJeb, if you are entering it this way, note that you are editting the part.cfg for the MechJeb AR-202 case, so it will only show the case.

And, lastly, for troubleshooting, if the above method does not work, try using "TechRequired = start", again, case sensitive. This will place that part in the starter items, saving the time and effort of unlocking the science up to unmanned tech.

Hope this helps, and good luck :D

Edited by kalor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.