[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

YEA.....that's gonna work out perfect!

Planning a heavy Kerbin-based Industrial & Science Airship. It will basically be flying base capable of processing all science on Kerbin, and striping the planet of all natural resources and getting them to orbit.

Waiting for the modular envelopes to start though. Will be WAY to hard to balance otherwise. Gonna be kinda hard to trim out even with em, but will be worth it. It's gonna be the the biggest airship I've built to date, and I've build some massive ones.

1 hour ago, KhaosCorp said:

YEA.....that's gonna work out perfect!

Planning a heavy Kerbin-based Industrial & Science Airship. It will basically be flying base capable of processing all science on Kerbin, and striping the planet of all natural resources and getting them to orbit.

Waiting for the modular envelopes to start though. Will be WAY to hard to balance otherwise. Gonna be kinda hard to trim out even with em, but will be worth it. It's gonna be the the biggest airship I've built to date, and I've build some massive ones.

Actually we are working on an auto trim and I am going to be working on some SUPER powered RCS type thrusters, pitch only, to help out too.

20 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Actually we are working on an auto trim and I am going to be working on some SUPER powered RCS type thrusters, pitch only, to help out too.

No..not flight trim.

That's gonna be a pain too, but not to worried about that. That's never to bad with multiple envelopes.

I was reffing the balance in the SPH. Balancing the actual craft bit tot he envelope bit is what worries me.It's gonna need to be on point.

Sure wont say no to an auto flight trim feature though, sounds like it would be super helpful.

2 minutes ago, KhaosCorp said:

No..not flight trim.

That's gonna be a pain too, but not to worried about that. That's never to bad with multiple envelopes.

I was reffing the balance in the SPH. Balancing the actual craft bit tot he envelope bit is what worries me.It's gonna need to be on point.

Sure wont say no to an auto flight trim feature though, sounds like it would be super helpful.

Ah got it! I have been thinking about adding some surface mount 'ballast' tanks. Would simply fill them in the hanger to adjust balance of the ship. Might even have them able to decouple in flight. Would need to look into it.

24 minutes ago, Doghead13 said:

How about liquid ballast - water - that can be pumped between tanks to adjust trim in flight?

Some time ago me and a maker buddy of mine made plans for a small 2 person rigid airship. The ONLY thing that stopped the project was the insane cost of high-grade helium and the sheer volume needed....its nuts.

IRL it takes aprox. 6 cu. ft. of very high grade helium to zero boyancy of ONE POUND at sea level. That translate to about $24.80 USD per pound ya wanna get off the ground....a foot or so...more if ya wanna go higher.

The system we had designed to adjust flight trim was exactly what is proposed by Doghead. A small tank in the front and rear of passenger carriage, hose connecting the tanks with a 12V pump midway.

The pump was a simple, slow, and reversible pump robed from a pond filter system. In the sense of aircraft water is actually pretty heavy, just over 8 1/4 pounds per gallon. We were gonna use 3 gallon tanks for out trim system. That is almost 26 pounds of shiftable ballast...would have been more than enough for a small 2 man gondola. 

17 minutes ago, KhaosCorp said:

Some time ago me and a maker buddy of mine made plans for a small 2 person rigid airship. The ONLY thing that stopped the project was the insane cost of high-grade helium and the sheer volume needed....its nuts.

IRL it takes aprox. 6 cu. ft. of very high grade helium to zero boyancy of ONE POUND at sea level. That translate to about $24.80 USD per pound ya wanna get off the ground....a foot or so...more if ya wanna go higher.

The system we had designed to adjust flight trim was exactly what is proposed by Doghead. A small tank in the front and rear of passenger carriage, hose connecting the tanks with a 12V pump midway.

The pump was a simple, slow, and reversible pump robed from a pond filter system. In the sense of aircraft water is actually pretty heavy, just over 8 1/4 pounds per gallon. We were gonna use 3 gallon tanks for out trim system. That is almost 26 pounds of shiftable ballast...would have been more than enough for a small 2 man gondola. 

So does KSP use liters for volume then? Because if so then I will need a liquid far more dense than water...

9 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

So does KSP use liters for volume then? Because if so then I will need a liquid far more dense than water...

I think KSP does use liters.

Heavy liquids man. They make chemical liquids that are up 13 times as dense as water.

Sodium and Tungsten based stuff even non-toxic ya.

One of the better uses for the deployable envelopes imo DarkGod.

If you use IR as well its possible to build a high altitude launch platform for Eve. I've used Cirrus envelopes to get high enough in Eve atmo to make orbit with Dv on par with Kerbin. 

First thing I'm doing if we get AirPark is making (or attempting to rather) a Jool mining platform. 

Alright so here we go! Another little teaser of a new and, hopefully, VERY welcome new feature to the plugin!

That's right! The editor now as a Hooligan Labs tab that will tell you if your airship can get off the ground on each of the five planets/moons that have an atmosphere! No more building a titan of ship when you only need a small one.

Edited by JewelShisen

Just now, KhaosCorp said:

One of the better uses for the deployable envelopes imo DarkGod.

If you use IR as well its possible to build a high altitude launch platform for Eve. I've used Cirrus envelopes to get high enough in Eve atmo to make orbit with Dv on par with Kerbin.

Oh yes that's what I did, didnt need IR though. Look at slide 44 there https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/4iujou/eve_to_boldy_go_and_to_cunningly_return/

The rocket is very small :)

@JewelShisen oh very neat! Is the planet's list dynamic ? I mean if a kopernicus pack adds an atmospheric planet (like many do) does it lists it ?

4 minutes ago, DarkGod said:

Oh yes that's what I did, didnt need IR though. Look at slide 44 there https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/4iujou/eve_to_boldy_go_and_to_cunningly_return/

The rocket is very small :)

@JewelShisen oh very neat! Is the planet's list dynamic ? I mean if a kopernicus pack adds an atmospheric planet (like many do) does it lists it ?

I do not know. I would have to talk to dunclaw and see how he set it up.

Here we go! I just made my own video to talk about the updates coming to HL Airships!

And the update is now LIVE!

This is my FIRST time ever doing this so please forgive any errors or bugs in the video...

Edited by JewelShisen

A little late for the update but finally done and submitted for approval

aIk8hH8.pngyGwHJfe.png

hsQeDDW.pngwyNW46o.png

The dark color envelope is one part while the light color is modular. The modular can be assembled a numerous configurations from huge lumbering craft to iddy biddy probe sized craft. All parts are also tweakscale compatible too meaning you can go mad, and as a bonus feature  both types feature large cargo bays.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.