[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

2 hours ago, Artfact said:

Awesome, thanks!:D 

I'll add the new parts to the Engineering Tech Tree tomorrow.:)

Meanwhile, I'm playing around in my dinky little floaty airship. A great way to get around the demonically possessed landing gear.:)

Neat little ship! Here's what I made with the new parts I made as well as the ailerons meant for the space shuttle size parts.

qh8Bhw5.jpg

6 hours ago, sirrliv said:

Excellent! Look forward to testing out these new prototype parts.

Speaking of prototype parts, if I may ask, what became of the parts SpannerMonkey was showing off back on page 38?

Those should also be part of the latest release

I made a TweakScale configuration file for this, I haven't tested everything out yet, but the few parts I've tried so far seem to work. I'll paste a few of the entries here, and if anyone wants the whole thing let me know. Just copy and paste these into a new text file. Save it as HLAirships_Tweakscale.cfg, or something like that (it doesn't matter per say), in the HLAirships folder in GameData. Obviously you need to have TweakScale and Module Manager installed. I'm not sure of the limit per post, and I don't have a dropbox, so just a few of the total entries:

@PART[LedZep2R] // Led Zep2R Rigid Airship
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = free
        defaultScale = 100
    }
}
@PART[ZepR2MotorMount] // ZepR2MotorMount
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = surface
        defaultScale = 1.25
    }
}
@PART[ZepTailFin] // AIrship Universal stabiliser
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = surface
        defaultScale = 1.25
    }
}
@PART[ProtoLiftBody] // Probe Sized Air Envelope
{
    %MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        type = stack
        defaultScale = 1.25
    }
}

Edited by graphite747
further dependency

Oh man, I'm going to have to totally redesign my long-range crew-retreival airship (playing with a self-imposed 'no clicking recover on anything away from KSC' rule for Storyness) courtesy of that thing of splendour and magnificence.

This... this is the airship we've all be waiting for. Thankyou!

BTW - Seeing some phantom forces with the older large gasbag parts: they're particularly vicious about clipping (goes up like a bomb as soon as physics load) while if you have two chains of three gasbags, and tie the end pair (furthest from the root part) together with a strut, the Kraken descends with a vengeance, and I'm unable to place solar panels/engines/etc further out than the second gasbag in a chain without the resulting vehicle shaking itself to pieces. I'll upload pics of 'safe' and 'problem' builds once I'm in the same building as my gaming rig - am posting this on my lunch break at work.

4 hours ago, Doghead13 said:

Oh man, I'm going to have to totally redesign my long-range crew-retreival airship (playing with a self-imposed 'no clicking recover on anything away from KSC' rule for Storyness) courtesy of that thing of splendour and magnificence.

This... this is the airship we've all be waiting for. Thankyou!

BTW - Seeing some phantom forces with the older large gasbag parts: they're particularly vicious about clipping (goes up like a bomb as soon as physics load) while if you have two chains of three gasbags, and tie the end pair (furthest from the root part) together with a strut, the Kraken descends with a vengeance, and I'm unable to place solar panels/engines/etc further out than the second gasbag in a chain without the resulting vehicle shaking itself to pieces. I'll upload pics of 'safe' and 'problem' builds once I'm in the same building as my gaming rig - am posting this on my lunch break at work.

I would love to see it!

Here's the 'safe' build: the Jolly Grey Giant-class long-range solar-electric airship The Beast. This is the class prototype, and still needs a little tweaking - basically, she could do with a little more weight astern as she's nose-heavy, though the adjustment to trim you guys have done since the version of the mod I have installed right now may help there.

Gondola is constructed from Roverdude's Karibu rover parts - while power is courtesy of Firespitter electric propellers run off, again, modded solar panels. The glowing 'insect abdomen' part is from one of Roverdude's other mods and acts as crew accomodation when she's landed for the night. The two forwards ballast tanks (again from Firespitter) are empty, with the tanks between the two sets of props being full, in an attempt to keep her nose-up; even still she sits at about five degrees nose-down in flight - I don't have any in-flight screenies as I've been taking screenshots 'in character', keeping them strictly to where a conceptual Kerbal photographer could have been, aside from a couple of 'artist's impressions' of unmanned probes in flight.

Service ceiling is well past twelve kilometers, and with full solar exposure she'll go past 90 metres per second at altitude. She could use a little better power generation - she's only able to run her engines at two-thirds throttle max - but given her reliance on sunlight, she performs exactly as per her design criteria.

screenshot_2016-05-23--20-04-58_zpsjbcqj

This build can be made unsafe by placing a strut between the rearmost two gasbags; this causes steadily increasing part wobble in the rear two bags, until they shake the back of the ship to bits. As is, it experiences small phantom forces - about 0.1 m/s per 20 secs or so forwards acceleration.

I'll recreate one of the wildly unsafe builds and upload a pic if you like. Might this have something to do with the big grey connector parts?

Here's her predecessor - used by my Kerbals to test the concept of a long-range solar-powered airship. Officially named 'Airship One', it received the not-so-fond title of Krakenbait courtesy of nearly killing the crew numerous times - it's NOT a safe build, even before we get to the random wheel explosions or the way it goes drunkenly tumbling across the sky if the engines unexpectedly lose thrust (read, run out of electricity) in flight, and goes up like freaking Vesuvius if you click the anchor button probably as there's thirty-odd parts clipped inside the gasbag part. It however made it right round Kerbin, westbound and back to KSC - despite leaving several parts behind along the way.

screenshot_2016-05-21--11-58-34_zpshvbba

So I wanted to ask you all what you want to see coming down the line for this mod? Do you want bigger parts? Smaller parts? More odd parts?

I am going to go on and work on a set of 0.625m parts. Perhaps even a small KIS drone.

Edited by JewelShisen

A range of sizes of the new gasbag style would be lovely - maybe something like tweakscale on it, allowing you to tune the gasbag size from 'suitable to take a probe core, RemoteTech antenna or two, fuel tank, anchor, reaction wheel, and single engine aloft' up to the current giant of the skies, all with the classical airship gasbag style. Maybe some specific airship gondola parts? Like a set of sections to make railed platforms for Kerbals to walk around on and cockpit/capsule parts visually based on the likes of the R100 complete with brass-dialled and ships-wheeled interior to satiate the not-so-latent inner steampunk of the sort of person most likely to be all over an airship mod? A 'crow's nest' for getting Kerbals onto the top of the gasbag and in-character navigating by the stars?

Some sort of radially-attached propeller engine, where the engine itself is something like a heavy inline four-cylinder diesel fully exposed to sight, complete with a nice gnarly radiator, would compliment the classical airship look beautifully.

Pie in the sky would be a custom map-mode icon, where instead of a little capsule or base or probe or whatever you get a little airship silhouette.

Not sure if any of that is in the scope of this mod, but anyway.

3 minutes ago, Doghead13 said:

A range of sizes of the new gasbag style would be lovely - maybe something like tweakscale on it, allowing you to tune the gasbag size from 'suitable to take a probe core, RemoteTech antenna or two, fuel tank, anchor, reaction wheel, and single engine aloft' up to the current giant of the skies, all with the classical airship gasbag style. Maybe some specific airship gondola parts? Like a set of sections to make railed platforms for Kerbals to walk around on and cockpit/capsule parts visually based on the likes of the R100 complete with brass-dialled and ships-wheeled interior to satiate the not-so-latent inner steampunk of the sort of person most likely to be all over an airship mod? A 'crow's nest' for getting Kerbals onto the top of the gasbag and in-character navigating by the stars?

Some sort of radially-attached propeller engine, where the engine itself is something like a heavy inline four-cylinder diesel fully exposed to sight, complete with a nice gnarly radiator, would compliment the classical airship look beautifully.

Pie in the sky would be a custom map-mode icon, where instead of a little capsule or base or probe or whatever you get a little airship silhouette.

Not sure if any of that is in the scope of this mod, but anyway.

• New sizes (Sure)
  • Tweakscale (Maybe, want to avoid mod dependancy)
  • Airship Gondola parts (Sure)
  • Cockpits (Maybe but somebody else would have to do the internals)
  • Radial Engine (Maybe. Would need to learn how to make one)
  • Custom map icon (Not sure if that is possible actually.)

3 minutes ago, Deizelpunk said:

When i try to place things on it radially it acts as if the airship is pointing up towards the sky in the hangar even though its horizontal.

That is because I need to fix how I have it oriented in Unity! If you just spawn the part in and don't rotate it at all then the radial attach parts point forward as they should.

Curious if anyone has problems with craft instantly flipping out on lift off. I just attached an "Una" to an Okto with an FL-A10 adapter with science attachments on them. I opened the UI, started asceding at 0.4 m/s at it starts rocking uncontrolably which quickly accelerates to a spinning mess and crashes into the ground. Here's my mod list.

KSP: 1.1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
Toolbar - 1.7.12
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.7.1
AtmosphereAutopilot - 1.5.3
Contract Configurator - 1.11.5
Contract Pack: AntennaRange Relays - 1.3
Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose - 1.2.5
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.2.1.2
Crowd Sourced Science - 3.0.2
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.8
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.2
Contract Parser - 1.0.3
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.6.3
Progress Parser - 1.0.4
Engine Lighting - 1.4.3
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.6.5
RasterPropMonitor - 0.26
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.7
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.7
KerbalKonstructs - 0.9.7
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.10
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.4
Final Frontier - 1.0.10.2467
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.0.10
RCS Sounds - 5.0
RealPlume - Stock - 0.10.7
SCANsat - 1.1.6.1
SolverEngines - 2.1
SpaceY Lifters - 1.12.7
Stock Visual Enhancements - 0.7.1
Strategia - 1.2.2
TextureReplacer - 2.4.13
Trajectories - 1.6.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.6.3
Unmanned before Manned - 1.0.8.3
VenStockRevamp - 1.9.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.5.2
[x] Science! - 4.18

Edited by Shattermage
Duplicate copy/paste.

1 hour ago, Shattermage said:

Curious if anyone has problems with craft instantly flipping out on lift off. I just attached an "Una" to an Okto with an FL-A10 adapter with science attachments on them. I opened the UI, started asceding at 0.4 m/s at it starts rocking uncontrolably which quickly accelerates to a spinning mess and crashes into the ground. Here's my mod list.

KSP: 1.1.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.2.4f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
Toolbar - 1.7.12
Advanced Jet Engine - 2.7.1
AtmosphereAutopilot - 1.5.3
Contract Configurator - 1.11.5
Contract Pack: AntennaRange Relays - 1.3
Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose - 1.2.5
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.2.1.2
Crowd Sourced Science - 3.0.2
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.8
CapCom Mission Control On The Go - 1.0.2.2
Contract Parser - 1.0.3
Contracts Window Plus - 1.0.6.3
Progress Parser - 1.0.4
Engine Lighting - 1.4.3
Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.15.6.5
RasterPropMonitor - 0.26
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.5.7
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.1
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.7
KerbalKonstructs - 0.9.7
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.2.10
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.1
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.1.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.4
Final Frontier - 1.0.10.2467
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.0.10
RCS Sounds - 5.0
RealPlume - Stock - 0.10.7
SCANsat - 1.1.6.1
SolverEngines - 2.1
SpaceY Lifters - 1.12.7
Stock Visual Enhancements - 0.7.1
Strategia - 1.2.2
TextureReplacer - 2.4.13
Trajectories - 1.6.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.6.3
Unmanned before Manned - 1.0.8.3
VenStockRevamp - 1.9.2
Waypoint Manager - 2.5.2
[x] Science! - 4.18

That is a known issue. What version of HL are you using? I do not see it in your list.

1 hour ago, JewelShisen said:

That is a known issue. What version of HL are you using? I do not see it in your list.

Sorry, I just copy/pasted from the KSP-AVC list on the main menu.

It's v5.3. Got it from Spacedock today.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.