[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

6 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Working on taking down the curse page now.

As for the cheating thing I think that has to do largely with the fact that the mod doesn't use up any resources at the moment.

Nice. The resource thing is a bit cheats, even though I argued it was fine years ago. I think what makes it more cheaty though is how I always set the break away strength of the airship parts very high. So it could be used when parachutes wouldn't work. Is that still true?

4 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@Hooligan Labs Nice to see you saying hi!. :) Thanks to you and @JewelShisen, we get to fly airships around. Definitely loads of fun. :)

:cool:

2 minutes ago, Hooligan Labs said:

I think what makes it more cheaty though is how I always set the break away strength of the airship parts very high

Well now that you mention it yes it is, but we have a way around that now, which i can test as I'm knee deep in cfg's anyway, the answer is size 7 nodes for the main hull connections, that'll fix that little issue, if it works for 500 tonne ship hull parts it'll work here too

6 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

the answer is size 7 nodes for the main hull connections, that'll fix that little issue, if it works for 500 tonne ship hull parts it'll work here too

That's cool! Node sizes affect break torque? I made this back in beta, before we even had electricity in the game.

12 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Thanks, i appreciate that coming from the godfather of Kerbal Airships

It goes further back than that! I got the original code and models from someone doing a simple and ultimately totally broken blimp thing. And he got his code from some original brilliant Unity programmer... I actually learned to use open source and object oriented programming by making this mod.

I helped a bit with Firespitter when it started. He always blew me away with how he made great models and textures so simply. Glad he got a chance to work on the KSP team.

13 minutes ago, Hooligan Labs said:

I got the original code and models from someone doing a simple and ultimately totally broken blimp thing

I have some vague recollection of an earlier attempt but it's so long ago early 2012 ish maybe.  yes i remember before EC and the first EC being done by  a mod ( the parachute mod he also did is alive and well too} The classics live on,  and the KSP modding community don't seem to favor much reinventing  the wheel :) , unless it is wheels then a lot of reinventing has been done:D

13 minutes ago, Hooligan Labs said:

I got the original code and models from someone doing a simple and ultimately totally broken blimp thing

I have some vague recollection of an earlier attempt but it's so long ago early 2012 ish maybe.  yes i remember before EC and the first EC being done by  a mod ( the parachute mod he also did is alive and well too} The classics live on,  and the KSP modding community don't seem to favor much reinventing  the wheel :) , unless it is wheels then a lot of reinventing has been done:D

26 minutes ago, colmo said:

I always did want a floating base in the atmosphere of Eve. @Angel-125's Heisenberg might just do the trick - maybe lash a few of those together...

The way they now allow for in flight saving makes something like that so much easier. I've built floating colonies on Jool (see my bungee jumping video) but it required wired use of anchors and ships would mysteriously disappear often.

I heard your IVA may want to be looked at? Is the model posted somewhere?

30 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

@colmo You can definitely make floating bases:

AirPark will make it possible to run your kerbals around on the deck. :)

That thing will need some safety rails!

I think @Eleusis La Arwall's Keridian Dynamics parts would make on-base construction practical and slick.

Now, could we mine Eve's atmosphere for materials? I'm reminded of @BobCat's atmospheric mining station. As a Venus analogue, CO2 to ethanol is actually realistic: http://www.wired.co.uk/article/carbon-dioxide-ethanol-reaction

Carbon, oxygen and carbon monoxide are also doable: http://science.energy.gov/bes/highlights/2012/bes-2012-12-b/

There might even be particulate metals in the atmosphere of such a planet...we can perform ISRU on land and in water, so in air could be next?

Edit: This blogger has spent some time on this subject - http://selenianboondocks.com/category/venus/

Edited by colmo
Found blogger interested in Venus ISRU

• 3 weeks later...

Well i tried to floatin air station (i planned to place several for different porpoises, altitude of which 5 000 m, 12 000 m, 19 000 m, 25 000 m, and 30 000 m), butt when it reached the designated altitude, i killed the speed to 0.00 m/s at the gui, but it could just not stop, the lowest speed is 0.06 m/s which means i can't go to spacecenter while it on the air!

@Angel-125
LdDsqkY.jpgPretty sure this voids the warranty! And I agree with Bob and Bill there!

w5KHWMu.jpg  And the HL-01 Flying Airbase is in station! Now who has Bob's brown pants?!

On 1/1/2017 at 10:56 AM, hanhan658 said:

*Purpose*

In the Hooligan Labs tab is an anchor that looks like a giant three prong fish hook. Put that on your ship somewhere and it will allow you to use the AirPark Feature to bring your ship to a complete stop.

Edited by JewelShisen

9 hours ago, JewelShisen said:

In the Hooligan Labs tab is an anchor that looks like a giant three prong fish hook. Put that on your ship somewhere and it will allow you to use the AirPark Feature to bring your ship to a complete stop.

Witch tab? Do you mean that looks like an airship, if this is the case, whitch,n because there is one at the spacecenter view, hangar wiew, and fly view. or something different

38 minutes ago, Jz03 said:

hey how do you get the parts i have installed it many times but it wont show the parts from the mod and the Heisenberg airships mod i need help :) 

The parts should be in the Airship tab if you installed it correctly. Shoot me a screenshot of your GameData folder and the SPH?

10 hours ago, Deizelpunk said:

Hey anyone know how to fix the airships exploding when you try and load them? I can launch mine with launch clamps but even when its air parked i cant load it if leave and come back without it exploding.

That is odd since I do not have that issue at all. Though I do use the autostrut feature in excess really...

On 1/4/2017 at 0:48 AM, JewelShisen said:

@Angel-125
LdDsqkY.jpgPretty sure this voids the warranty! And I agree with Bob and Bill there!

w5KHWMu.jpg  And the HL-01 Flying Airbase is in station! Now who has Bob's brown pants?!

That actually sorta happened once. The Los Angeles did a nose stand.

Berthing procedures where changed somewhat after this incident..

Forum won't let me post an image (new user stuff probably) so here's the link:

http://imgur.com/itorhDP

:o

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.