[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

I write this without having kept up with the latest changes to my mod, by those keeping it up to date. :)

Yes, the custom script affects nearby EVA Kerbals and makes them sink like they had ballast tanks.

KSP has a real problem with objects at an altitude of -600 meters or less. While it might seem like it works at first, if you open a debug window you would find it constantly spewing errors.

The biggest problem is how it handles loading back in a vessel that is below 600m underwater. It will place the vessel partway underground, causing the vessel to explode into pieces. Same for EVAs.

Perhaps there could be an option to allow vessels to go deeper, but also consider this... Under 600 meters of water, the pressure is something like that of 30 Mainsail rockets firing full power. Per square inch. Could almost anything survive that?

I don't think it's too weak so much as a difference in design. If it is still like how it was when I based the submarine parts off of the Firespitter parts, then the Firespitter parts only change how their own colliders interact with water. Thus, a pontoon might do fine in water but for any other part it is like hitting solid earth. The submarine ballast tanks make it so the entire vessel has its parts' colliders replaced with ones that treat water as water and not as solid ground. So yes, your whole rocket not splashes rather than crashes! Though it probably doesn't float anymore. :)

You are indeed correct as I have not messed with the code just yet. Though I have found an odd problem with the SQUID parts right now.

I write this without having kept up with the latest changes to my mod, by those keeping it up to date. :)

Yes, the custom script affects nearby EVA Kerbals and makes them sink like they had ballast tanks.

KSP has a real problem with objects at an altitude of -600 meters or less. While it might seem like it works at first, if you open a debug window you would find it constantly spewing errors.

The biggest problem is how it handles loading back in a vessel that is below 600m underwater. It will place the vessel partway underground, causing the vessel to explode into pieces. Same for EVAs.

Perhaps there could be an option to allow vessels to go deeper, but also consider this... Under 600 meters of water, the pressure is something like that of 30 Mainsail rockets firing full power. Per square inch. Could almost anything survive that?

I don't think it's too weak so much as a difference in design. If it is still like how it was when I based the submarine parts off of the Firespitter parts, then the Firespitter parts only change how their own colliders interact with water. Thus, a pontoon might do fine in water but for any other part it is like hitting solid earth. The submarine ballast tanks make it so the entire vessel has its parts' colliders replaced with ones that treat water as water and not as solid ground. So yes, your whole rocket not splashes rather than crashes! Though it probably doesn't float anymore. :)

I forgot to say, that these parts wobble and collapse, when they have to hold anything bigger than 50 tons over land. Well, maybe downsizing them with tweakables weakens them too much?

• 2 weeks later...
All the sizes! Actually, if it works, you could see if the TweakScale mod works on these.

Actually I have been looking into using that! I would need to look at it more and see how to set it up but if you would like I could give you a set of these new parts to test for me. Right now they are 2.5m x 1.25m in size due to being oval shaped.

How about Kerbodyne size? A few additional parts make the stock Kerbodyne parts much more useful. *Shamelessly plugs link in sig.*

Being able to switch the inflatable parts to deflated during craft building would be very useful.

How about Kerbodyne size? A few additional parts make the stock Kerbodyne parts much more useful. *Shamelessly plugs link in sig.*

Being able to switch the inflatable parts to deflated during craft building would be very useful.

I certainly could make some that are that size.

As for switching the inflated ones in the VAB/SPH I would have to figure out how to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

I repeat the HL Airships and SQUID are go for 0.24!

Just tested them and the old parts work although the new ones are tossing up TONS of NRE errors in the debug. Have to hunt that one down... >.> Anyways I don't know if the Subs are working yet so if somebody can check that it would be AWESOME. :D

JewelShishen, I was having a problem in .23.5 where the Squid legs would pop off and go FLYING when I retracted them, and they often caused issues when I tried to land. Hell, it was often the case that when I tried to land on the moon, SQUID was actually HURTING my chances of landing successfully! Has this been fixed?

JewelShishen, I was having a problem in .23.5 where the Squid legs would pop off and go FLYING when I retracted them, and they often caused issues when I tried to land. Hell, it was often the case that when I tried to land on the moon, SQUID was actually HURTING my chances of landing successfully! Has this been fixed?

Not yet! Sadly. I'm not sure what is causing it to be honest and until the source of the error is found (be it code or part or both) then those will have to remain broken like our dreams. :(

I had asked Sirkut to look into the code when he had time and he hadn't found the problem last I checked but please don't go bug him about it. He has his own mod to keep up and get into 0.24. :)

Alright. When they are fixed though, I will definately redownload... I am horrible at landings, often requiring 8-10 reloads because I always end up bouncing. xD

I know how that is. :) Hope you keep the airships at least though. :)

Have you tried adding "Toggle Squid" to the landing gear action group? This should automatically activate/deactivate Squid as your gear deploys/retracts.

OK, wee-bitty problem with saves. I know, you can't save while your craft's in the air. For some reason I can't save while my craft's on the ground either.

Only happens occasionally but always with HL airships. My current craft is landed solidly, Cirrus has been detached and has wandered off into the stratosphere, craft has docked with a second craft, also ground-based.

Can't switch back to KSC, can't switch to any other craft. F5 is non-functional, Alt-F5 likewise. My only options are to Resume Flight or Revert and neither is getting me much of anywhere.

Sounds like the landing is failing to register for some reason. Not sure why.

Thots?

Have you tried adding "Toggle Squid" to the landing gear action group? This should automatically activate/deactivate Squid as your gear deploys/retracts.

That isn't the problem. The problem is that the landing leg in question has been changed and the HL code is messing up on it.

In regards to your issue i have not seen it myself but i will do some testing after work and see if i can mimic it.

Errrr.... I hope that you haven't spent too much time on it. I just did some testing trying to drive the offending vehicle to site and had the same problem without any HL parts attached. Now I don't know where the fault is.

Sorry about that.

Errrr.... I hope that you haven't spent too much time on it. I just did some testing trying to drive the offending vehicle to site and had the same problem without any HL parts attached. Now I don't know where the fault is.

Sorry about that.

I actually JUST got off work so no time spent at all yet. :) Hope you find the error!

I repeat the HL Airships and SQUID are go for 0.24!

Just tested them and the old parts work although the new ones are tossing up TONS of NRE errors in the debug. Have to hunt that one down... >.> Anyways I don't know if the Subs are working yet so if somebody can check that it would be AWESOME. :D

I just wanted to double check about the versions since the CurseForge files all still say .23.5 on them.

Edit: Also is there an upper limit to how fast you can be going when you deploy an airship balloon? Will they be ripped off if you are going too fast?

Edited by Smurfalot

I just wanted to double check about the versions since the CurseForge files all still say .23.5 on them.

Edit: Also is there an upper limit to how fast you can be going when you deploy an airship balloon? Will they be ripped off if you are going too fast?

Yes the 0.23.5 version is still valid for 0.24.

As for your question they apply a slowly increasing amount of lift so unless you are playing with FAR then it shouldn't rip your ship apart but I wouldn't suggest deploying it during reentry or anything. Let your speed drop down to under 300-500m/s just to be safe. I haven't tested it faster than that.

Yes the 0.23.5 version is still valid for 0.24.

As for your question they apply a slowly increasing amount of lift so unless you are playing with FAR then it shouldn't rip your ship apart but I wouldn't suggest deploying it during reentry or anything. Let your speed drop down to under 300-500m/s just to be safe. I haven't tested it faster than that.

Awesome, thanks. Also thank you for being a good steward of these incredible mods and props to all the original creators and contributors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.