[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

28 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

yea here are the errors:

[LOG 15:47:46.330] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HLAirships/Parts/Aero/ZepKit/ZepNoseCone/ZepNoseCone'
[ERR 15:47:46.334] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'HLAirships/Parts/ZepKit/Zepnosecone' as model does not exist

[ERR 15:47:46.334] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 15:47:46.334] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 15:47:46.335] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 15:47:46.335] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'HLAirships/Parts/Aero/ZepKit/ZepTailCone/ZepTailCone'
[ERR 15:47:46.337] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'SM_Aviation/Parts/Aero/ZepKit/ZepTailcone' as model does not exist

[ERR 15:47:46.337] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 15:47:46.337] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 15:47:46.337] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

So just some paths that need fixing for the next release. I've modified them myself in the meantime.

Is that new fuel tank so new it's not even in the latest release?

Hi yes the fuel tank is very new, well a week or so old and along with the pod pictured, scenic seating for four ,  will be in the next parts push .  Also it's about time i let you all have the orbiter and basket that I've tested to death (loved every minute of it)  and tweakscaled to suit.

Spoiler

2ALRTrw.png

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

2 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi yes the fuel tank is very new, well a week or so old and along with the pod pictured

was just about to reply to @JewelShisen and point out the pod too which I just noticed. Cool! Look forward to them both

Edited by Gaiiden

1 minute ago, Muffinman840 said:

Will there be Tweakscale compatability? I have a deep, dark need to build enourmous air-warships.

It would also save on redundant parts for different sizes.

Maybe. Scaling up volume is a little more tricky than just a 1:1 size

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 1:58 AM, JewelShisen said:

Update to make the mod work in KSP 1.1.3 is now live.

WOOHOO. This is so handy. actually, when I think about it, there is a realistic concept to this, and I am surprised this isn't used in some variation on real space planes. A helium balloon to land rovers on mars for example.

4 hours ago, CraftyDwarf said:

WOOHOO. This is so handy. actually, when I think about it, there is a realistic concept to this, and I am surprised this isn't used in some variation on real space planes. A helium balloon to land rovers on mars for example.

Here is why. That GIANT 15m one I made for example, on the real Earth, would only be able to lift about 3000 kg. That's only the weight of a small truck.

Now granted, even the large Curiosity rover was only 900 kg but that's still going to be a tight margin on Mars.

On 7/2/2016 at 2:22 PM, CraftyDwarf said:

Remember that mars/duna has very little atmosphere so balloons won't provide much lift. On Venus though you could probably float with party balloons!

Edited by Nightside

On 2-6-2016 at 1:49 PM, IM_AM_SVEN said:

Thought I would share this with you guys. Has taken some work, but is capable of entering Eve atom, hovering at 25km, and then returning back to a 90km orbit using the return vehicle on the underside.

Would this also work on Juno?

Alas... despite the success above, I have been encountering rather severe issues with multiple balloons. The moment I tick auto-pitch during flight, I get the black-screen-o-doom and CTD. Log ends abruptly with nothing alarming in it - presumably because the crash killed it so badly :(

Any thoughts, perchance? ^^;

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

Alas... despite the success above, I have been encountering rather severe issues with multiple balloons. The moment I tick auto-pitch during flight, I get the black-screen-o-doom and CTD. Log ends abruptly with nothing alarming in it - presumably because the crash killed it so badly :(

Any thoughts, perchance? ^^;

That sounds like a pretty bad bug though I don't have any ideas if the logs aren't producing an error.

55 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

That sounds like a pretty bad bug though I don't have any ideas if the logs aren't producing an error.

If I get chance I'll try stripping back my install in case of mod conflicts and see if I can persuade it to at least log something...

13 minutes ago, eddiew said:

If I get chance I'll try stripping back my install in case of mod conflicts and see if I can persuade it to at least log something...

That would be nice. I know without a log that it would be hard to nail that bug.

Hey @JewelShisen, sorry for the delay. The screenshots below have KerbinSide and Tweakscale and other mods in them, but I did a stock+HLA run afterwards and got the same crash :(   Log is here, but there's not really anything in it that seems enlightening. This ship is stock+HLA only (it loads fine without Tweakscale, oddly), so I've also put a craft file here, in case that's useful.

What I did manage was a screenshot of the crash. Everything is fine until auto pitch is turned on (may also require altitude control, not sure). It seems not to manifest until touching the pitch controls, whereupon I suspect I end up down at the centre of Kerbin ^^;  Any attempt to leave this screen invokes a CTD, but doesn't seem to corrupt the save file.

Of note, when black screened, buoyancy is NaN, and the inflation % is massively negative. Maybe an integer got wrapped around?

Of possible note, right clicking either balloon and pressing the GUI button doesn't work on this vessel, I had to use the button on the toolbar to get it to show.

Thanks!

PWvx2kh.jpg

Edited by eddiew

On 6/4/2016 at 8:24 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi yes the fuel tank is very new, well a week or so old and along with the pod pictured, scenic seating for four ,  will be in the next parts push .  Also it's about time i let you all have the orbiter and basket that I've tested to death (loved every minute of it)  and tweakscaled to suit.

Reveal hidden contents

2ALRTrw.png

real life catch up to your for the time being @SpannerMonkey(smce)?

Being a big fan of airships, I'm happy to see this mod resurrected (since the one I'm familiar with, Proc Airships is really dead).  And being the creator of a boat mod, I got to doing a bit of research.  Here is the USS Patoka, a fleet oiler turned into an airship tender.  In this pic the USS Shenandoah (ZR-1) is docked to it.

Uss_Patoka_AO9.jpg

Now combine this bit of photographic inspiration with the fact that I ditched MechJeb years ago because it was having all the fun, and since then I've gained enough skill in docking space vessels that it's not much of a challenge, THIS got my attention.

Keep in mind, this is a VERY early part test and the mooring tower is about twice the size I intended.  But here's the results (and to make it a bit more challenging, I used Clamp Jr.'s for this little test).   I can tell you this. I now have the utmost respect for those guys who flew these monster balloons.  While I had certain advantages, like reaction wheels to help me spin and no wind to blow me around, and they had advantages, like using ropes and not having to line up for a freaking KSP docking port, Those pilots had some impressive skills.

If you guys are interested, I'll dress up the model a bit and include it in my next release.

XfkDkI8.png

Ersxa43.png

Edited by Fengist

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.