[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

somewhere in the relevant PartModule (OnStart, I imagine) you do something like that. I don't know more details as I've only just started doing it myself (not yet released mod) and it's my first foray into animation in KSP.

I think none of this existed when I started, so I hard coded it into the script (see the source code), but there are modules now specifically for animations. Check out the Squad Utility parts, there are lots of them!

I copied this one from an antenna:

{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = Deploy
isOneShot = false
startEventGUIName = Extend
endEventGUIName = Retract
actionGUIName = Toggle Antenna
allowAnimationWhileShielded = False
}

Because I want to be evil and tease you all with parts not yet available I will simply put this here:

zjW1lmz.png

Edit: Just tested it in my KSP and it decouples like a charm! Placement is a little tricky though.

Edited by JewelShisen

Ooh, so happy to seeyou've updated HL Airships! I think the NETKAN file needs to be updated, maybe? CKAN is only showing version 3.0.0 as the latest.

I never gave the author of CKAN permission to even list this mod...

I never gave the author of CKAN permission to even list this mod...

You put it on KerbalStuff, which auto-generates metadata files for CKAN. But the file it submitted was wrong. I've submitted a new NETKAN file now which I believe will work. Why do you think permission is required? The mod is an MIT licence, and CKAN is only a metadata repository. It helps people install your mod, it doesn't make any copies or forks.

You put it on KerbalStuff, which auto-generates metadata files for CKAN. But the file it submitted was wrong. I've submitted a new NETKAN file now which I believe will work. Why do you think permission is required? The mod is an MIT licence, and CKAN is only a metadata repository. It helps people install your mod, it doesn't make any copies or forks.

KerbalStuff asks if you want your mod to have CKAN data made which I declined. Also I looked at the repository and this mod was not listed before nor do I wish it to be there.

KerbalStuff asks if you want your mod to have CKAN data made which I declined. Also I looked at the repository and this mod was not listed before nor do I wish it to be there.

Can I ask why? As a user of many mods, I find CKAN indispensable. I actually stopped using Hooligan Labs Airships due to it not being on CKAN. I thought you'd come around on this, as the author listed by CKAN is your username.

Can I ask why? As a user of many mods, I find CKAN indispensable. I actually stopped using Hooligan Labs Airships due to it not being on CKAN. I thought you'd come around on this, as the author listed by CKAN is your username.

Honestly it is because I don't see a reason for CKAN. Not anymore at least. Back when KSP mods were put in the old way then I would have found it invaluable but now it is literally just a matter of copying over a single folder. I fail to see why that should require a whole second program.

Honestly it is because I don't see a reason for CKAN. Not anymore at least. Back when KSP mods were put in the old way then I would have found it invaluable but now it is literally just a matter of copying over a single folder. I fail to see why that should require a whole second program.
Well, for those of us that use a lot of mods (I have 57 listed in CKAN for my current 1.0.2, and I'm running a fairly light install for me), it makes the whole process of keeping mods up to date and avoiding incompatibilities a whole lot easier. For instance, Hooligan Labs Airships requires Toolbar. I've set it as a dependency in the .netkan file I created, so anyone using CKAN will get Toolbar automatically installed if they choose to install Hooligan Labs Airships. There really is more to it than just copying over a single folder.

If you insist, I will remove the file I created, and continue not using Hooligan Labs Airships, but I do hope you change your mind about this. I'm sure I'm not the only person who uses CKAN as their main source of mod info.

@ politas, I really don't see how many mods you use has anything to do with anything, I use alot of mod my self and, I take my time and goto every Mods thread CKAN and this is not to be rude but for lazy people that wants something to do all the work for them and really don't see how it has anything to do with avoiding incompatibilities, IMO is BS it's just Lazy and it's funny how people try to threaten to not use a mod really, I would say so what don't use it then.

@ politas, I really don't see how many mods you use has anything to do with anything, I use alot of mod my self and, I take my time and goto every Mods thread CKAN and this is not to be rude but for lazy people that wants something to do all the work for them and really don't see how it has anything to do with avoiding incompatibilities, IMO is BS it's just Lazy and it's funny how people try to threaten to not use a mod really, I would say so what don't use it then.

Well, for example, there's this mod and Procedural Airships that do very similar things. Can you use both of them? Can you mix and match parts of one with the other or use the control system from one to control the parts of the other? Would installing them both cause one or the other (or both) to not work? Is it laziness? Perhaps. But we're talking about mods for a game. Something that I do to enjoy myself. Time spent reading every detail of a mod's forum posts or readme file is time I'm not enjoying the game (or the mod). Some mods forum threads run to many hundreds of pages. How much time should a player spend reading through them in order to find every report of an incompatibility with some other mod they want to use? If I tried to read every forum post for the mods I use, I wouldn't have any time left to actually play KSP.

Most mod authors do actually want people to use their mod. That's generally why they share them. The purpose of CKAN is to make using mods simpler and less frustrating. Now, some mods are easy to install and have few interactions with other parts of the system. Some, like say Renaissance Compilation or Astronomer's Pack, make use of facilities and plugins provided by other mod authors. Installing such a collection of mods in the wrong order can leave you with an unusable game.

I've got no problem with people who choose not to use CKAN. That's fine, you can chase up all the details on your own if you want to. But for me, mods were a nightmare until I found CKAN, and they've been great ever since. For me, CKAN makes a modded game something I enjoy, while without it, I was tearing my hair out in frustration and throwing away complete game installs. So, like I said: for me, CKAN is indispensable.

Oh, and by the way, saying "this is not to be rude" and then calling someone lazy? Sorry, but that is rude.

Well, for example, there's this mod and Procedural Airships that do very similar things. Can you use both of them? Can you mix and match parts of one with the other or use the control system from one to control the parts of the other? Would installing them both cause one or the other (or both) to not work? Is it laziness? Perhaps. But we're talking about mods for a game. Something that I do to enjoy myself. Time spent reading every detail of a mod's forum posts or readme file is time I'm not enjoying the game (or the mod). Some mods forum threads run to many hundreds of pages. How much time should a player spend reading through them in order to find every report of an incompatibility with some other mod they want to use? If I tried to read every forum post for the mods I use, I wouldn't have any time left to actually play KSP.

Most mod authors do actually want people to use their mod. That's generally why they share them. The purpose of CKAN is to make using mods simpler and less frustrating. Now, some mods are easy to install and have few interactions with other parts of the system. Some, like say Renaissance Compilation or Astronomer's Pack, make use of facilities and plugins provided by other mod authors. Installing such a collection of mods in the wrong order can leave you with an unusable game.

I've got no problem with people who choose not to use CKAN. That's fine, you can chase up all the details on your own if you want to. But for me, mods were a nightmare until I found CKAN, and they've been great ever since. For me, CKAN makes a modded game something I enjoy, while without it, I was tearing my hair out in frustration and throwing away complete game installs. So, like I said: for me, CKAN is indispensable.

Oh, and by the way, saying "this is not to be rude" and then calling someone lazy? Sorry, but that is rude.

Alright here is where I am going to chime in. For starters if the order that you put mods into KSP mattered then there would be a LOT bigger issues with making mods. ALL mods are written so that if they need something then they grab it at load if it is there, regardless of what 'order' the mods were added to the GameData folder.

Second, it doesn't take long to ask a Mod author or put a post asking for any incompatibilities or do a search in the thread. CKAN doesn't protect you from that as all it takes is some tiny code update in one mod to crash everything depending on it.

Third, mods in the legacy format were a nightmare. The new GameData format is quick and simple. I can install a mod in ten seconds with it and know that it is done correctly.

Well sorry, I didn't know how to word it any other way and on your ( How much time should a player spend reading ) people can't even read the post before and a page back ? really and a example of CKAN if you used KAX you know it needs the Firespitter plugin which you would get for you and then you load up KSP and it locks on load you goto KAX and post KAX is broke locks on load and just post before and the last to pages all about the samething really people READ alittle of the post on the page you are posting on and at maybe a page back would fix alot of peoples problems with out them having to post at all.

And on ( Most mod authors do actually want people to use their mod ), I would say your right but that doest give you the right to threaten them.

Edited by Mecripp2

I use over a hundred mods, and for me the problem isn't so much incompatibilities, but simply keeping track of what versions I have installed, and whether there have been updates to any of them. This is one of a couple mods I use that doesn't support either CKAN or KSP-AVC, and for those I've just given up on updating them.

I use over a hundred mods, and for me the problem isn't so much incompatibilities, but simply keeping track of what versions I have installed, and whether there have been updates to any of them. This is one of a couple mods I use that doesn't support either CKAN or KSP-AVC, and for those I've just given up on updating them.

Well I am sorry to hear that you feel that way.

I want to thank you for maintaining this Mod. It is one of my favorites!

My question is this (and I will also search back into the posts after adding this); I am still using KSP .90 until more mods become available for 1.0. Will the most recent version of HL work with KSP Beta?

Thank you again!

I want to thank you for maintaining this Mod. It is one of my favorites!

My question is this (and I will also search back into the posts after adding this); I am still using KSP .90 until more mods become available for 1.0. Will the most recent version of HL work with KSP Beta?

Thank you again!

I am actually not sure on that one to be honest.

I have DDS Loader... not sure why, other than it may have come with another Mod.

When I try to use the current HL build with .90 everything seems to be stable with the singular exception that the envelopes fail to inflate and the ridged envelopes develop no lift no matter where settings are on the HL HUD.

Not blaming the coders, as I am trying to do a non-standard thing. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and go with KSP 1, regardless of the fact that they forced everyone to play with FAR installed, basically.

At least you can turn deadly re-entry off. I think. :P

I have DDS Loader... not sure why, other than it may have come with another Mod.

When I try to use the current HL build with .90 everything seems to be stable with the singular exception that the envelopes fail to inflate and the ridged envelopes develop no lift no matter where settings are on the HL HUD.

Not blaming the coders, as I am trying to do a non-standard thing. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and go with KSP 1, regardless of the fact that they forced everyone to play with FAR installed, basically.

At least you can turn deadly re-entry off. I think. :P

You can and also you can turn down the aero effects to an extent to get back to something like the old aero.

... of course, if someone wanted to take a shot at getting this to work with .90 in any existing putter time, I would offer funds for a few mochas. >.> I've discovered I like a number of mods which haven't been updated for 1.0 yet and don't appear to be in line to be. A jump drive system, volumetric clouds and so on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.