[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

I was browsing through the preceding pages of this thread, familiarizing myself with the issues and requests that have come up from time to time, and i came across a request for an orbiter style balloon with lift control. As the  idea appealed I did creative musing and arrived at this. ( if there is any interest I'll happily share)

Basically the balloon and the basket you see beneath the pod, the basket is XL 3.75 ish mtrs so most pods and cans will fit inside comfortably. When used with the Airpark (see note) feature in enables science platforms to be left on station, and allows plenty of room for you scientific kerbals to wander around. In the cfg in the pictures with three inventory stuffed kerbals on board, the balloon achieves around 7000mtrs before running out of lift

As a side development I'm working on a KIS driven EVA parachute system, YAY,  tests with cloned parts worked well, but I have never made a parachute so I'll do that before throwing out to the masses, as it's driven by KIS it's pretty much trouble free, and if you are familiar you will find the chutes easy to use.

6p7JNzd.pngcBBA4B8.pngSJ1G7hc.pngpdGP4C6.png

16Xic2t.png1LcvT4q.pngOEwzvjG.png

Note The airpark does some unexpected things, the oddest being that, I made sure the lip of the basket was no higher than the Kerbs could scramble over, and on the ground it works fine, BUT when airparked the option for an eva kerbal goes missing, this means you need some laddery things to climb out at present, if it goes any further than musing I'll put a couple of doors in the basket(animated of course)...  Other things to note is that Kerbals cannot walk on a craft that is flying, so i've been getting a couple out on the ladder , flicking back to pilot view and setting airpark, then kerbs can wander and use all the science gear you can cram on, not found any issues in using externally mounted equipment on Airparked balloons, which is very neat.

Finally got a chance to mess around with the new envelopes a bit (though I haven't messed with the airpark yet).

These envelopes are perfect! This almost exactly what I had in mind. Got some easy prints going today too, so I should be able to start work on my bigboy industrial airship at some point today.

During the build I am gonna mess with the airpark feature and see if a Joolian mining platform is even feesable.

Just now, JewelShisen said:

Dunclaw built it into the code for HooliganLabs

Nice! Been wanting something like this for over a year now, that's awesome to hear it's in the mod now.

On 5/12/2016 at 0:18 AM, JewelShisen said:

That's right! The editor now as a Hooligan Labs tab that will tell you if your airship can get off the ground on each of the five planets/moons that have an atmosphere! No more building a titan of ship when you only need a small one.

I love that feature!:D
Would it be possible to only display this information for the planets from which you have retrieved full or partial atmospheric/pressure data?:)

@SpannerMonkey(smce)

The new parts looks stunning! And thanks for the work on KIS parachutes, that has been a longtime wish.

Edited by Artfact

2 minutes ago, Artfact said:

I love that feature!:D
Would it be possible to only display this information for the planets from which you have retrieved full or partial atmospheric/pressure data?:)

@SpannerMonkey(smce)

The new parts looks stunning! And thanks for the work on KIS parachutes, that has been a longtime wish.

I don't know if that would be possible but if it was then it would end up being made into a separate version as a 'hard mode' version.

Hi all still got a few things cooking, the high altitude balloon is a win as far as i'm concerned, and having having a word with the nice chaps at tweakscale we have a custom scale exponent, meaning that as it gets bigger the lift increases proportionately. What this means is you can over size it a bit and do some serious high altitude attempts, well in excess of 20km so far.  

As for other stuff, didn't really like the first pod, it's ok a a two man thing but meh, it wasn't very airshipy, so I made a much nicer one, and I'm very happy with it's appearance, it even survived my average texturing skills to come out looking fine, the internal i think is a little too cool.  and finally a dedicated fuel section for the zepkit, only 2mtrs deep but 5mtrs across means it holds a lot of fuel i a small area of the craft, which has it's up's and downs, and as a precaution load them lightly to start and see how it works in your design.

Also had a chance to test the rigid hull parts and ships build of them alongside FAR and without a doubt they handle so much nicer, no longer is it like trying to turn through custard, so no worries there (unlike certain other projects)

Spoiler

nnhwG5a.pngHHHySzn.pngSOOSbo0.pnglUuRZa5.png

Gonna take me forever to get em done...as all I do now-a-days is work...

BUT

I am gonna be making some adapter plates to go along with the 15m modular envelope system. These will be thin 15m around structural plates with smaller mounting plates hung under that. 

These will make it mindlessly easy to create that classic hanging gondola airship look when building any craft.

Current plans are 3 adapters, the standard being a 2.5m mount built for standard part or the Karibou rover. Will be a plate for the Malemute rover, and one for the K&K planetary base system parts. 

Despite being rather simple parts I'm bad a t textures, way out of practice, and as mentioned before, I work ALOT....so don't hold you'r breath for em =P

1 hour ago, stk2008 said:

Hi khaosCorp

I am looking at modding for KSP :)

I do 3d modeling and textureing would you like me to have a go at textureing for you?

Thanks

If you wanna take a go at em sure. I was just planning on butchering some stock textures onto em lol....

I will message ya once I got something going, but probably won't even start em till sometime tomorrow. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.