[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

Would these balloons be enough to lift a significant amount of weight off Eve? Could they provide the vertical lift necessary for achieving orbit while engines provide the horizontal speed?

Hi, difficult to say, as circumstances vary  but the HL build aid will tell you in the SPH what the craft is capable of. As for achieving orbit, that's not happening, the system will reduce the lift as the craft climbs higher, so your upward momentum will bleed off ,and the heavier the craft the less you can ultimately lift to a set altitude  Even the Kerbling Orbiter which i built for high altitude can't get anywhere close to orbit, and on max lift it climbs like a missile.

That said, I can get a simple probe sized balloon to lift ~5 tons up to around 25km AP on Kerbin. I only used it for an early airship, but it gets you past the big majority of drag losses, and I could imagine a rocket being underslung on such a device so that it can launch from altitude rather than sea level. On Eve, that's going to be a major advantage :) 

(My airship went supersonic on the climb... I'm not 100% sure that's even possible :))

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Takamiki said:

so first time i am trying this mod, but when using the Airship Gondola 5mtr i can't seem to EVA any of the 4 crew in it, any way how or reason why?

Not a clue it was all working yesterday , I shall check the download Are you getting any screen messages at all, as you should if there is a hatch or other access problem?

A short time later, ok, there seems to be an issue with the hatch collider, i can EVA fine and mouse select is fine, but am not seeing a board toggle, either i messed up or the slope of the cabin is for some reason blocking the activation, there were no issues that i'm aware of with it in 1.1.3 so it's a 1.2 thing, just checking the unity stuff and will push the fix ASAP

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

39 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Not a clue it was all working yesterday , I shall check the download Are you getting any screen messages at all, as you should if there is a hatch or other access problem?

A short time later, ok, there seems to be an issue with the hatch collider, i can EVA fine and mouse select is fine, but am not seeing a board toggle, either i messed up or the slope of the cabin is for some reason blocking the activation, there were no issues that i'm aware of with it in 1.1.3 so it's a 1.2 thing, just checking the unity stuff and will push the fix ASAP

all i know is that when using it there is no crew portrait at the corner it is suppose to be and without that idk how else i will get them to EVA out of it 

Edit i wonder is this mod incompatible with the mod Portrait Stats? only thing i can think of that is making me unable to see them when using your mod

Edited by Takamiki

25 minutes ago, Takamiki said:

all i know is that when using it there is no crew portrait at the corner it is suppose to be and without that idk how else i will get them to EVA out of it 

Edit i wonder is this mod incompatible with the mod Portrait Stats? only thing i can think of that is making me unable to see them when using your mod

I can see no reason why the portrait stats would mess it up, it would be difficult as the spaces folder which contains the internals for both airship pods is also missing from the download, very odd?  There was a hatch issue , apparently the hatch wont work if it's contacting the ground, and the slope was causing an issue so I've re positioned the hatches for easier access.  All zipped up and pushed up the line, Hopefully @JewelShisen or @dunclaw can get it on the releases asap(practical)  As for exiting the pod, if you click around the marked door area the gui for eva will show.

9zAbO84.png

U56VnZC.png

i forgot you can eva by clicking the hatch (been a while since i repicked up KSP) also i tried the other smaller cabin and while i can EVA through that way i can't get back in (won't let me board it) so might be a good idea to check all the cabins to see if 1.2 broke them too?

32 minutes ago, Takamiki said:

i forgot you can eva by clicking the hatch (been a while since i repicked up KSP) also i tried the other smaller cabin and while i can EVA through that way i can't get back in (won't let me board it) so might be a good idea to check all the cabins to see if 1.2 broke them too?

NP cheers

Again a short while later,  I cant find anything amiss with the second pod, all triggers and colliders function as they should, but them they usually do for me, lols. anyway, regardless as that little pod is so yukky i added some new hatches to the sides so that the door positions are much clearer. I'm going to bash around with the rest of the mod and see if everything is totally cool, and will likely push the revised pod tomorrow.  I'll likely make something else to replace that pod,  once the list of mods that i have yet to release shrinks, I've never really liked it

16 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Again a short while later,  I cant find anything amiss with the second pod, all triggers and colliders function as they should, but them they usually do for me, lols. anyway, regardless as that little pod is so yukky i added some new hatches to the sides so that the door positions are much clearer. I'm going to bash around with the rest of the mod and see if everything is totally cool, and will likely push the revised pod tomorrow.  I'll likely make something else to replace that pod,  once the list of mods that i have yet to release shrinks, I've never really liked it

think my main problem with that 2nd pod is that it wasn't completely on the ground (had wheels on it just in case) so it was a little elevated and my Kerbals just couldn't reach the door and no way to grab onto it(didn't put any ladders didn't think i need it)

Some suggestions for parts, should an art pass ever be under consideration:

Making gondola parts that are compatible with the mk2 form factor, I personally would use the in-line Mk2 cockpit and crew cabin in the mean time, just inverted.

Making deployable airship components that can be stowed within a mk3 cargo bay, with a 2.5m formfactor rocket as per the NASA concept for a Venus airship:  

15 minutes ago, Gryphorim said:

Some suggestions for parts, should an art pass ever be under consideration:

Hi, i wonder how many times that picture has been posted in a HLA thread, certainly that makes 4 times that i know of.

While the HLA balloons can be inflatable, and transportable in containers, experience has shown that it's a little unpredictable, mind you now the code is much tidier, it may work properly these days, i know it's ok ish on tiny balloons, not tried it on anything large. The only other issue i can see ids that unless you fully assemble an airship and check it with the build aid, you could easily turn up somewhere and find you don't have enough lift to do what you wanted, of course experience will help.  As for all the all the rest there are no mk2 sized Airships so why build parts for them? 

I have to say that for the next few weeks i couldn't do more than think about it, but when it's all finally back to normal with a trustworthy version of KSP then i may do some more parts. However should an enthusiastic and under employed modeller fancy doing some parts I'm sure JS would be quite happy to put them in, but then with HLA in no danger of disappearing there's nothing stopping anybody from making their own HLA mod just using the plugin

1 minute ago, CaptKordite said:

it doesn't show me the GUI. 

Hi, thanks for your very vague report, as the gui shows properly  for me, and there have been no other reports (that I'm aware of ) ,  please read the post below regarding the information usually required in order to diagnose your issue.

Cheers

Just a question besides the classic HL parts are the other parts being tested or something? Im the snap nodes on them to be rotated wrong, missing textures ect. Was at fist tempted to make my own fixes but checking to see if they are already planned. Not that it has stopped me from still experimenting lol. https://www.dropbox.com/s/p22sbbiwcx14i1c/screenshot0.png?dl=0

2 minutes ago, DigitalProeliator said:

Just a question besides the classic HL parts are the other parts being tested or something?

Him if you're referring to plain grey parts the answer is yes they are a part development by JS, and i believe very wip., If the problem extends further than a small selection of i believe 5 parts then please supply some reference images or logs, cheers

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Him if you're referring to plain grey parts the answer is yes they are a part development by JS, and i believe very wip., If the problem extends further than a small selection of i believe 5 parts then please supply some reference images or logs, cheers

No problem. For now Ill just delete the untextured ones, but the two LedZeplin sets have issues with their node orientation. They seem to be rotated 90 degrees forward for the most part and the engine mount has one node at 180 the wrong direction. I snapped a lander pod to some of the nodes to show how they are at the wrong orientation. Here is a screenshot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyt2zmmqbzmcor4/screenshot1.png?dl=0

The thing in that image is that those rocket parts are meant to attach via the top node and vertical, if you do that with a rocket pod on something built in the SPH then the nav ball will be 90deg out as the IVA is set for vertical mounting, if however you attached it as you show the nav ball will be correct.  Rocket parts are always  arranged to attach vertically in the VAB and horizontally in the SPH    And after running a quick check  i will  as in the image below, say that if you connected the pod to a proper facing node which is the orientation the game expects btw , in this pos once again the nav ball will be correct. 

I don't know what engines you attach as there are no node attached radial engines i can find,  the nodes arrived in dev and never left, due to the aforementioned mounting of engines it's always better to srf attach a pair anyway.  That mount if we are ref'lng the one shown in the image is actually a very poor way to mount the engines anyway, as a pair they are too close together which is terrible for stability  and gives the engines no leverage over the hull and contributes to slow and vague steering, i always use a pair of  pylons or wing panels myself anything else just doesn't cut it for me. All that mount is used for these days is science equip and depending on usage landing gear

NKLvmha.png

35 minutes ago, DigitalProeliator said:

but the two LedZeplin sets have issues with their node orientation.

On 10/17/2016 at 7:28 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, i wonder how many times that picture has been posted in a HLA thread, certainly that makes 4 times that i know of.

While the HLA balloons can be inflatable, and transportable in containers, experience has shown that it's a little unpredictable, mind you now the code is much tidier, it may work properly these days, i know it's ok ish on tiny balloons, not tried it on anything large. The only other issue i can see ids that unless you fully assemble an airship and check it with the build aid, you could easily turn up somewhere and find you don't have enough lift to do what you wanted, of course experience will help.  As for all the all the rest there are no mk2 sized Airships so why build parts for them? 

I have to say that for the next few weeks i couldn't do more than think about it, but when it's all finally back to normal with a trustworthy version of KSP then i may do some more parts. However should an enthusiastic and under employed modeller fancy doing some parts I'm sure JS would be quite happy to put them in, but then with HLA in no danger of disappearing there's nothing stopping anybody from making their own HLA mod just using the plugin

Actually, I've been thinking of making an airship for my career game. I've played around with buoyancy calculations in KSP and it's pretty interesting, but I'm glad to see HL is KSP 1.2 compatible. Anyway, I want to make 7.5m or possibly 10m dirigible parts to go explore Kerbin with. No promises, but you might see parts from Heisenberg Airships (a former industrial chemicals company now making airships. Motto: "We're not 100% certain these will meet your aerostatic lift needs, but we're pretty certain.") for HL in the future. :)

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, I've been thinking of making an airship for my career game. I've played around with buoyancy calculations in KSP and it's pretty interesting, but I'm glad to see HL is KSP 1.2 compatible. Anyway, I want to make 7.5m or possibly 10m dirigible parts to go explore Kerbin with. No promises, but you might see parts from Heisenberg Airships (a former industrial chemicals company now making airships. Motto: "We're not 100% certain these will meet your aerostatic lift needs, but we're pretty certain.") for HL in the future. :)

That would be great i know that there's call for more variety and with the hangar mod , it will be possible with larger Airships to transport base components, rovers and other craft all over without problems. Quite looking forward to what you come up with :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.