[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

• 3 weeks later...

Help. I've been trying to make an airship and the back ALWAYS rapidly accelerates causing the airship to turn 85 degrees. I assume its a weight problem so I turn on auto pitch which does nothing but keep it 5 degrees from 90. Could you fix auto pitch or help me find a way to fix this?

4 hours ago, Achemar said:

Help. I've been trying to make an airship and the back ALWAYS rapidly accelerates causing the airship to turn 85 degrees. I assume its a weight problem so I turn on auto pitch which does nothing but keep it 5 degrees from 90. Could you fix auto pitch or help me find a way to fix this?

Auto pitch can only do so much to level out a ship. The rest is just tweaking part placement and mass distribution.

4 hours ago, JewelShisen said:

Auto pitch can only do so much to level out a ship. The rest is just tweaking part placement and mass distribution.

Perhaps tweaking auto pitch so it can do more? I know this was not a problem with real airships. 

4 hours ago, Achemar said:

Perhaps tweaking auto pitch so it can do more? I know this was not a problem with real airships. 

Yes, because real airships had hundreds of hours of testing and planning to make sure they needed as little adjustment in flight as possible.

So no, this mod and game encourage and borderline require some willingness to adjust and tweak designs. If it is doing something you do not like then learn why and adjust your design.

Hey man gotta say I love this mod, mainly downloaded it because i needed it for the HSB airship parts. I like how you have low tech starting blimp cabins but are the interiors modeled? I dont see any crew portraits when im in these 2 cabins. but the cabins for HSB seem to work just fine. Every command module works fine i just cant see my portraits in yours? I can still EVA by clicking on the hatch but i can not re board after I EVA so its kind of useless.

Here is my mod list:

KAX

KIN

KAS

KERBINSIDE

KERBIN SIDE GAP

HSB AIRSHIPS

HL AIRSHIPS

CONTRACT CONFIGURE

AIRPLANES PLUS

KERBAL KONSTRUCTS

FIRESPITTER

WILDBLUEINDUSTRIES (pretty sure your mod or the bison rover I downloaded depends on this)

Hope you can help me out id love to make some low tech airships!

14 hours ago, Controllerless said:

Hey man gotta say I love this mod, mainly downloaded it because i needed it for the HSB airship parts. I like how you have low tech starting blimp cabins but are the interiors modeled? I dont see any crew portraits when im in these 2 cabins. but the cabins for HSB seem to work just fine. Every command module works fine i just cant see my portraits in yours? I can still EVA by clicking on the hatch but i can not re board after I EVA so its kind of useless.

Here is my mod list:

KAX

KIN

KAS

KERBINSIDE

KERBIN SIDE GAP

HSB AIRSHIPS

HL AIRSHIPS

CONTRACT CONFIGURE

AIRPLANES PLUS

KERBAL KONSTRUCTS

FIRESPITTER

WILDBLUEINDUSTRIES (pretty sure your mod or the bison rover I downloaded depends on this)

Hope you can help me out id love to make some low tech airships!

Actually HL has nothing it depends on but the lack of internals is not a mod conflict but due to those parts being unfinished for now.

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

dose this work with 1.4?

I just copied my folder from 1.3.0 into 1.4.1 and it works so far with the exception of the icon being blank. Your mileage may vary.

This makes me very happy because I never could get the hang of airplanes.

hey so to whom it may concern despite claiming to be under All Rights Reserved, according to the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20150310123427/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com:80/threads/53961-0-23-5-HL-Mods-on-Curse it is actually (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) as you cant walk back on a CC licence, now im no lawyer but that seems to me that were one to prefer this mod to be on ckan, JewelShisen woundnt have any ground to stop you? just a thought.

Edited by weq15000
corrected mode to mod

10 hours ago, weq15000 said:

hey so to whom it may concern despite claiming to be under All Rights Reserved, according to the wayback machine https://web.archive.org/web/20150310123427/http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com:80/threads/53961-0-23-5-HL-Mods-on-Curse it is actually (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) as you cant walk back on a CC licence, now im no lawyer but that seems to me that were one to prefer this mod to be on ckan, JewelShisen woundnt have any ground to stop you? just a thought.

That version can be put up yes. 

13 hours ago, weq15000 said:

Well, I'm not a lawyer either.  But I'd advice being very careful thinking that a version released under a CC licence would be considered still licenced that way.  The GPL, because of the details of its language, I'd be more confident of.  I'm not sure CC licences are sticky for derived work.

However, there's also the technical side of the matter.  That mod's KSP version is "0.25 and partial 0.90".  So munch has changed for both code and graphical features since then I don't know how much help it would be working from that version as opposed to starting from scratch.

Edited by Jacke

Not sure what's going on with this license thing, but it is weird. I actually had my original mod taken down years ago because I didn't want to put any restrictions on it at all. Eventually we agreed to put the MIT license on it which is super permissive.

I take it Curse has some additional license on it? Well, as the original author, I hope this remains very easy for all to access. :D

The balloon models haven't changed at all since the last MIT-licensed version, so it's fine to use them under that license, but the code base has changed considerably.  We'd have to get @dunclaw's OK to put the code back into an open license (I'd advice GPL v3 for reasons explained in the long-winded post linked in my signature), or else 'roll back' to the older code from the last MIT-licensed version and lose his improvements (e.g. switching between stock and blizzy's toolbar, improved stabilization).

5 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

The balloon models haven't changed at all since the last MIT-licensed version, so it's fine to use them under that license, but the code base has changed considerably.  We'd have to get @dunclaw's OK to put the code back into an open license (I'd advice GPL v3 for reasons explained in the long-winded post linked in my signature), or else 'roll back' to the older code from the last MIT-licensed version and lose his improvements (e.g. switching between stock and blizzy's toolbar, improved stabilization).

Ok all I can say at this point is just wow... Is installing a mod REALLY so difficult that people need a "tool" to do it for them? Seriously!? Darn it... Fine! I will add it to CKAN but I will provide ZERO support about install issues related to use of ckan!

35 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Ok all I can say at this point is just wow... Is installing a mod REALLY so difficult that people need a "tool" to do it for them? Seriously!? Darn it... Fine! I will add it to CKAN but I will provide ZERO support about install issues related to use of ckan!

Mod installation can be that difficult in its many details.  And even the simplest modding system can be complex when it grows to over 100 mods (as is common in KSP).  At some point, a tool is needed to make this work without a lot of mistakes and too much time tinkering instead of using.

For example, Debian Linux OS packages use two layers of interacting tools (dpkg and apt/aptitude).  As well, their developers follow the Debian Policy Manual, which specifies a lot of detail learned necessary through many years of painful experience.  Cf. details like 'config files', 'alternatives', and 'diversions', the last two due to needing to support overlapping files between packages.  Steam Workshop provides a modding system but it's limited and for heavy modding needs extra support, example XCOM 2's Alternate Mod Launcher.   Then there's CPAN and its KSP version CKAN that do the same thing with less detail rigor and depend on mods being clearly separated and specifying enough details to handle automatic install, removal, and dependencies.

For KSP, I get by with manual installation but I use the tool JSGME to assist.  Without that, I'd likely restore to CKAN just to keep things manageable.  I may eventually switch to CKAN.

Edited by Jacke

• 1 month later...

Hi, just a quick couple of questions,

does this mod work in all atmospheres? (for example Eve, Laythe, Jool?)

can I leave a vessel in the air to float  while I'm doing something else (eg high altitude bases)?

Thanks

1 hour ago, bunjatec said:

does this mod work in all atmospheres? (for example Eve, Laythe, Jool?)

Yes! I tested it only with Heisenberg, but I don't see a reason it would not work fine with Hooligan's parts too.

1 hour ago, bunjatec said:

can I leave a vessel in the air to float  while I'm doing something else (eg high altitude bases)?

No. You will need Air Park or equivalent. Without this, you need to land it in ground or water.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.