[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

Hooligan Labs Airships

HL AIRSHIPS RISES FROM HER GRAVE!!!

Brought back from the dead by the amazing @dunclaw and @SpannerMonkey(smce) for 1.1.2. I honestly can't thank them enough for bringing her back to life for me and everybody else that loved this mod so much!

Updated to 1.9.1 by the WONDERFUL @Angel-125

Code now updated to KSP 1.12.3 by @Lisias

Download:

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/3040/HL Airships Core

Source: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/HLAirshipsCore/releases

HL Airships adds several airship parts to the game, allowing you to build and design absurd flying contraptions that would make Willy Wonka proud.

Edited by JewelShisen
Updated to V 7.0.1.0 and KSP 1.12.3

I'd been using the dodecahedron balloon as a lifter for atmospheric probes in previous versions. It never seemed to fly high enough, though, and without wind it never went far from the KSC. A weather balloon would be a nice addition for this purpose. Looking forward to your improvements.

What exactly would the drone blimp be?

The drone blimp will be a small item that can be mounted onto the side of a craft and detach itself. Once done it will be fully controllable without need for more parts, will have a built in solar panel on the top, and built in propulsion.

I'd been using the dodecahedron balloon as a lifter for atmospheric probes in previous versions. It never seemed to fly high enough, though, and without wind it never went far from the KSC. A weather balloon would be a nice addition for this purpose. Looking forward to your improvements.

Not sure I will be able to do the wind bit but I will be aiming for it to lift about double what the Dodec could to around 50km.

While new stuff is being added, may I suggest more parts with the realistic lift and bigger model. Additionally, if we could get something like a more powerful version of the air thrusters from B9, possibly textured like a propeller of some kind. That would be so awesome.

The drone blimp will be a small item that can be mounted onto the side of a craft and detach itself. Once done it will be fully controllable without need for more parts, will have a built in solar panel on the top, and built in propulsion.

You did take my suggestion!

Finally uploaded the Airship and SQUID Mods onto SpacePort.

Squid landing gear are in the Adv Landing with the Ray class Inflatable parachute while the Squid structural panels are in with the normal ones.

Next mod to get the Tech Tree treatment will be the Subs!

Just wondering, what happened to the original creator? It has been a long time since I have checked on Hooligan Labs, so I cant remember his username.

Hooligan has chosen to take a break from modding and has allowed me to take up the torch and keep his mods going.

Could you try to increase the drag of airships when deployed? I regularly exceed mach 1 on ascent with fully deployed envelopes and a small payload.

The reason this hasn't been done earlier is, according to HooliganLabs, that drag doesn't work very well in KSP right now. For example, it is AFAIK impossible to have different drag values between open and closed balloons. Increasing the drag would mean that whenever you tried to launch an airship on a rocket (to another planet, ofc) the rocket would start tumbling almost immediately, as if you deploy a parachute during launch.

Is anyone else finding that the Ludo blimp produces very little lift? All I've got on it is a pod and a goo container, but I can't get off the pad.

Alternatively, are there known issues between blimps and FAR?

I have never seen this issue before. Also as far as I know there are no issues with FAR and HL Airships.

Could you try to increase the drag of airships when deployed? I regularly exceed mach 1 on ascent with fully deployed envelopes and a small payload.

Adding to what wasmic said it would also require changes to the plugin that at the moment I am not skilled enough to do. However the balloons have a lift speed control built into them. If you turn on the altitude control you can set an exact speed for it to ascend at.

Is anyone else finding that the Ludo blimp produces very little lift? All I've got on it is a pod and a goo container, but I can't get off the pad.

Alternatively, are there known issues between blimps and FAR?

That's a problem I posted month ago in the old thread already. The config of the Ludo blimp seems to contain the following mistake:

// the (effective) volume of the blimp - affects the lifting capacity
envelopeVolume = 24

The Volume is WAY too low. It should be something like 600 to 1000, comparing the size of the Blimp to the other envelopes.

That's a problem I posted month ago in the old thread already. The config of the Ludo blimp seems to contain the following mistake:

// the (effective) volume of the blimp - affects the lifting capacity
envelopeVolume = 24

The Volume is WAY too low. It should be something like 600 to 1000, comparing the size of the Blimp to the other envelopes.

Huh. In that case I will have to take a look at that and see.

Huh. In that case I will have to take a look at that and see.
What he brought up would certainly explain the issue. I've unlocked the Ray since then and encountered no problems with getting airborne.
The reason this hasn't been done earlier is, according to HooliganLabs, that drag doesn't work very well in KSP right now. For example, it is AFAIK impossible to have different drag values between open and closed balloons. Increasing the drag would mean that whenever you tried to launch an airship on a rocket (to another planet, ofc) the rocket would start tumbling almost immediately, as if you deploy a parachute during launch.
Your point about launching standard envelopes makes sense to me, but it should be entirely possible to have varying drag on a part depending on whether it's open. Both Firespitter and B9 have airbrake parts that function on this principle.

What he brought up would certainly explain the issue. I've unlocked the Ray since then and encountered no problems with getting airborne.

Your point about launching standard envelopes makes sense to me, but it should be entirely possible to have varying drag on a part depending on whether it's open. Both Firespitter and B9 have airbrake parts that function on this principle.

Ok i looked and there is a second drag setting for it deployed. But it only changes at full deploy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.