[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

The thing in that image is that those rocket parts are meant to attach via the top node and vertical, if you do that with a rocket pod on something built in the SPH then the nav ball will be 90deg out as the IVA is set for vertical mounting, if however you attached it as you show the nav ball will be correct.  Rocket parts are always  arranged to attach vertically in the VAB and horizontally in the SPH    And after running a quick check  i will  as in the image below, say that if you connected the pod to a proper facing node which is the orientation the game expects btw , in this pos once again the nav ball will be correct. 

I don't know what engines you attach as there are no node attached radial engines i can find,  the nodes arrived in dev and never left, due to the aforementioned mounting of engines it's always better to srf attach a pair anyway.  That mount if we are ref'lng the one shown in the image is actually a very poor way to mount the engines anyway, as a pair they are too close together which is terrible for stability  and gives the engines no leverage over the hull and contributes to slow and vague steering, i always use a pair of  pylons or wing panels myself anything else just doesn't cut it for me. All that mount is used for these days is science equip and depending on usage landing gear

Ahh I think we are talking about different two different type of nodes. The nodes that control the x position for construction like that of rockets are just fine. I was referring to z axis of radial attachment points for things radiating outward from the center of the object, like with the Rockomax Multi-Point Connector.

For example this set of nodes on the Rigid Airship:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 11.92514, 2.827256, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom1 = 0.0, 10.01278, 2.872289, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, 7.962436, 2.892388, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom3 = 0.0, -4.339229, 2.892388, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom4 = 0.0, -6.628035, 2.795384, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom5 = 0.0, -9.030777, 2.650359, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom6 = 0.0, -11.23523, 2.518644, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 2

It will let you dangle things from the bottom in a realistic manor, and not clip, as in this screenshot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarv1q7tni2htxd/screenshot4.png?dl=0 As you can see Im already changing them for my own use lol. Wanting me to send you a link with them when I am done?

Edited by DigitalProeliator

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually, I've been thinking of making an airship for my career game. I've played around with buoyancy calculations in KSP and it's pretty interesting, but I'm glad to see HL is KSP 1.2 compatible. Anyway, I want to make 7.5m or possibly 10m dirigible parts to go explore Kerbin with. No promises, but you might see parts from Heisenberg Airships (a former industrial chemicals company now making airships. Motto: "We're not 100% certain these will meet your aerostatic lift needs, but we're pretty certain.") for HL in the future. :)

I actually made a set of 15m parts that it would seem need me to test and adjust the nodes on them.

On 10/18/2016 at 7:26 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

thanks for your very vague report

Sorry about that. I work tech support so I should know better. I am a bad customer. :blush:

The issue was that the GUI did not appear in game play. No icon among all the others on the right and selecting a part, right clicking, and selecting Toggle GUI did nothing. So, I deleted all my mods from the folder and started readding them one by one. Turns out, Contract Configurator is the culprit. Without it, the GUI is fine. With it, nothing. He had a pre-release version but hasn't worked out a full 1.2 version yet so I'll just have to wait for that to see if that clears things up before taking the next troubleshooting steps

Making progress, got the large, medium, and small dirigible sections done, and just (nearly) finished the gyro ring:

xmF3BGb.png

By default, the fuel tank (4500 unit capacity), starts half-full. That way you can use it to pump fuel between gyro rings for use as ballast. I don't know if HL has an in-flight COM/COL indicator, but if not I plan to add one in the plugin I'm working on. :)

Edited by Angel-125

35 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Making progress, got the large, medium, and small dirigible sections done, and just (nearly) finished the gyro ring

These parts look absolutely amazing! It's awesome of you to make them.

On 10/19/2016 at 10:59 PM, Angel-125 said:

HhUuu4m.png

:0.0: Pardon me a moment. I need to change my trousers.

That is some proper gorgeous work, sir. Of course I adore every part of this mod and all due credit and tipping of hats to JewelShisen and Spannermonkey, but this... This is taking things to a new level. I for one am itching to get my grubby mits on this. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

On 10/20/2016 at 7:14 PM, Angel-125 said:

Making progress...

Keep it up, will def feature this in use by the KSA, as my kerbal's main source of transportation is airship. Already featured some of HL's models:

Delivery DayAtmospheric Science, Away!

Ready to Go

Oh hey look at that - forum embeds flickr links. Cool

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 21/10/2016 at 0:14 AM, Angel-125 said:

Making progress, got the large, medium, and small dirigible sections done, and just (nearly) finished the gyro ring:

xmF3BGb.png

By default, the fuel tank (4500 unit capacity), starts half-full. That way you can use it to pump fuel between gyro rings for use as ballast. I don't know if HL has an in-flight COM/COL indicator, but if not I plan to add one in the plugin I'm working on. :)

HL uses an autopitch facility, which I've abused quite extensively and it seems to hold up under even totally noobish ballast/trim configurations, lift being balanced across all envelopes as required

2 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HL uses an autopitch facility, which I've abused quite extensively and it seems to hold up under even totally noobish ballast/trim configurations, lift being balanced across all envelopes as required

Indeed! I even use it for keeping my airships level at speed which is another major issue...

11 hours ago, JewelShisen said:

Indeed! I even use it for keeping my airships level at speed which is another major issue...

Just a tip for this try using the RCS balancer to keep the center of thrust close to center of mass with low torque. Its useful for more than just RCS and is much more useful than the stock tools.

On 19/10/2016 at 2:33 AM, DigitalProeliator said:

Ahh I think we are talking about different two different type of nodes. The nodes that control the x position for construction like that of rockets are just fine. I was referring to z axis of radial attachment points for things radiating outward from the center of the object, like with the Rockomax Multi-Point Connector.

For example this set of nodes on the Rigid Airship:

It will let you dangle things from the bottom in a realistic manor, and not clip, as in this screenshot. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xarv1q7tni2htxd/screenshot4.png?dl=0 As you can see Im already changing them for my own use lol. Wanting me to send you a link with them when I am done?

Hi sorry i never replied, i totally get where you're coming from and it makes perfect sense.  Not my way, but hey be glad I'm not the majority, so I'll tweak them if that's the way they are used.  Cheers

18 hours ago, oniontrain said:

I can't get the UI to come up in flight, and I don't see a button for it. Everything's working otherwise, is there a setting somewhere I need to change?

Don't you have Contracts Configurator installed? I've encountered the same symptoms and, I'm afraid, the reason is a conflict between this two mods.

Just ran into a situation I did not expect. First off Im not sure where the fault lies here. Could be with the parts in the mod either in that they can be used in a rescue contract or there is no door in this particular part or the contract system for using a part in a rescue mission that doesnt have a hatch.

The situation is, if you havent guessed by now is that took on a rescue mission. Problem is that the Kerbal is inside a Led Zep 2R Rigid Airship and there is no hatch on this part. So the Kerbal cannot exit their ship and so they cannot possibly be rescued. As I see it, the contract system should not have used a part without a hatch. Could be though that this part was listed in some way that allowed it to be used in a rescue contract. I have no clue where the fault lies. Im not saying its anyone's fault so dont take my post as pointing fingers. Im just posting it here since it is a part from this mod. Maybe I should be posting this up as a bug. Wish I knew what to do. So basically I am just pointing this out and that it can happen. If anyone has an idea what I should do about this, please let me know. Without some sort of solution from someone, I think I probably have no choice but to remove this mod and hope it doesnt break my save because of the current situation.

So, if you have a solution to my dilemma please let me know how I can resolve this. Sure didnt expect this, I bet no one did. I actually considered crashing into to it hoping to destroy it and release the Kerbal inside. lol :) Its not my first choice though. I wonder what will happen if I remove the mod while a contract to rescue a Kerbal is in my list?

Edited by Kevin Kyle

3 hours ago, Shnyrik said:

Don't you have Contracts Configurator installed? I've encountered the same symptoms and, I'm afraid, the reason is a conflict between this two mods.

I do indeed. That's a weird conflict to have. I don't think it did that in 1.1.3

18 minutes ago, Kevin Kyle said:

Hi , i thought I'd removed the crew capacity from the actual envelope parts along time ago, it was a dev test thing,  this is a screw up on my part. apologies for the career difficulties  The contract system likely only checks for crew space, not if the part has a hatch.   There's nothing special in the cfg that determines if a part can be used or not used for contracts.

As a fix once launched i can't think of a single way to get your kerbal back out, he was never meant to be in there in the first place.  You could with KIS i suppose attach one of those EVA hatch mod parts , transfer the kerbal and then evacuate, that aside he's doomed.

I can stop it happening again by removing crewspace from all envelope parts but can't make the fix  work retroactively  I'd advise caution with removing a mod from an active career save especially if you've used parts elsewhere in you game it can leave traces in the persistence file that have been known to cause problems, and of course it will break any craft that have used parts from the mod. 

If you'd like to apply the prevention yourself find the "KSP\GameData\HLAirships\Parts\Aero\LedZep" folder and the LedZep.cfg and remove the following part, although it will not save your Kerb, it prevent further issues.

CrewCapacity = 4
	INTERNAL
	{
		name = MK3_Cockpit_Int
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 1
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceExperiment	

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report
		resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
		reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False	
		useActionGroups = True
		hideUIwhenUnavailable = True	
		rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0

usageReqMaskInternal = 5
		usageReqMaskExternal = -1
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 1.3
	}

I admit... I was skeptical at first when I saw this.... and then....  I had this vision.... A vision of a floating base in Jools atmosphere.......   Where ships can land and take off..... And I said: "This needs to be made, for all Kerbalkind!"

Many Kerbals will perish in this endeavor, but it must be done!

Also...Sky cranes of Kerbin.

Looks very interesting!  Going to go play in my sandbox with this now! :P  Thanks for the interesting mod!

1 hour ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi , i thought I'd removed the crew capacity from the actual envelope parts along time ago, it was a dev test thing,  this is a screw up on my part. apologies for the career difficulties  The contract system likely only checks for crew space, not if the part has a hatch.   There's nothing special in the cfg that determines if a part can be used or not used for contracts.

As a fix once launched i can't think of a single way to get your kerbal back out, he was never meant to be in there in the first place.  You could with KIS i suppose attach one of those EVA hatch mod parts , transfer the kerbal and then evacuate, that aside he's doomed.

I can stop it happening again by removing crewspace from all envelope parts but can't make the fix  work retroactively  I'd advise caution with removing a mod from an active career save especially if you've used parts elsewhere in you game it can leave traces in the persistence file that have been known to cause problems, and of course it will break any craft that have used parts from the mod. 

If you'd like to apply the prevention yourself find the "KSP\GameData\HLAirships\Parts\Aero\LedZep" folder and the LedZep.cfg and remove the following part, although it will not save your Kerb, it prevent further issues.

CrewCapacity = 4
	INTERNAL
	{
		name = MK3_Cockpit_Int
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleCommand
		minimumCrew = 1
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceExperiment	

experimentID = crewReport

experimentActionName = Crew Report
		resetActionName = Discard Crew Report
		reviewActionName = Review Report

useStaging = False	
		useActionGroups = True
		hideUIwhenUnavailable = True	
		rerunnable = True

xmitDataScalar = 1.0

usageReqMaskInternal = 5
		usageReqMaskExternal = -1
	}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 1.3
	}

Awesome, I will apply that fix as soon as I stop playing. I actually resolved the issue and saved the Kerbal. I sent a ship with a claw, clawed it and transferred the Kerbal to the ship and released the captured ship. So it all worked out anyway. I must have been in a panic moment when I wrote that post, all it really needed was Kerbal know how applied in the Kerbal way. lol Thanks for the response and the fix. I will just consider this a tester moment that will fix an issue for everyone! :)

Hi

Few things.

1st. Airship Mod conflicts with Contract configurator mod (fault seems to be at CC side since also VOID doesnt work with CC)

2.st the arship parts with octopus on them are broken. It is not possible to surface attach any other part to them, and they are not selectable (clickable ) once they are put in place.

3. The airship cargobay doesnt alow surface attach inside the cargobay wich renders the cargobay useless.  

6 hours ago, KOCOUR said:

Hi

Few things.

1st. Airship Mod conflicts with Contract configurator mod (fault seems to be at CC side since also VOID doesnt work with CC)

2.st the arship parts with octopus on them are broken. It is not possible to surface attach any other part to them, and they are not selectable (clickable ) once they are put in place.

3. The airship cargobay doesnt alow surface attach inside the cargobay wich renders the cargobay useless.  

1. If the fault is with CC then go tell them. We can't change that.

2. Those are legacy parts that I am slowly working on updating the meshes for, however I have not had that issue.

3. What cargo bay?

3 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

1. If the fault is with CC then go tell them. We can't change that.

2. Those are legacy parts that I am slowly working on updating the meshes for, however I have not had that issue.

3. What cargo bay?

1. I did.  Dont people here have right to be noticed?

2. Ok (note to self: dont use octopus parts)

3. The cargo bay. There is a Airship part with inbuild Cargobay, it has openable door, and it doesnt attach anything inside. i dont know if there is more airship parts with cargobay, i didnt unlock all tech yet.

Edited by KOCOUR

Just now, KOCOUR said:

1. I did.  Dont people here have right to be noticed?

2. Ok (note to self: dont use octopus parts)

3. The cargo bay. There is a Airship part with inbuild Cargobay, it has openable door, and it doesnt attach anything inside.

The deathstar and probe sized parts should be perfectly fine for use.

As for a cargo bay part, at the very least it is not one of mine so that would be a question for Spanner.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.