[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly do I install the mod, do I just put the whole folder in gamedata. Do I add each Item to a matching folder or in its own folder inside of the KSP folder?

Edited by Havok
Changed question

1 hour ago, Havok said:

How exactly do I install the mod, do I just put the whole folder in gamedata. Do I add each Item to a matching folder or in its own folder inside of the KSP folder?

The mod is in a GameData folder. Just open that up and drag the HooliganLabs folder into GameData where you have KSP installed.

15 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

The mod is in a GameData folder. Just open that up and drag the HooliganLabs folder into GameData where you have KSP installed.

So the HL Airship mod folders: Category, Flags, Icons, Parts, Plugins all go in the Gamedata folder?

21 hours ago, JewelShisen said:

No. Move the entire folder that has them. Do not take them out of their parent folder.

Thanks, I got it to work now, I was confused because normally when I unzip files they become game data files with the mod files inside then I take out the files in that game data and move them into the KSP game data file.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Would it be possible to get an Airship hovering above KSC while launching a rocket?

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, yes , you could use the airpark feature to park any airship in the location of your choice

Also if you want it to be in motion then you can use PhysicsRangeExtender as well if it would be too far away otherwise

Edited by Drew Kerman

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2017 at 4:22 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Would it be possible to get an Airship hovering above KSC while launching a rocket?

I have buzzed an anchored airship in a jet, so as long as you're not too ambitious, (i.e, as long as you're not trying to launch the rocket *from* the airship) you can give your Kerbals an eagle's view of Jeb's first launch into orbit. Unfortunately, the exact thing I was trying to do with that doesn't seem to work. I have a long-term vision of an Eve base that never touches ground, with the crew return vehicle delivered suspended beneath a pair of balloons, one on each end, and docked to the main base until its time to head home. At that point, the crew climbs into the CRV, undocks it, and switches the vehicle from a baloon-on-each-end configuration to a both-baloons-on-one-end configuration (so that it hangs vertically), anchors so that the balloons can be retrieved, separates from the baloons, tilts over a bit so as to not hit the baloons on the way up, and burns for orbit.

Unfortunately, there are a few snags:

1) When anchored, vessels are considered to be landed, and even though unanchoring allows the vessel to move again and generally act as if it were flying freely through the air, it does *not* put the vessel back into a "flying" state as far as the game is concerned, e.g, for science. This perpetual landed state also causes the ride to be a bit rough while flying, for whatever reason. The vessel has to be unloaded and reloaded on the ground, by quicksaving and reloading, returning to the KSC, or (presumably, I haven't tested this) loading another vessel to be able to be in a "flying" state again. So if my floating Eve base is to be transiting between different biomes and gathering biome-specific airborne science data, it will have to land after reanchoring to regain the ability to go into a non-landed state game-engine-wise. Of course, if it is truly a base and not a mobile airship, this won't matter so much (other vessels will transit to different biomes and collect science), unless the perpetual landed state sticks with docked vessels when they undock.

2) In a test I performed tonight on Kerbin, the idea of suspending a rocket beneath a pair of balloons with KAS winches, anchoring the whole setup to preserve the balloons, and cutting the rocket loose doesn't seem to work too well. The Kraken didn't eat it quite as quickly as the time I forgot to anchor, but the balloons (or their attached winches and other sundry parts) did explode maybe 20 or 30 seconds after the rocket was launched. This may not strictly be a deficiency in the Hooligan Airships, I'd guess it breaks as many of the assumptions made by KAS as it does those made by Hooligan Airships.

3) A cosmetic issue: Hooligan Airships doesn't currently have the parts needed to do the CRV in a really satisfactory manner. The available stowable balloons (they need to be stowed for atmospheric entry at Eve. Even if the parts can survive it, I'd consider it cheating, physics-wise) seem to all be wide and short (height-wise), whereas to avoid collisions between the envelopes, it would be preferable to have narrow balloons that get all their volume from being tall. Also, the only way to do the horizontal-to-vertical transition with existing parts is to winch together the fore and aft balloons, then have a separator between the back end of the rocket and the back balloon. This causes the back end to drop like a stone, and will give your poor Kerbals whiplash. Now Kerbals are resilient and BadS Jeb will indubitably come through the experience grinning from ear to ear, but if I were engineering something like this in real life, I'd have the back balloon mounted on a rail running from nose to tail of the rocket, and would gently move it along that rail so that the tail would drop smoothly, in a way less likely to kill fragile human astronauts. 

3 hours ago, jwbrase said:

it does *not* put the vessel back into a "flying" state as far as the game is concerned

Did you check AirPark mod? It allows you exactly what you need -- to manually change the state from "flying" to "landed" and vice versa.

Edited by Shnyrik

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JewelShisen said:

For the old parts made by Hooligan? No.

For the newer ones I made? Yes I plan to update them some day. 

it was the old ones I was talking about :P

good to know tho, I haven't had a look at your new parts yet but I love when mod makers try to always improve :D

1 minute ago, TimberWolffe said:

it was the old ones I was talking about :P

good to know tho, I haven't had a look at your new parts yet but I love when mod makers try to always improve :D

My parts are in the mod already but the old hooligan parts will be left as is for posterity.

28 minutes ago, BlueDragon1504 said:

But seriously though, how do I fix this?

Hi is the COM smack in the center of the craft?  There's a limit to how much the pitch control can control, and a badly balanced craft is going to be a problem.  The craft in your pic  seems to have a lots of parts around the tail.  That aside haven't a clue as to how it's working in 1.3.1 or if it's working properly at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 11:34 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi is the COM smack in the center of the craft?  There's a limit to how much the pitch control can control, and a badly balanced craft is going to be a problem.  The craft in your pic  seems to have a lots of parts around the tail.  That aside haven't a clue as to how it's working in 1.3.1 or if it's working properly at all.

Tested it myself. Seems to be working just fine in 1.3.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.