[Airships in 1.12.3] HooliganLabs Mods

JewelShisen

quick question, is there some sort of idiots guide to this somewhere?

made a blimp base, SPH helper suggests it'll float up to 21km, but it just sits on the runway, is there some sort of control I'm missing/failed to find?

I hope to have a base at 20km to build and launch rockets from.

found it,

for anyone else asking this (admittedly rather dumb) question, there is a buoyancy control window to open and adjust buoyancy. 

word of warning, if your airship can go v. high (15-20km in my case) then going to max buoyancy and waiting to see what happens results in a rather rapid upward rise.... looked rather interesting here..

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

does this work for 1.4.3?

Yes. Everything appears to work fine, except by the toolbar icon (that is a gray square).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, fitemesquirrel said:

Appears to cause a game crash in 1.4.4 when compiling the drag cubes for the HLAirships parts. Not much in the log, just crashes.

I've been using the mod without issue since 1.4 first released, it's worked in 1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.4.3, and now 1.4.4 for me. The HL logo on the control button doesn't render, but other than that it's fully functional for me.

9 hours ago, vardicd said:

I've been using the mod without issue since 1.4 first released, it's worked in 1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.4.3, and now 1.4.4 for me. The HL logo on the control button doesn't render, but other than that it's fully functional for me.

Okay. On my system, it crashes when creating the drag cubes for the parts. It might be a Linux thing, though. I ran the game from the command line rather than through steam and got a stacktrace and SIGABRT with the message:

=================================================================
Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries 
used by your application.
=================================================================

Aborted (core dumped)

If other's aren't having this issue, I expect it's something in the native library for my linux system.

8 hours ago, fitemesquirrel said:

Okay. On my system, it crashes when creating the drag cubes for the parts.

Delete the following files and try again (this usually works for me under MacOS):

• PartsDatabase.cfg
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.ConfigCache
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.TechTree
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.Physics

22 hours ago, Lisias said:

Delete the following files and try again (this usually works for me under MacOS):

• PartsDatabase.cfg
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.ConfigCache
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.TechTree
  • Gamedata/ModuleManager.Physics

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, but unfortunately it still crashes in the same place, with the same error. There must be something up with the mono runtime under Linux.

17 minutes ago, fitemesquirrel said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, but unfortunately it still crashes in the same place, with the same error. There must be something up with the mono runtime under Linux.

It's not impossible, but on MacOS this is usually due some bug on Unity - what makes sense, as Unity is essentially a set of native libraries wrapped for Mono.

Until the moment, all my issues are related to memory being exhausted somehow. Sometimes VRAM, sometimes HEAP. Note that memory don't need to be exhausted de facto, this can be a bug on the Unity's memory management.

Give this a peek, perhaps it can be of use:

Thanks for the info. In this case, it's throwing SIGABRT at:

at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.MonoCustomAttrs.GetCustomAttributesInternal (System.Reflection.ICustomAttributeProvider,System.Type,bool) <0x0006a>

Which doesn't look like your crashes, or exhausted heap. Since this happens before the game even loads, it's hard to see what the heap looks like, but I don't think I'm blowing it.

In fact if anyone knows how to increase the heap size I'd be grateful. This system has 32GB of ram and I'm using just over 8 on it, with the game loaded. I could create a ramdisk and load the entire game into RAM if I wanted. 

Back to this issue, the class that's blowing up seems to be something related to the Attributes in the Parts for HLAirships, as this is the only mod that does this. I'm not using the USI stuff so I don't have the same issue you had. I'm not sure at this point if this is a bug with mono, Unity, system libs, or what. I don't think it's caused by this mod, it is just triggering a bug in the engine.

On 7/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, fitemesquirrel said:

In fact if anyone knows how to increase the heap size I'd be grateful. This system has 32GB of ram and I'm using just over 8 on it, with the game loaded. I could create a ramdisk and load the entire game into RAM if I wanted.

You need this:

However, too much memory can be a curse. Sooner or later, the GC WILL KICK IN and the more the memory you have, more garbage to be collected. Since KSP needs to run the physics engine each 20ms (IIRC), if by some reason the GC locks for too much time, the game crashes the same way.

On 7/9/2018 at 9:21 PM, fitemesquirrel said:

Back to this issue, the class that's blowing up seems to be something related to the Attributes in the Parts for HLAirships, as this is the only mod that does this. I'm not using the USI stuff so I don't have the same issue you had. I'm not sure at this point if this is a bug with mono, Unity, system libs, or what. I don't think it's caused by this mod, it is just triggering a bug in the engine.

That's interesting.

It's a long shot, but… Take the 5.6.2.1 binary from this place and give it a try:
https://github.com/net-lisias-kspu/HLAirships/releases/tag/RELEASE%2F5.6.1.2

It if works, let me know. I`M NOT THE MAINTAINER, I did this for my own use. But perhaps it can help you.

Edited by Lisias
fixing the link. my bad… =/

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

You need this:

However, too much memory can be a curse. Sooner or later, the GC WILL KICK IN and the more the memory you have, more garbage to be collected. Since KSP needs to run the physics engine each 20ms (IIRC), if by some reason the GC locks for too much time, the game crashes the same way.

That's interesting.

It's a long shot, but… Take the 5.2.1 binary from this place and give it a try:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/HLAirships/tree/master/Archive

It if works, let me know. I`M NOT THE MAINTAINER, I did this for my own use. But perhaps it can help you.

Hi there everybody. Just wanting to give an update. My laptop has been dying on me lately so I have not been able to try to learn how to fix anything but I recently got it back up (mostly) and I am going to start trying to work out how to fix the mod and get it going again!

Thank you all for your patience and if anybody can help me get started on the code fixes please let me know!!

1 minute ago, JewelShisen said:

Thank you all for your patience and if anybody can help me get started on the code fixes please let me know!!

My repo is your repo. :-)

Let me know if I can help you somehow.

30 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

I have never done coding for something like this so I am having to learn as I go.

Well, I'm impressed. You did a hell of a job. There're some very good mods depending on yours. Congrats.

30 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Any help is welcome. 

I'm fixing/deleting some very stupid mistakes on my fork so we can resync later, but you can give a peek on what I did/doing on the link above.

Essentially, "back side" improvements to make development easier. One thing that can help is recompiling against the 1.4 DLLs - this solved some problems for me in other mods, and it's the reason I did it on this. I'm using 1.4.1 DLLs just to avoid unnecessary incompatibilities with guys that are stuck on 1.4.1 due 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 bugs. (hint 1.4.4 is better, but it's not there yet).

edit: That DLL stunt should not be really needed, but since I was already bitten once, I'm playing safe to avoid being bitten again. :P 

Edited by Lisias

5 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Well, I'm impressed. You did a hell of a job. There're some very good mods depending on yours. Congrats.

I'm fixing/deleting some very stupid mistakes on my fork so we can resync later, but you can give a peek on what I did/doing on the link above.

Essentially, "back side" improvements to make development easier. One thing that can help is recompiling against the 1.4 DLLs - this solved some problems for me in other mods, and it's the reason I did it on this. I'm using 1.4.1 DLLs just to avoid unnecessary incompatibilities with guys that are stuck on 1.4.1 due 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 bugs. (hint 1.4.4 is better, but it's not there yet).

Oh I did not make HL! I am just maintaining it since the author stepped away!

3 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

Oh I did not make HL! I am just maintaining it since the author stepped away!

Oh. :D I think it's time for a nice cup of coffee. :) 

On 7/9/2018 at 7:35 PM, Lisias said:

That's interesting.

It's a long shot, but… Take the 5.2.1 binary from this place and give it a try:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/HLAirships/tree/master/Archive

Okay, so version 5.2.1 from that repo worked. I'm not sure what is different there, just a recompile against 1.4? If so, what are the newer versions in that repo, should I perhaps try moving forward in version then?

EDIT: Spoke before I actually built something... So, that version gets me into the game without crashing, and the parts are present, but I don't have a GUI button nor am I getting any options in the right click menu for the parts. Still, going to play around with your other versions you have up there. Any suggestions are welcome, though.

EDIT2: Okay, I used the latest version in your repo and I'm now getting a GUI, sans button image as others mention... I have airships! Thank you very much for your help.

Edited by fitemesquirrel

7 hours ago, fitemesquirrel said:

Okay, so version 5.2.1 from that repo worked. I'm not sure what is different there, just a recompile against 1.4? If so, what are the newer versions in that repo, should I perhaps try moving forward in version then?

Typo. I meant 5.6.2.1. Really sorry. :(

And yes, take the newest one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.