Do I have to land the science module to get full science?

I've been trying to gain a lot of science, and whenever I've landed after doing experiments, I sometimes find that only the science from the Crew Report is transferred into science. I'm wondering if I should land the Science bay as well?

Also, does the SC-9001 Science Jr. bay record information from one observation, like the Mystery Goo containment, or can it record multiple observations?

Edited by AkiraSpace

Yes, if you're dropping the science module(s) as part of 'stages' then you'll lose the data within. Transmit the data before detaching the module (if you're doing pod-and-parachutes-only returns) or bring it back for full points.

The materials experiment only stores one data set at a time, yes.

Yes you need to recover them if you havent transmitted the data. I just did a duna landing all the while transmitting EVERYTHING from orbit, did the materials/goo study over and over, crew reports and EVA reports while in space HIGH and LOW over Duna (missed Ike surprisingly) and netted about 640 science from the lander and about 1400 from all the data transfers.

Follow up question:

I've just landed Jeb on the Mun, with the science lab, complied a report etc and got 100 sciences from the lab. Did a few EVA reports etc plus on-orbit reports for a total of 165 sciences

Returned to Kerbin intact but after recovering the craft only ended up with less than 100 sciences, mainly from the recovering of the craft.

Prior to re-entry I "reset" the lab to close the doors (in case they were ripped of in re-entry). Does this wipe out the lab science? even though Id saved the report?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.