[1.0.2] Navball docking alignment indicator v7

mic_e

I don't usually make requests but this mod looks so good I can't hold myself this time :)

would it be possible to add a couple of buttons to switch docking port? like the buttons on fishnavy mod? (see image)

buttons.JPG

of course this is an ugly example I did on the fly with ms_paint (really ugly), you can put the buttons wherever it is easier to script them....

this way I can remove 1 mod from my setup (which has already too much)

edit: another thing came to mind, would it be possible to display the degrees of rotation on the navball display (green arrow)?

Edited by Sigma88

Thanks for this mod.

Just a little request: could you add its metadata to CKAN?

/me takes a look at CKAN

(...) buttons (...)

What precisely would those buttons do? Cycle through all available docking ports on the selected target vessel? Modifying the navball by drawing additional buttons sounds really hacky, and I have no idea how to do it (properly), so I won't work on this. However, I'll gladly take hints, code snippets, or, best of all, a pull request on GitHub.

Hijacking the heading display sounds like a great idea, but again, I don't know how to do it, and I hate spending my time reverse-engineering undocumented APIs :(

What precisely would those buttons do? Cycle through all available docking ports on the selected target vessel?

Exactly, I am building a space station and it's a pain rotating the view in order to right click on the proper port to set it as target

Modifying the navball by drawing additional buttons sounds really hacky, and I have no idea how to do it (properly), so I won't work on this. However, I'll gladly take hints, code snippets, or, best of all, a pull request on GitHub.

Hijacking the heading display sounds like a great idea, but again, I don't know how to do it, and I hate spending my time reverse-engineering undocumented APIs :(

An easy way could be assigning 2 hotkeys to the funcion and leaving it without any graphical implementation.

sadly I don't have any experience with KSP UI, In the past I've done something for other games but now I just don't have the time anymore.

usually It's easier to add something on the borders of an UI rather then integrating stuff inside

for example:

buttons2.JPG

but again, I don't have experience with ksp in specific, so this could be too much work

I'll use this mod anyways, looks very good as it is now :D

I can look into the cycling part, to see how it could be linked to hotkeys, if you are interested I can pm you if I find something interesting

KSP is one of those games where almost every key on the keyboard has some functionality assigned, so hotkeys would bear great potential for collisions with other mods/future stock functionality. The 'cycling' itself would be easy, I can simply harvest that from Navyfish's code :P

If you're adding buttons please don't forget to make it compatible with enhanced navball.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... doing it _properly_, such that it doesen't break in future stock or with rescaling mods like Enhanced Navball, is hard...

It'd probably be best to just use Hotkeys, and add the bindings to the (already-existing) conf file. Maybe I'll create a GUI configuration menu and add it to the Space Center's stock toolbar.

Edited by mic_e

KSP is one of those games where almost every key on the keyboard has some functionality assigned, so hotkeys would bear great potential for collisions

That would be in line with the KSP spirit :D

The 'cycling' itself would be easy, I can simply harvest that from Navyfish's code :P

If I have the time to do something I'll send it to you, thanks for having taken the time to answer me!

edit:

alternatively if hotkeys are frowned upon I think something could be added to the right click menu of the active vessel docking port....

looks like tonight I'm not going to sleep. :(

Edited by Sigma88

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw this in CKAN this morning, looked at the date of the first post... How did I miss it? It's all I ever wanted, much simpler than Docking Port Alignment Indicator but it does everything I need it to do! Thank you so much for this awesome mod!

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else getting this logspam when launching any vessel?

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

output_log.txt

*A.D.E.P.T. 1.0

AdvancedAnimator 1.1.1

Brake Toggle 1.0

Contract Configurator 1.1.3

Contract Pack - Kerbin Space Station 1.3.1

Crew Queue 1.0

CrowdSourced Science 3.0

**DMagic Orbital Science 1.0.3

GForce 1.0

HyperEdit 1.4

Klockheed Martian Gimbal 3.0.3.0

**Klockheed Martian SSE 2.2.0

MechJeb 2.5.1.0

*Mk2 Essentials 5

Module Manager 2.6.3

Muffler 1.0

NavBall Docking Alignment Indicator 6.0

Procedural Fairings 3.14

Protractor 2.5.1

RealChute 1.3.2.3

SCANsat 12.0

*SpaceShuttle NoseCone 3.0

Station Science 1.5

Stock Bug Fix Modules 1.0.2d.2

Toolbar 1.7.9

USI Life Support 0.1.2

Waypoint Manager 2.3.2

*These mods have by default, or have been edited to contain only one single part.

**These mods have been edited to contain a maximum of 7 parts.

Thanks in advance. :)

No clue. Well, I've checked my copy of KSP .90, and noticed the same issue on that version of Navball Docking Alignment.

Now, I'm wondering if I ever updated to the latest version when switching to KSP 1.0, or have this slipped through, and I copypasted that old version into the new KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.