Hilarious the science tree gives us Skipper before Mainsail

Oddible

Rational progression of course, and I'm still very much the newb, but I harken back to the days of building my first ships and thinking bigger meant better. I can picture all the new players unlocking the large tanks and thinking the Skipper is an upgrade from their T45s and watching their rockets asplode from overheat or fall back to the shore from lack of thrust. This aspect of the R&D tree and the resulting humor and 'fun' are a great progression in the development of this game. Much love Squad!

zpqa.png

Does it count as cheating if I used two mainsails aimed at the skipper?

I will amend my previous statement. I don't think I could overheat the skipper through normal use. I could with malfeasance. Then again, I can overheat anything via malfeasance. :)

Overheat a Nerva

dam things are impossible, they heat up to half bar and then stop :/

That's not as hard as you might think. Just put a bunch of them clustered together and they'll all mutually destroy one another from the heat. It's a very real risk with quad-coupled LV-Ns.

The Skipper is a fine first-stage engine for a modest rocket. What is silly is having the orbital-stage Poodle as the first 2.5m engine, to use with a 1.25m first stage. One of the main aims of my tech tree overhaul was to get you set up to move to 2.5m on the bottom of your rocket before the top.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53749-VetTech-Lightweight-Tech-Tree-reordering-for-experienced-players

You're confusing the Mainsail with the Skipper. Besides, the Mainsail has been adjusted and it barely overheats.

Hehe, nope. The Mainsail has fantastic thrust and when new players plop one on the bottom of an orange tank they'll get the results they expect. But we don't get the mainsail first. We get the Skipper, an awesome mid-stage rocket, and the first engine unlockable for the big tanks. So new players will stack 2 large grey tanks just like they did their medium tanks, plop a skipper at the bottom and * fizzzt * it will most definitely NOT get them the results they expect or what they were seeing from the T45s. Anyway, this thread didn't go the way I expected (much like my space program) and everyone seems fixated on the overheating. Enjoy!

Hehe, nope. The Mainsail has fantastic thrust and when new players plop one on the bottom of an orange tank they'll get the results they expect. But we don't get the mainsail first. We get the Skipper, an awesome mid-stage rocket, and the first engine unlockable for the big tanks. So new players will stack 2 large grey tanks just like they did their medium tanks, plop a skipper at the bottom and * fizzzt * it will most definitely NOT get them the results they expect or what they were seeing from the T45s. Anyway, this thread didn't go the way I expected (much like my space program) and everyone seems fixated on the overheating. Enjoy!

Except that the Skipper is awesomely powerful, almost brokenly so. It has a weight tolerance of about 24T from Kerbin's surface before the TWR gets too low to be practical, which is just a bit above the weight of an orange tank. Meaning you can in fact slap more orange tank + Skipper side stages on a rocket and get real results.

Except that the Skipper is awesomely powerful, almost brokenly so. It has a weight tolerance of about 24T from Kerbin's surface before the TWR gets too low to be practical, which is just a bit above the weight of an orange tank. Meaning you can in fact slap more orange tank + Skipper side stages on a rocket and get real results.

Swap out a tall stack medium tank on a T45 with an orange tank on a Skipper. Very different performance. That's all I'm saying.

The Skipper is a fine first-stage engine for a modest rocket. What is silly is having the orbital-stage Poodle as the first 2.5m engine, to use with a 1.25m first stage. One of the main aims of my tech tree overhaul was to get you set up to move to 2.5m on the bottom of your rocket before the top.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53749-VetTech-Lightweight-Tech-Tree-reordering-for-experienced-players

Actually I think it makes sense that way: Kerbals just take their existing small diameter motors and made a larger mounting base for it.

Speaking of, it would be nice to see a mechanic added in game for heat dissipation and then crank up the heat that engines produce, especially the big ones.

The less atmosphere, the more heat produced (you know, because no convective or conductive heat loss, just radiative).

I'd love to be able to throw some radiators on my ships to prevent them from overheating when I want some high thrust in orbit, especially NERVAs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.