[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

I tried the test version. Seems to work better than the official version does. Thank you!

Not resolved:

* The 'yocto' problem still persists.

Resolved / improved:

* New parts are now properly recognized, both in VAB and in flight.

* There was some delay in updating HUD info in VAB before: it is now almost completely gone.

It's update time! And minor version changing time! This update brings 0.23.5 compatibility and improves the breadth of the engineering code using Padishar's experimental KER simulator.

CHANGELOG:

v.0.10.0 [2014-04-04]
* API update for KSP 0.23.5.
* Integrated [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/72062"]experimental KER simulator[/URL] by [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/100092"]Padishar[/URL].
* Improved configurable-precision display for values smaller than 1.

Can I avoid void from switching to mm/m/km/Mm as it see fits? Would be nice to have more than one toolbar icon for each specific functions...and last but not least hud in VAB is sometimes hard to see, can you make a standard window?

Ah and thanks for this mod :)

Can I avoid void from switching to mm/m/km/Mm as it see fits? Would be nice to have more than one toolbar icon for each specific functions...and last but not least hud in VAB is sometimes hard to see, can you make a standard window?

Ah and thanks for this mod :)

Hmm, I'll have to think about a meaningful way of locking down the precision. It can certainly be done, but I'm not sure what the best way to present it would be. Did you know that you can vary the precision manually by right- and left- clicking on data items with a little superscript "i" next to the label? Does that help any?

Hmm, I'll look in to building a little toolbar submenu for the other functions. I personally don't love the idea of making half a dozen extra icons... but if I can find a way to make it easy and optional, I'll try to accomodate. :)

I would like to revisit the editor elements in general. Consider that on the "to do" list.

Yay! My most used mod is back!
The first thing I install in a new installation. Priceless. Thanx!

Glad you like it! :)

it's a shame the data logger isn't really that functional. No idea what the values are in the CSV file

Yeah, the data logger is still old legacy stuff, which I really haven't paid any attention to because when I asked for input on it I got no response. What would you (and anyone else) like to see in the data logger to make this a useful function?

So this can replace KER fully in the VAB?

VOID is not a complete replacement for KER in the editors. Since I cybutek was gracious enough to lend his code to VOID's engineering portions, I have taken it on myself to avoid competing directly. The stage-by-stage display and configurability of planet / moon and atmosphere, for instance, are not implemented in VOID. It tells you stats for the whole vehicle and the last stage only, relative to Kerbin's surface gravity, with no atmosphere, since that's how most delta-V statistics are published.

I think that VOID should be generally conflict-free with Padishar's KER builds. It may be desirable to remove the VesselSimulation and Engineer.Extensions libraries from the VOID folder if you're using both, but honestly I haven't tested that.

Yeah, the data logger is still old legacy stuff, which I really haven't paid any attention to because when I asked for input on it I got no response. What would you (and anyone else) like to see in the data logger to make this a useful function?

It might be useful now - I just don't know exactly what it's telling me :) What are the fields currently in the CSV file?

It might be useful now - I just don't know exactly what it's telling me :) What are the fields currently in the CSV file?

Looks like they are (straight out of the code):

line += "Mission Elapsed Time (s);Altitude ASL (m);Altitude above terrain (m);Orbital Velocity (m/s);Surface Velocity (m/s);Vertical Speed (m/s);Horizontal Speed (m/s);Gee Force (gees);Temperature (°C);Gravity (m/s²);Atmosphere Density (g/m³);\n";

The first thing I note is that it could use the primary body indication. Also, a few of the items are slightly wrong (mostly just true altitude). It seems like some engineering data might be good, too?

primary body indication would indeed be good for interplanetary logs. For me, it would be useful to also see stuff like current total drag, amount of Dv used, inclination and pitch. I'd really like to use the data from launching "sim" rockets, where I just build a simple rocket in Sandbox with a certain amount of Dv and see what I can do with it, then take those figures to Career mode to construct the rocket I actually need to deliver a payload for a certain mission

I think that VOID should be generally conflict-free with Padishar's KER builds. It may be desirable to remove the VesselSimulation and Engineer.Extensions libraries from the VOID folder if you're using both, but honestly I haven't tested that.

I am using both since yesterday and have not noticed any conflicts yet, will keep it this way as a longtime test. :)

I'd like to request for more accuracy in the tonnage if possible. To three decimal points like Dv and altitude would be great. Reason is I use a Saitek X52 meaning that when I cut throttle, even if I jerk it back fast the last reading the game gets is like 0.01 thrust or whatever so the Est. Burn is always useless to me. Thankfully I know how to calculate the burn time myself , and having more accuracy in the starting weight I input into the equation will help get better accuracy for my burns - especially long ones

I'd like to request for more accuracy in the tonnage if possible. To three decimal points like Dv and altitude would be great. Reason is I use a Saitek X52 meaning that when I cut throttle, even if I jerk it back fast the last reading the game gets is like 0.01 thrust or whatever so the Est. Burn is always useless to me. Thankfully I know how to calculate the burn time myself , and having more accuracy in the starting weight I input into the equation will help get better accuracy for my burns - especially long ones

Sure, I'll change that right now.

I'm also considering an addition to the HUD elements that might include vessel mass, burn times, etc., based on the KER thrust calculations.

is there a way to move the overlay? if so, how? i can't find it. If not, could that be something you add? I like it where it is... but I also kinda want it down by the navball sometimes.

Yes, the HUD windows can be unlocked in the configuration menu. Click on the VOID icon on the toolbar (or the standalone button) and open the "Configuration" window. In that window, look for "Unlock HUD Positions".

Sure, I'll change that right now.

I'm also considering an addition to the HUD elements that might include vessel mass, burn times, etc., based on the KER thrust calculations.

Awesome, that would be great. Don't forget to take staging into account for burn times though - as in I need 500m/s of Dv change but my current stage only holds 200m/s and the next stage uses a different rocket.

Additional info for the rendezvous window would be time to next intercept. My last mission I used my burn calc and approach speed as I neared intercept to know how long I needed to burn prior to intercept to be going close to 0m/s relative speed at intercept, but I had to hold my mouse cursor over the intercept in map view to watch the countdown

Awesome, that would be great. Don't forget to take staging into account for burn times though - as in I need 500m/s of Dv change but my current stage only holds 200m/s and the next stage uses a different rocket.

I'm... pretty sure I can do that, actually. I haven't even started mockups for that yet, but thanks for the input. I will definitely try to do that. :)

Additional info for the rendezvous window would be time to next intercept. My last mission I used my burn calc and approach speed as I neared intercept to know how long I needed to burn prior to intercept to be going close to 0m/s relative speed at intercept, but I had to hold my mouse cursor over the intercept in map view to watch the countdown

Well, if the map can show that info I probably can, too. I'll look into it. :)

Oh um, regarding KER calculations - I think some of those (like DV in the HUDs) are causing a bit of lag. I'm running a fairly intense game right now and being able to toggle on/off any expensive calculations would be a godsend....

(I say a toggle/setting because I DO like seeing those on saves that don't have quite so much going on)

Is there a way to reset VOID? For some reason the menu won't come up when I click the button in the VAH, and I suspect I might have accidentally moved it outside the display. Also is there a way to display DeltaV on other bodies then Kerbin/Space/Whatever its showing in the VAH HUD?

Oh um, regarding KER calculations - I think some of those (like DV in the HUDs) are causing a bit of lag. I'm running a fairly intense game right now and being able to toggle on/off any expensive calculations would be a godsend....

(I say a toggle/setting because I DO like seeing those on saves that don't have quite so much going on)

I'm looking into a couple of performance optimizations that might help this out; I hope to have something for you to test maybe this weekend. If that doesn't make the difference, I can

Is there a way to reset VOID? For some reason the menu won't come up when I click the button in the VAH, and I suspect I might have accidentally moved it outside the display. Also is there a way to display DeltaV on other bodies then Kerbin/Space/Whatever its showing in the VAH HUD?

You should be able to completely reset VOID by deleting the PluginData folder in GameData/VOID/Plugins. There's also a button to do this in the config menu, but of course that doesn't help you if you can't get to the window. :)

Edited by toadicus

Hi, I have a little problem with the display of data from the VOID UI.

I have been using the mod fine in 0.23 but since 0.23.5 I have been having a problem with values showing as N/A when they clearly should not be.

I have cleared out and reinstalled all my mods since the 0.23.5 update.

The problem seems to occour on vessels that incorperate both solid and liquid motors (in parallel or series) a vessel using only solid or liquid doesn't seem affected.

Here are some pictures showing what I mean, new sandbox save, stock only parts.

Liquid motor only.

pWfbCSol.png

Solid motor only

n2BBqpJl.png

Liquid upper and solid lower stage, note N/A values on VOID display.

o00apudl.png

I have a fair range of mods installed, however I do not see why they would affect the readout so specifically and only when solid and liquid are combined. If this is an issue already raised can you point me to the solution? as I was unable to find this mentioned.

Shania.

Hi, I have a little problem with the display of data from the VOID UI.

I have been using the mod fine in 0.23 but since 0.23.5 I have been having a problem with values showing as N/A when they clearly should not be.

I have cleared out and reinstalled all my mods since the 0.23.5 update.

The problem seems to occour on vessels that incorperate both solid and liquid motors (in parallel or series) a vessel using only solid or liquid doesn't seem affected.

Here are some pictures showing what I mean, new sandbox save, stock only parts.

Liquid motor only.

http://i.imgur.com/pWfbCSol.png

Solid motor only

http://i.imgur.com/n2BBqpJl.png

Liquid upper and solid lower stage, note N/A values on VOID display.

http://i.imgur.com/o00apudl.png

I have a fair range of mods installed, however I do not see why they would affect the readout so specifically and only when solid and liquid are combined. If this is an issue already raised can you point me to the solution? as I was unable to find this mentioned.

Shania.

Hmm. I'm not 100% sure why that would be happening; maybe I packaged an older version of the KER simulators by accident. I built that exact craft and did not have an issue, so with that in mind I've refreshed the archives at spaceport and the links on the front page. There are no changes to the VOID code whatsoever, just a refresh to the engineering library. Let me know if that doesn't fix it.

Ok thanks, I replaced my current VOID folder with that new download and built the same rocket .... all the values show as good now :)

Not sure if I had a corrupted download the first time or what, but it seems fixed now.

Now its back to being my fault when I dont make orbit, thanks .... I suppose :)

This is one of my absolutely essential mods, and I've been using it since I got the game two weeks ago. But today I started having a new problem, where the HUD's text size would shrink to miniscule, making it very hard to read. I think it changes when I switch to the orbital mapper or back, and when I turn the HUD off and back on it gets larger, but I still don't think it's as large as it used to be. Any ideas?