[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

When I do the rewrite, I'll add the ability for you to set a frequency so you can output just every 15 seconds. I'm also going to do asynchronous writes so you shouldn't lose several seconds if the game closes unexpectedly. :)

When I do the rewrite, I'll add the ability for you to set a frequency so you can output just every 15 seconds

You mean you'll keep the ability to update every set number of seconds ;) You might notice the MET in my example shot is every 5 seconds since that's what I set it in the current version of VOID. Although note it did start just over a second late. Not really a big deal tho IMO.

if you're able to plug into FAR, stuff like air pressure (Q) would be good to log (Minor request - I vidcap launches too, not hard to just manually pull the data since VOID already takes care of the rest). Can't really think of anything else I'd like logged, personally. The cleaned up CSV stuff is already great, will make MDB import smoother as well.

Can you share a log (Windows: \path\to\KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt; Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log; Mac: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log) after a run of the game that exhibits the problem? This doesn't happen to me, so to help you I need some understanding of what makes your scenario different from mine.

• 4 weeks later...

VOID has been updated to version 0.16! This version brings KSP 0.90 compatibility, DataLogger performance enhancements, and various behind the scenes improvements.

CHANGELOG:

v.0.16 [2014-12-15]
* Updated for KSP 0.90.0 and VesselSimulator 1.0.13.
* VOID_DataLogger: Many improvements behind the scenes; should be a bit easier to work with now.
* Various code cleanup and behind the scenes tweaks to start getting ready for The Next Big Thing.

Toadicus!

Thank you as always :)

Something for the next update to consider please.

The burn counter for the node, could it be updated to KER burn at half time code? It has calculations for across stages. (ie going from bigger to smaller engines after staging halfway through)

Thanks again! esp for the .90 super speedy update!

toadicus I'm trying to track down another possible issue with Mission Architect and one of the things I noticed was the orbital period of Ike as shown by the celestial catalog:

Da6e15D.png

It is supposed to be 18h:11m:57s, which is what both Mission Architect and the wiki state it as. Is that value pulled from the game or wrongly inputted by you?

Hi Toadicus,

Awesome mod, always the first one I add in any modded install. I've noticed in 0.90, the HUD sits right over the advanced editing controls in the VAB - but the configuration doesn't appear to allow me to reposition the HUD like I can in the other views. Am I just not seeing the setting? Or is that a fixed position? If fixed, can you please tweak it so it doesn't cover the editing controls, or so that we can move it like in flight view? Thanks.

@Gaiiden: Hmm, I'll look at that. It's not manual data entry on my part; it could be differences in the way we're dividing up time spans? I'll let you know what I find.

@panarchist: Oh shoot, I meant to fix that. You're correct, you can't move it and it is all up in the way. I'll try to get a fix for the position and a movable option today some time.

Edited by toadicus

Gaiiden, I think something else is going on with your Ike report.

VOID_CB-Mun_Ike.png

My version reports Ike correctly, and technically reports Mun correctly, too. I'm a little confused about the metrics; the wiki reports Kerbin's sidereal day as 21600 seconds and its solar day as 21650.813 seconds. With that in mind, since "21600" is what everyone had been using for "one Kerbin day", I decided to use Earth's sidereal day as well, which is a bit shorter than a solar day (86164.1 seconds versus 86400.0025 seconds). So, any time I'm converting a period more than 24 hours long to Earth time, my presentation will differ from the presentation of someone using Earth's solar day.

To make things yet more confusing, these days KSP fires a log message during start up that claims "Kerbin's solar day length is 1d, 0h, 0m long. sidereal day length is 5h, 59m, 59s long". If that's true, then I should change my Earth number to the solar day to match. However, based on this bit in the KSP wiki's Kerbin discussion, it looks like in fact the 21600 seconds is the sidereal time and not the solar time, and that the log output is probably wrong (wouldn't be the first time).

So, I'm using sidereal time, not solar time, for both Kerbin and Earth. I think. I do know that I'm polling the rotational period directly from body.rotationPeriod, so if my seconds values are wrong, so are Squad's. :)

Thanks you for your awesome mod. I've been using it since like ksp version 18 or something. But could i offer a suggestion for v.90

I know code has changed alot, but think it would be possible to tie your mod to the engineer's ability. like level 1 he can use a few features and as he progresses he can tell delta v left and biomes or such?

Just thought this would really add to the class, which right now is pretty useless, unless dang it's modder can add to it.

So, I'm using sidereal time, not solar time, for both Kerbin and Earth. I think. I do know that I'm polling the rotational period directly from body.rotationPeriod, so if my seconds values are wrong, so are Squad's. :)

Oookay my head hurts. This is like the lat/lon problem I brought up before between you, Engineer and KSPTOT (which still hasn't been resolved BTW). This is what I get from kOS for orbital periods:

eSgKNaf.png

None of these values match what the wiki has for either synodic or sidereal orbital periods. Furthermore, none of these values match what KSPTOT says are the orbital periods of these bodies (KSPTOT's periods match the periods given in the wiki).

Can you tell me exactly what values you are using for Minmus, Mun and Ike?

And also I just realized - please note I'm referring to orbital period, not rotational. I can see how you may have skipped over that given that for Ike the two are one and the same

Edit: just heard from Steven Madding over the in kOS thread about these values and they are straight from the game's API. So it would seem that KSPTOT is using a different frame of reference when calculating the orbital period of bodies

Edited by Gaiiden

My values are all also directly from the API. Here are the raw values for those three:

Minmus:
Host Body: Kerbin
Semi-Major Axis: 47000000.00
Inlination: 6.00
Longitude of Ascending Node: 78.00
Argument of Periapsis: 38.00
Orbital Period: 1077310.52
Rotational Period: 40400.00

Mun:
Host Body: Kerbin
Semi-Major Axis: 12000000.00
Inlination: 0.00
Longitude of Ascending Node: 0.00
Argument of Periapsis: 0.00
Orbital Period: 138984.38
Rotational Period: 138984.38

Ike:
Host Body: Duna
Semi-Major Axis: 3200000.00
Inlination: 0.20
Longitude of Ascending Node: 0.00
Argument of Periapsis: 0.00
Orbital Period: 65517.86
Rotational Period: 65517.86

Here's the whole gang: http://hastebin.com/remavobixu.vhdl

Interestingly, none of these numbers agree with the kOS postings you have above. These are all as polled from directly from the bodies in FlightGlobals.Bodies (after sorting) during the first Update() pass when loading a ship on the launchpad in 0.90.0. The Celestial Body Browser uses the same process, it just makes them prettier first. kOS doesn't work in 0.90 yet as far as I can tell, so I can't test it here.

That said, I still think there's something else going on with you install. I loaded up a completely vanilla install of 0.25, with no mods but VOID and kOS, and got these:

VOID_CB25-Mun_Minmus.pngVOID_CB25-Ike_Duna.pngkOS25-Mun_Minmus_Ike.png

The VOID screenshots are in Kerbin time; the orbit periods in seconds are: Mun: 138984.4, Minmus: 1077310.5, Ike: 65517.9. These are all exactly what I get in 0.90 and exactly what kOS gets in 0.25 (rounding aside). Do you have another mod that might be changing the gravitational constant of the universe or something?

Thanks you for your awesome mod. I've been using it since like ksp version 18 or something. But could i offer a suggestion for v.90

I know code has changed alot, but think it would be possible to tie your mod to the engineer's ability. like level 1 he can use a few features and as he progresses he can tell delta v left and biomes or such?

Just thought this would really add to the class, which right now is pretty useless, unless dang it's modder can add to it.

I have considered this and am of two minds about it. I could almost certainly tie VOID's information to career progress (manually or automatically depending on how accessible the limitations are in Squad's code), but at the same time I really dislike the idea of limiting basic information and probably disagree with Squad's approach (I haven't actually played any 0.90 yet; maybe I'll like it better than I think I will). Too, how do we resolve things with probes? Afaik probe cores don't get engineer or scientist levels (just pilot levels), so should a probe be unable to calculate its own delta-v, or sense the biome it's over?

Edited by toadicus
Added response to Eagle21221.

The VOID screenshots are in Kerbin time; the orbit periods in seconds are: Mun: 138984.4, Minmus: 1077310.5, Ike: 65517.9. These are all exactly what I get in 0.90 and exactly what kOS gets in 0.25 (rounding aside). Do you have another mod that might be changing the gravitational constant of the universe or something?

Ut oh. Y'know, I guess I shoulda paid more attention to the issue that, when I tried to load a mission save from 0.24.2 into 0.25 where I was coming down to land on Mun, the rotational position of Mun was not the same. I wrote it off as a corrupt save file, since I do manually edit a lot of my saves and I coulda screwed up the spacecraft position.

I'm going to have to strip to stock and see what the hell is going on. I have no idea what could cause the orbital periods of bodies to change like this 0_o