[1.2] VOID 1.1.0-beta - Vessel Orbital Informational Display

toadicus

35 minutes ago, toadicus said:

VOID has been updated to version 0.19.1!  This update brings proper F2 support and has been recompiled for KSP 1.1.2.

Just a heads up in case you haven't noticed, there was an important fix made to the VesselSimulator code in the last couple of days. I was going to check in your source but couldn't find a source link in the OP that I can look at on my mobile. 

• 2 weeks later...

VOID 1.0 beta is available for testing!

As hoped, I've got back to working on Scripted panels support, and the 1.0 feature list is complete.  Now it's time for the brave among you to break things so I can fix them!  This new feature adds the ability to define simple panels in CFG files, referring to data elements provided from VOID (or VOID extensions, if/when any exist to add data elements) and uses a simple scripting mini-language to provide dynamic data and user interaction analogous to what we currently have.  The stock "Orbital Information", "Surface & Atmospheric Info", and "Vessel Information" panels are now scripted panels.

In the future, I hope to add support for table-based panels, which would allows the duplication of the Celestial Body Browser and the Stage Information panels in the configurable format, and skinning/locking support, which would allow for the duplication of HUD panels.

Download Links: [zip] [tar.gz] [tar.xz]

VOIDScript Specification: https://goo.gl/iqGFvW

Basic Usage:

Script panels behave identically to normal panels, so turn them on and off as usual!  Panels are read from VOID_PANEL{} nodes in .cfg files in GameData.  Panel definitions can be reloaded through the "Scripted Panel Manager" panel, which will reload any existing panel definitions and load any new panel definitions in existing files.  To get panel definitions from new files at this point, you have to restart the game.

If you make a syntax or other mistake, the panel should otherwise work normally but will make an error report available on mouseover and in a "flyout" panel extension on the -> button that will appear near the usual panel close button.

Hope you enjoy!  Please report any problems here with supporting logs or screenshots, as appropriate.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all!  I've got a request to make.  I've been gone a lot the last few months: mostly because of work and a few family vacations, but also because I'm having trouble fitting modding time into my schedule these days.  It's nothing to do with whatever has apparently been going on around the forums that Scott Manley's talked about, or anything that Squad has done or is doing, it's just that my life is busy and as time wears on my life gets busier and the work of modding slowly gets less enjoyable.  It's also been a long time since I've actually played KSP: I only turn it on to test mods.

This isn't "I'm done".  I've got a few updates pending that I really need to finish and get out.  I'm committed to finishing those and making sure all of my mods work correctly with KSP 1.1.3.  I also plan to finish up VOID 1.0 and get that released.  I'm also not ready to say "I'm done", because if the mood strikes me I'd love for the mods to still be here for me to work on and keep sharing with you.

I want to take a minute to emphasize that it has been an absolute joy writing these mods, learning so much about programming from them, and sharing them with you.  Our communities have been extremely friendly, and having you all along for the journey with me has really been fantastic.  There have been many of you that really stand out as going the extra mile to help with support in the threads, and it is so pleasing to see how when I'm out (or even just asleep), you guys are still here helping each other.

So, if this isn't "I'm done", what is it?  For now, this is "I'd like some help".  Most of my mods are basically in maintenance mode at this point.  I've got some bugs to fix in AntennaRange, a feature to fix and a feature to add in TweakableEverything, and the Scripted functionality to finish in VOID.  I'm going to get those done one way or another -- probably on my own, hopefully next week.  But past that, the mods really just need some TLC every time Squad updates the game, and when a new player turns over a bit of untested code in a corner to find a bug or defect.

If you're interested, please e-mail me: my address is andy (at) wtribe (dotcom), and I'd love to hear from you.  You don't need to be a C# expert, but programming experience seems pretty necessary.  I'm happy to hold your hand through things and help you learn -- that's how I learned, and I'm entirely willing to share what I've learned with you.  Write me a quick letter -- maybe a couple of paragraphs -- so I can tell you're not a robot, and in the letter just try to convince me that you're right for the projects and willing to do what you can to keep these mods successful, and these threads positive.

I'm cross-posting this on the threads for all my mods.  Thanks again for being awesome!

• 1 month later...

just noticed that, when logging, if you switch vessels the logger will also switch data. It would be nice if the data can remain coming from the vessel that was in focus when the logging was enabled. This should be possible, as I noticed that Graphotron, which also logs vessel data, did not switch to the new vessel during its data logging.

Hope all is well, toadicus

• 4 weeks later...
On 12-9-2016 at 11:18 AM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Hi toadicus,

So, are you looking for a new developer for VOID?  I love VOID, would hate to see it die, might be interested in taking it on.

Yeah, VOID is really helpful when operating/building my engines. Have you written him an email yet?

On 7/10/2016 at 8:09 PM, toadicus said:

Hey all!  I've got a request to make.  I've been gone a lot the last few months: mostly because of work and a few family vacations, but also because I'm having trouble fitting modding time into my schedule these days.  It's nothing to do with whatever has apparently been going on around the forums that Scott Manley's talked about, or anything that Squad has done or is doing, it's just that my life is busy and as time wears on my life gets busier and the work of modding slowly gets less enjoyable.  It's also been a long time since I've actually played KSP: I only turn it on to test mods.

This isn't "I'm done".  I've got a few updates pending that I really need to finish and get out.  I'm committed to finishing those and making sure all of my mods work correctly with KSP 1.1.3.  I also plan to finish up VOID 1.0 and get that released.  I'm also not ready to say "I'm done", because if the mood strikes me I'd love for the mods to still be here for me to work on and keep sharing with you.

I want to take a minute to emphasize that it has been an absolute joy writing these mods, learning so much about programming from them, and sharing them with you.  Our communities have been extremely friendly, and having you all along for the journey with me has really been fantastic.  There have been many of you that really stand out as going the extra mile to help with support in the threads, and it is so pleasing to see how when I'm out (or even just asleep), you guys are still here helping each other.

So, if this isn't "I'm done", what is it?  For now, this is "I'd like some help".  Most of my mods are basically in maintenance mode at this point.  I've got some bugs to fix in AntennaRange, a feature to fix and a feature to add in TweakableEverything, and the Scripted functionality to finish in VOID.  I'm going to get those done one way or another -- probably on my own, hopefully next week.  But past that, the mods really just need some TLC every time Squad updates the game, and when a new player turns over a bit of untested code in a corner to find a bug or defect.

If you're interested, please e-mail me: my address is andy (at) wtribe (dotcom), and I'd love to hear from you.  You don't need to be a C# expert, but programming experience seems pretty necessary.  I'm happy to hold your hand through things and help you learn -- that's how I learned, and I'm entirely willing to share what I've learned with you.  Write me a quick letter -- maybe a couple of paragraphs -- so I can tell you're not a robot, and in the letter just try to convince me that you're right for the projects and willing to do what you can to keep these mods successful, and these threads positive.

I'm cross-posting this on the threads for all my mods.  Thanks again for being awesome!

I'd be willing to adopt VOID.  I'm already doing TweakableEverything & ToadicusTools, so it makes sense, since the tools are used by VOID also

way to go linuxgurugamer...  three cheers. hip-hip-hurah...

this mod has been a great help to me and many, many others i am sure.

good luck / good fun with familiy, work and life.  hope time works out to see you back toadicus.

Cheers.

For the record, I've given linuxgurugamer express, written permission to carry on development of this mod, including rights to use its name, my name, and all code, patches, graphics, and/or other assets. Moderation team, you are invited to move this thread over to his ownership at his request. Thanks to all for your support these last two years! It's been a real joy working with you.

Z-Key, if you still want to help out, talk to linuxgurugamer.

Here is an initial beta release for 1.2:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VOID/releases/tag/1.1.0-beta

@toadicus hasn't yet gotten the thread transferred to me yet, when he does, I'll be able to update the OP

I need feedback, this is a complicated system, and I think I got it working smoothly in 1.2.  Please check your logs for any issues, either by itself or inconjunction with other mods.

Thanks

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 10/7/2016 at 3:24 AM, UnusualAttitude said:

59 minutes ago, toadicus said:

so he should be in full control of your destiny soon. :)

You have no idea how terrified I am!

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Here is an initial beta release for 1.2:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/VOID/releases/tag/1.1.0-beta

@toadicus hasn't yet gotten the thread transferred to me yet, when he does, I'll be able to update the OP

I need feedback, this is a complicated system, and I think I got it working smoothly in 1.2.  Please check your logs for any issues, either by itself or inconjunction with other mods.

Thanks

Thanks Linux, I'm hoping to get a little seat time with it this evening, I'll let you know if anything seems odd.