[0.25] KDEX - Kerbal Dust Experiment v1.04 - outdated -

masTerTorch

logo2_zpsa93c9d38.png

I am not longer able to maintain this mod. @micha offered his support and he will keep KDEX up to date. 

The Kerbal Dust Experiment by masTerTorch is a replica of LADEEs LDEX instrument. It comes with an animated model and tons of results.

Inspired by the NASA mission LADEE. The objective of LADEE was to investigate the mysteries of the lunar atmosphere and the question of levitated lunar dust. It carried a scientific instrument called the Lunar Dust Experiment (LDEX). This instrument was an impact ionization dust detector. In this way it was possible to measure the density of dust particles.

Kerbals are known for impacts and collisions and since 0.22 they do science. KDEX combines impacts and science.

This part is giving you the opportunity to do more science.

Doing science the Kerbal way!

Content:

One new model. (KDEX - Can be unlocked in the tech tree. Node: Space Exploration)

Lots of results for the new experiment.

DOWNLOAD

Alternative DOWNLOAD (Kerbal Stuff)

-=CHANGELOG=-

22.10.2013 initial release - v1.0

22.12.2013 reworked for 0.23 compatibility - v1.01 changes

05.07.2014 added biomes and kas compatibility - v1.02 changes

15.11.2014 Housekeeping, nerfing and CKAN - v1.04 changes

Preview:

VAB

preview1_zps9857edf9.png

Results

preview2_zps2042b04e.png

For more information on LADEE and LDEX see next post.

Please share your thoughts.

I probably have to do some balancing, so let me know your opinions.

Also I am not a native speaker, if you encounter any mistakes in the description or in the results, let me know. (<- PM)

If you have ideas for new results pm me.

For science!

--

88x31.png

KDEX by masTerTorch is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Edited by masTerTorch
Micha is taking over

Neat! Is it integrated into the tech tree?

Of course! You can find the part in the Space Exploration node.

This looks cool. Is it compatible with the Sciencelog mod?

I haven´t looked into that mod yet. Are you talking about the Research & Development Overview by Synapse86?! See this

LINK.

Since it is only reading the persistent file it should work with all new science parts. Let me know if not.

Cheers...

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I am glad to see that you guys have fun with KDEX.

Hmm... Interesting...

Would you ever consider becoming part of the Cabana Corp. R&D's community-driven "Expanded SCIENCE!" Project?

You can read about it in the mods' thread (link in my signature).

Thank you for the offer. But I am starting a new job next month. I don´t believe I will have the time to help in a big project.

Can you make the rest of the LADEE probe?

Hmm I never considered to do the entire spacecraft. But perhaps I will do one or two of the key features. I am quite interested in the laser communication system "Lunar Laser Space Terminal (LLST)". We will see. If I start working on something new I will post it here for sure. I have to see how time consuming my new job is.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I am glad to see that you guys have fun with KDEX.

Thank you for the offer. But I am starting a new job next month. I don´t believe I will have the time to help in a big project.

You don't need to be helping Cabana Corp. as a whole, or be part of it. The thing is intended to be community-driven. The idea is that, instead of having a bunch of small "additions" of one-two experiments made by people, we cooperate and make the stuff into one big package with experiments compatible with each other and possibly even "working together" for better SCIENCE! results. Cabana Corp.'s own "Expanded SCIENCE!" Project is part of the larger Science Extended- Community Science Project.

Hmm I never considered to do the entire spacecraft. But perhaps I will do one or two of the key features. I am quite interested in the laser communication system "Lunar Laser Space Terminal (LLST)". We will see. If I start working on something new I will post it here for sure. I have to see how time consuming my new job is.

First thought when I read this would be a new communication part like the antenna or the satellite dish, but unlocked in a later tech tree. Perhaps a part that has a relatively high power draw (it is a laser, after all) but much larger packet size (they can transmit a lot of data quickly!) with a higher percentage of science value being transmitted thanks to the integrity of the signal. With one exception, that you must have line of sight to another LLST module! Kind of like how Remote Control worked with communication relays being needed.

First thought when I read this would be a new communication part like the antenna or the satellite dish, but unlocked in a later tech tree. Perhaps a part that has a relatively high power draw (it is a laser, after all) but much larger packet size (they can transmit a lot of data quickly!) with a higher percentage of science value being transmitted thanks to the integrity of the signal. With one exception, that you must have line of sight to another LLST module! Kind of like how Remote Control worked with communication relays being needed.

That sounds interesting. Though I think the packet/science loss during transmission is determined by the experiment itself, since it's the same regardless of antenna...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else has had the same issue, but when I try to access the actual context menu in-game, it doesn't even bring anything up. Action groups show everything, but clicking the action group button when the sim runs also doesn't actually do anything, no menu. Model shows up in VAB and when the game runs, but it doesn't...do anything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.