Dakitess Corporation - Duna Colonisation (Realism Attempt)

Dakitess

Hey everyone, this is going to be my first real contribution to this forum. I dare creating my own thread because I’m probably going to post a lot of things that would be too much in a dedicated thread such as “Module Base Creatin Kitâ€Â. Please just inform me if this is not convenient ;)

Also, as you probably already noticed, English is not my natural language, sorry for all the mistakes and limited vocable guys !

This thread is going to be dedicated to one of my favourite adventure : the colonization of Duna. How classic you may say… Yup ! But so fascinating ! Here are some requirements that I will try to respect :

- Full stock, as usual

- No debris !

- Realist launch : well, considering, stock… The goal is to launch normal payload that would accept a decent fairing, and coherent stages.

- Orbital construction : I’m a big fan of cruisers, mothership and stuff like that. So I’m gonna use some personal carriers, but I should be able to legitimate them by building them from A to Z ;)

I will use a narrative ellipsis to explain some facts that could not be performed withoud mods. For instance, kinda hard to get rigid orbital assemblies, because of the flexibility from docking ports. Well, you’ll see…

Do not hesitate to tell me if something sounds wrong !

FIRST STEP : CONSTRUCTION OF THE MIDDLE CARRIER

Middle Carrier Project belong to the growing category of Dakitess Corporation Carriers, and represent the DC-Intermediate Class, able to embed most of big payloads to any destination and back. It has been design to receive a column at his center, and use Traction instead of Propulsion to limit the structural wobbling.

Fully reusable, this carrier is a modular ship that will be able to carry any column respecting the DC-Standard Design, that will be presented after. This is the masterpiece of this program, to carry large payload and thus limit the number of interplanetary travels.

First Launch (x1) : Command module

The very first launch is dedicated to put in orbit the command module.

CscQlhm.png

eQfkOXD.png

This one is composed of a large command pod and all the classic navigation equipment, and give an access to a vast habitation module for the pilot to rest or for some transit passengers. At the bottom, a large docking port guarantee the attachment of columns. On the flanks, 4 junctions will allow the addition of structure that will receive the fuel tank and propulsion system.

Second Launch (x1) : Structural pylons

This second launch is made of 4 structural pylons useful for the construction :

3odGH2b.png

WHPTFKU.png

SNS64oP.png

05Wf1Aq.jpg

Each pylons is fully autonomous, and have electronic pod plus RCS control. The pilot inside the command module is guiding them remotely. During the operation, the large dock receive the global module to avoid any space drift ! Quickly, each element take place, and the Middle Carrier starts to get shape. When the operation is over, the head of the useless module is deorbited.

Third Launch (x4) : Lateral propulsion system

The four coming launch are the same, and aim to bring the propulsion system to the orbiting Middle Carrier :

lWHNn0u.png

S3igX2J.png

0FxbOFK.png

The nuclear engine is already attached to the orange tank to avoid any flexibility. The gravity turn and circularisation is mainly allowed thanks to 4 aerospike that are jettisoned for atmospheric reentry, letting the Nuke to finish the manoeuver. After docking, the lateral assembly still have half fuel, a good point that will limit the number of refueling travel !

Lots to come very soon, as everything is already done and just waiting for translation ;)

Edited by Dakitess

Back to continue this adventure !

MKYWRG5.png

This time, the 4 lateral propulsion system have been correctly placed ïÂÅ  Until now, 9 elements had been required to build it correctly.

Fourth Launch (x2) : Tankers

To gurantee all the DeltaV of this ship, we need to refuel it, of course. As the orange fuel tank was only half empty when docked, 2 tankers will be necessary :

HYOa82Y.png

TkBYiQO.png

KoZ9AC8.png

This tanker will allow you to bring a full orange tank without having to pump fuel in it. It has everything needed to be autonomous and the RCS are enough important to get back to earth after refueling. As shown on the last picture, a refuel had been organized before the addition of the last lateral tank.

Fifth Launch : The Space Welder !

Space Welder is the name giver to this little module, an IVA vehicle which aim to solidify and stabilize all the flexible links such as docking port, to obtain something truly functional.

QT9rKaC.png

hPLVIWc.png

qTrzPe1.jpg

4eOzOa9.jpg

IDYfCQU.png

It is composed of a light chassis, and an autonomous system of direction helped by RCS. There is one protected place for the pilot, who should appreciate the maneuverability of this small operational module. The RCS are not too much powerful, in order to guarantee precision in movement. The front engine represent the welding device, and the thrust given is neutralized by the exact same thruster at the opposite.

To finish the part dedicated to this module, we choose to balance the extra mass of the upper pilot block with an Ion Engine bellow the structure. This way, the autonomy of this vehicle is really important, and it can move from an orbit to another one to help welding every construction !

As a result of this operation, you can find the pictures bellow :

Final Middle Carrier

47PLHJa.png

EXJbnT5.png

Links are now reliable, and Engineers took profit of the “Space Welder†to bring back some compnents to improve the ship with solar panels, lights but especially structural struts to increase the stability of the whole system. Thus, absolutely nothing is moving while firing up, even with a huge payload at the center ïÂÅ 

You probably get it : this last version is made of a Single Launch, definitely not realistic. As presented in the first post, my goal is to organize the program with some realism, that is to say multiple “small†launch and docking, but these solutions still not allow to build something truly reliable in terms of stability, rigidity. I think this is an original and potentially interesting way to deal with it and take the best part from Fun and Realism, what do you think ? ^^

Next steps will be dedicated to Payload, that is to say the DC-Standard Column ! :D

Well thank you very much :) This is going to be, as presented, 100% mods free as I've always done before. Nothing againt Mods, just a question of Challenge :)

So, texts are not too much presents ? I find them useful to explains my goals and methodology but maybe people don't wany to read bad english xD

Next steps is coming this afternoon (well... In France at least ^^), and things are going to be more massives, but still realistic I Hope ;)

Edited by Dakitess

Well, I'm a bit late, but there is is :

Let’s present the Column Assemblies !

Fitting the shape of DC-Carriers, Column allow big stable payloads, with autonomous deployments inside, such as engine and RCS controls. They cover all the domains, from atmospheric landers to Habitation Cells, through Rovers or even material container… Everything is possible, and everything is compatible.

First Launch (x1) : Powered Landers Column

This first Launch is dedicated to 2 big landers, designed to land et take off from the majority of moons and planets, with or without atmosphere.

u8KqfJI.png

vrfDeXM.png

s4220JE.png

Their objective is to provide a round-trip between orbital station and ground. Thus, each modules contains an asparagus structure, allowing great efficiency compared to all-in-one system. 4 parachutes will guarantee a fuel-free descent when this is possible, and you find anything needed to get back to the station, such as computer for getting back without anyone on board and RCS control. 3 Kerbonauts can sit in it.

Deuxième envoi (x2) : Powered Lander + Habitation Column

This column is probably going to be more useful than the previous one. It includes one habitation module, which will be carried by a Lander equipped with laterals engines.

61846_Column_Powered_Lander_Habitation_V2_1.png

32553_Column_Powered_Lander_Habitation_V2_2.png

61921_Column_Powered_Lander_Habitation_V2_3.png

65534_Column_Powered_Lander_Habitation_V2_4.png

More relevant and versatile, this configuration is going to equip the first Middle Carrier journey. The lander will detach itself after first landing, and will land just near, perfectly able to come back to orbital station from a lot of celestial body. The habitation bloc will offer a secured place for 4 Kerbonauts, but the DC Corporation recommend only 2 members in each for comfortable situation.

In addition, the landers have decouplers to separate the pod from the engine system, in order to come back to Kerbin with the minimum needed if it’s necessary to economize fuel. Let’s remember that the 4 big lateral propulsion system of the Middle Carrier have one large dock on top, each !

On the pictures, 2 complete systems have been docked together to create a column able to carry 12 Kerbonauts, even if only 4 will board, plus the commander of the Middle Carrier.

As we do not really know how long are going to be the injections to escape Kerbin’s SOI, it has been decided for this first trip to add an “Escape Boosterâ€Â, designed to help the very first minutes and decrease the time of Injection to make an accurate maneuver:

Third Launch : Escape Booster

92056_Booster_de_sortie_1.png

67146_Booster_de_sortie_2.png

87435_Booster_de_sortie_3.png

80053_Booster_de_sortie_4.png

Completely based on the previous Tanker, one of the small difference is the addition of a Skipper that should be useful ^^

FIRST TRIP : POWERED LANDER + HABITATION

This is time to go, our first trop to Duna !

69855_20.png

54979_3.png

Slingshot using Mun, to get in Kerbol orbit with only 750 m/s of DeltaV.

78183_screenshot0.png

10419_screenshot1.png

Here we are, Duna ! Fuel tanks are reaaaaaally enough for round-trip Kerbin/Duna/Kerbin, and should be able to cruise anywhere in the Kerbol System with moderate Payload. Atmospheric breaking is going to be useful to save some fuel, if needed ! Final step, circularisation around 105000m.

33078_screenshot2.png

73995_screenshot5.png

Separation of the first group and way down to Duna ground. As we are going to bring a lot of things, we need a markers to spot where begin the injection and fall every time in the same place. Well, try to. This marker will be exactly a quarter of orbit before the ground destination, which is a brown crater. Thus, conditions should be repeatable !

81866_screenshot6.png

58604_screenshot8.png

31732_screenshot14.png

The upper part decouples from habitation module, and land right nearby. Well, 2 things are possible : drop the module habitation 1 meter above the ground and then land, or land everything and quietly make the second step. This option is easier of course, but need a flat ground because the structure is kinda tall and the center of gravity is high. Choose the best way with the circumstances ! :P

92323_screenshot15.png

Depending on how you manage the descend, lateral fuel reserve might appear tight even if enough. So mind to open the parachutes from the beginning, and proceed to some short and accurate burn. The first to break the velocity around 120 m/s before complete opening of chutes (in order to prevent any structural disaster…), and the second one to reduce the speed when touch down. You should have around a quarter of fuel lateral tank, at arrival, if things went okay ! They will be useful to start the first step of ascent back to orbit, before detaching when empty. Poodle will take over and be enough for all the next round-trip. Do not forget to refuel in orbit before coming back with people ;)

88897_screenshot19.png

56896_screenshot21.png

Ground Rendez-Vous with atmosphere ? Uuuh… KInda Hard ! 2 or 3 kilometers is okay, but approach under 300-500m is not that easy if you have to take care of fuel consumption !

Pilot definitely fall asleep after that amount of emotion…

To be continued, soon !

Edited by Dakitess
Addition of the first Trip :)

Today, I’m going to present a prototype, soberly named Gantry. It has been designed to be able to carry big loads and move them wherever you want, with precision. Something really important for the next steps of Duna Colonisation…

ZR7EkrP.png

Eg9z60I.jpg

BaoAiFM.png

During conception, precision is important to allow the quick dock and undock with the payload. The Rover is really tough, and will be able to deal with accidental ground without any problem, even in charge. To fit this condition, the container itself is high enough to avoid colliding the ground or obstacle. Without Payload, the vehicle looks impossible to destruct or damage, definitely stable, and the wheels had been reinforced to challenge any tough contacts, especially thanks to a slight angle that you might see.

Pictures above show the experimentation in real condition, and right now Engineers are dealing with separation of the different functional group to allow the shipping on Duna, of course.

This new step focuses on the shipping of the Gantry rover. As the Engineer managed to make a light structure, this second journey will also carry a DC-Standard Container.

First Launch (x1) : Structural Column plus Grantry’s Equipments

The entire Gantry as completely assembled is impossible to send on Duna. After testing the prototype, and next to a optimisation step, the global Gantry weights 12.05 tons. Pylons are pre-build (you can count them and compare, I did not cheat !) and equipment such as lights, wheels, battery, is stocked in two small containers. The total weight is about 16 tons, to embed tools and extra parts. Isn’t is realist this way ? :P

gvBPWw9.jpg

u8YoRq7.png

h0l6aLN.png

Having lots of parachutes, the descent will be helped by the re-entry engine, in order to avoid any failure caused by an important velocity when opening. After jettison, 6 small engines take over for final landing. Thus, one of the 2 containers has a slight amount of fuel to allow this final burn.

Second Launch (x1) : DC-Standard Container, 36 tons

As the Middle Carrier is great (Yeah ? ^^), we are goind to add one DC-Standard Container, the maximum payload that the Gantry can carry :

GTHCpYE.png

ujtviS1.jpg

VQ7P1ZT.png

Very massive, this container has a lot of parachutes but also a complete system of lateral propulsion, able to absorb a good quantity of DeltaV when going down, and brake this heavy package. This configuration does not allow a classic Launcher, that’s why engineers decided to create a large one. The docking port that the Gantry will use, is also the one needed for the shipping.

Tomorow, the second trip to Duna, after refuelling the Middle Carrier, which is back to Kerbin orbit !

Edited by Dakitess
Addition of some Launchs

this is great, finally someone who cares about realism !

Yes, because huge masses of asparagus orange tanks is realistic :P

That's a good idea to slingshot with the Mun. Ill have to try that on my next interplanetary mission!

Yep I agree, this is not fully about realism, but you know why : KSP does not allow it. If we had bigger tank diameter, then Asparagus would not be necessary, truly. Yes there is mods to do it, but I'm full stock ^^

Thanks by the way

EDIT : Well, want the rest of story ? I was kinda demotivated to continue it xD But just tell me, I could take the time to translate progressively the rest of it. This is maybe more interresting as the Base is going to grow up :)

Edited by Dakitess

Second Trip : Gantry Components and DC-Standard Container

Let’s go for this second journey of the Middle Carrier !

y34rCL8.png

gM5ArSy.png

Orbital Burn in two steps, Double slingshot Mun-Kerbin (on the way back, don’t know if you see what I mean ?) for best extraction from SOI.

SkTDhTj.png

NMutUiW.png

EjDcREb.png

In the surrounding of Duna, after alignment and altitude corrections, Middle Carrier is in place in the exact same orbit as before. We detach the Container and deorbitation is allowed by the lateral thruster. Then atmospheric re-entry, parachutes opening and landing about 3km far from the previous modules. No matter the distance, the Gantry Rover will carry it wherever you want, and it should be the perfect “in-condition†test.

ASxTlWf.png

wJRK6Kq.jpg

J2woZHd.png

fEcr4OO.png

Same thing, but this time with accuracy, the Gantry Components landed 220 meters near to the Engineers. Indeed, the package will need the equip to take shape, in order to finally build the Gantry Rover ! A too far landing would have been dangerous for Engineers, foot travel is not really recommended…

During the next step, we should find a fully functional Gantry Rover, ready to use, that should be able to recover the Container full of foods, equipment, tools and obviously beer !

Thanks to the delivery, Engineers started to assmbly everything.

UfmE1eR.png

After taking a look at the Direction Of Use, Kerbonauts seperate everything frome the package. They find the 8 long pylons and the 8 little ones, that are going to form the chassis. The docking port is naturally taken from the initial container, and rest of components where stocked in the 2 lateral containers.

WXYYhII.png

After half a week of work, the Gantry Rover was born !

2PcKZwX.png

It has a pride of place on the module spot by now, and should be used very soon, to get back the DC-Standard Container.

Did you saw my MarsOne Duna Colonization Project? I used a very difficult, but efficient method called Hoovering docking, you don't need any rover or whatever, you just hoover with you retro engines only a few pixels above the ground and dock the parts together.

AEX6oMx.png

This is what came out. Check it out in my signature! :D

JhZqeC0.png

Yup I read it, but I wanted to use a rover to assembly everything. I think that in the futur they will build this kind of utility vehicle to move different modules on Mars ground for example. This is cost effective and a wheels are well known technology, reliable.

Well, I had this idea of gantry rover (is it a good translation ? Something with a shape of a "bridge", to carry something in the middle, such as for the boat ?), and I wanted to give a try on Duna, on a concrete situation.

Remember about the DC-Standard Container ? This is time to get It back and experiment the Gantry Rover ! :D

4GjtLVl.png

The first journey presents a steep slope, and the Rover reach a cruising speed of 9 m/s. Empty and on flat surface, this velocity is about 13 m/s, kinda comfortable to cover several kilometres. The extra weight of the container help to balance the lack of gravity, that allow a better ground grip and good speed !

FWX34CZ.png

The hilly landscape does not allow a classical plus&play docking. You have to know that for such a mass to carry (about 40 tons), the 2 docking ports need to perfectly brush each other, to make the magnetism strong enough. Thus, a larger margin is not possible. When the ground is not flat, suspension of the rover will act on the slight margin between docking ports, which will collide each other. But everything has been planned : in such a situation, quite common, the container has to “bend on the kneesâ€Â, by retracting the front pair of legs. The Gantry Rover takes place, and we reactivate the legs, allowing the docking ! Yeah !

usCtO96.png

Next step, retracting all the legs : everything is working so far :D

Ao1VmkU.png

Back travel about 13 m/s, helped by the descending slope. Everything is okay, consolidation have been judiciously placed to limit the flexibility of the docking and potential balancing of the container. Mind to think of progressive braking, 2 or 3 seconds. Indeed, inertia is quite colossal regarding the global weight and it is impossible to reduce the speed only with the motor. One big braking is not a good idea, since you might fall over ^^ Same reasons, do not think about turning when over 14 m/s, you’ll need to get slower before. How normal when facing this big thing fully operational ! These are not real drawbacks, trust me, I’m proud of its reliability ;) The low position of the container guarantee a really nice centre of mass !

Now, container is in centre of the other modules, ready to furnish the equipment and food to the engineers ^^

Today a small mission, which consist in sending an automated Rover. It has a sit to allow exploration with a Kerbal, and avoid walking for kilometers, slowly and exposed to dangers. What is special regarding this shipping ? Well I tried to recreate a Curiosity-like landing, something functional and realist, with all the complete steps. This is the occasion to use a homemade heat shield, for this tiny payload that would suffer if exposed to the atmospheric reentry of Duna. Compared to containers, geometrically okay regarding reentry, a Rover deserve some attention !

‘I don’t know why, but I can’t find my launch pictures. Nothing really exciting, 2 different launch, one for the payload and the other one to dock an interplanetary propulsion system)

Third Journey : Rover - Intrepidity

vloqNin.png

When arrived to Duna, the 2 parts decouple. The payload presents docking port, cause initially I wanted to carry two of them or even more with the Middle Carrier, but I’ve been lazy and I would not have the use of them. So the interplanetary tank, designed to be only a one way system, has been able to come back to Kerbin. Well, why not…

BoUUyhR.png

After firing up the engines, the whole system jettison all the useless part, to give a clean and aerodynamic shield to meet the atmosphere.

vKyzy78.png

First step, the opening of the 4 small parachutes on top, to break the velocity.

fUoNjiT.png

Second step happen when the speed has decrease enough, when atmosphere does not represent a risk anymore. The lower part jettisons to show the wheels and prepare for landing. Parachutes continue to brake the module. (Sorry for this bad angle, things are quite stressful at this moment ^^)

6TG1PjJ.png

Third steps will separate the rover from the upper part of the remaining shield. At this moment, around 100 meters high, parachutes are fully open. 4 radial engine will take over, and have about 30 seconds of autonomy when powered to 10%. They will guarantee a soft landing with a control that parachutes cannot give.

msZXpRx.png

In the final step, you’ll see the Skycrane jettisoning far away, after landing, with the rest of fuel. A command pod can be added to make it land safely, but this was not the goal here.

IKEdbb8.png

MX4r2I0.png

Automated, the rover has a sit to welcome a tired Kerbonautes ! Or more generally any scientist who need to move further than 200 meters. It is parked in the base, after having drove 1.7 km, with a cruise velocity of 9 m/s.

Voila :P

What do you think of this small mission ? I have to say that it was not easy to put everything in a really compact heat shield, since collision bug can occur. Without clipping or mods, let’s say that it was not trivial, at least to me ^^

Now that the engineers have equipment and stuff and had built the necessary infrastructure, we can go ahead and start the real colonization step, through the establishment of a complete habitation system, comfortable and structured. Naturally, this will need modular assembly, that the Gantry Rover should perform easily !

Fourth Trip : Habitation - Main

First and unique launch (x1) : Habitation - Main

Firstly, a lighter Middle Carrier has been designed, nicknamed “Half†(you’ll see why), to handle the shipping of some small column that doesn’t need a massive carrier. Let’s remember that the Middle Carrier is able to perform a round-trip to Jool even with the heavier column, from now.

BgnGn63.png

0t6Ye5n.png

Lift off of the central part of the future Habitation Complex. It docks by the bottom and let see the general architecture : 2 vertical habitation blocs, which lead to a quadruple large docking distribution. At the top, the control pod offers a maximum sunbeam exposition and gives a beautiful view on the Duna’s Sky. At its base, 4 engines give the guarantee of an efficient braking and soft landing. The fuel tank are large enough to allow a Landing, then a new lift off and a final touch down, if it necessary, to move and find a better place for example.

Finally, let’s go for Duna with the lightest payload from now.

NjlB01V.png

sg3ZvMB.png

CzrKDWR.png

0tfJ2Zx.png

Landing step : parachutes open and reveal their efficiency, in conjunction with the 4 engines. Right before, the little rover Intrepidity found a good place, flat and horizontal, about 2.5 kilometers far from the base (to avoid the framerate drop…). On the ground, this central part deploy its equipment and eject the small top tower. This one contained an RCS system to help the landing stability on the most efficient position, and some parachutes addition to liberate some space on the module’s flanks.

Actually, it appears that this Habitation Central Tower would be able to join a Low Duna Orbit… This should be able to turn into a scape emergency system capable to welcome 8 Kerbonauts plus a pilot.

This is some impressive work! I'm only using stock parts and have thus far managed to crash a number of ships on Duna after wrongly estimating the thickness of atmosphere, but I will continue! Really good stuff - keep with stock parts, everything else is cheating :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.