[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

You shouldn't need to shut down any experiment when quitting the game. Did you have eurekas in the experiment when you left? Are you sure you started the experiment in the first place? If its a space station did it stay at the altitude (low/high orbit)? Are you sure you didn't detach the experiment after starting it? Do you have enough kerbals(3) in the science lab? If you answered "yes" to all these then it must be a bug, possibly conflicting with another mod.

Taken from first post "

Make sure your station stays in the same location for the duration of the experiment. If in orbit, this means entirely above or below the low/high orbit altitude threshold, which is 250km around Kerbin. If the experiment moves to a new location prior to finalization, it will be aborted and you'll have to start it over."

@ethernet, this mod is super cool, it gives more of a reason to build space stations and moon bases besides just a refuel outpost. I have a small minmus colony made up of 6 science labs, 4 of them are within a few km of each other and they are each in different biomes. Can't wait for some custom models for the parts, keep up the great work!

Hi there!

I got a quite wierd problem: Some parts of this Mod and others, which already should have been successfully researched, aren't shown in the VAB and SPA in Career-Mode, but are available in Sandbox-Mode. For Example: I can use the Space Lab from this Mod but i doesn't get the Grow Plant Experiment. Both should be in the same Node of the Techtree, but only the Lab is shown and can be researched. This doesn't only apply for this mod, but for others too.

Anybody an idea what could be the cause?

There isn't a good way to do power consumption while the station is unattended; this is why the Cyclotron doesn't work while unattended. But I want the Science Lab and Zoology Bay to work unattended to allow for long-duration experiments, so they can't depend on electric charge for their functionality.

I don't know that I'd call that a limiting factor for the Science Lab and Zoology Bay -- many of us would be happy to assume the "role-play" factor of trying to ensure that we have sufficient electric charge. I can see why (with the massive power consumption) you've made it a requirement for the Cyclotron, but I think you'd be okay running moderate power requirements for the Science Lab and Zoology Bay.

1. For those that are inclined to time-warp/unattented, it doesn't provide any additional game-balance limitations, so no harm, no foul.

2. For those of us that are inclined to at least sit on our station running experiments and/or make sure our station can make a pass across the "dark side" of its orbit without running down to zero before jumping to warp/unattended, it does provide an additional limitation/requirement.

3. For those of us that like role-play, it provides an additional reason for our stations to have those massive solar panel arrays. :)

I think #2 and #3 add "fun", and as long as you aren't powering UP the science return in exchange for the new power requirements, you don't have any game-balance issues.

Regarding the low-orbit / high-orbit crossover, maybe you just want to kick up a warning dialog anytime the user starts an experiment on a vessel whose Apoapsis or Periapsis is in a different orbit? E.g., the 249-251 crossover, but equally useful if I'm on an escape trajectory or an oblique ellipse on some other planet? User can ignore or continue the experiment, with the warning dialog reminding them not to count on an unattended run of this experiment.

Is it a known bug for kerbals to be stuck inside the modules? I have a kerbal whose hatch is obstructed when clearly it is free of any nearby objects. I sent a rescue craft to rendezvous because originally there was not enough room to bring him back, though now he's stuck and can't get out. :( Picture below

That being said, I've had lots of fun with this mod, so thanks for making it! :)

yof6Rbm.png

Now that someone bumped this thread and KSO station parts were realesed i have idea...

Maybe some KSO models, rescaled to 2,5m coudl be used instead of placeholders that station science currently uses?

I had the same problem until I re-installed it and put the science dir into the gamedata dir....ie ....GameData/StationScience...hope this helps.

Thx for the tip, but nope, didn't worked.

I have been reading on the deploy bug in this mod and I think I am seeing that bug ..

After reading all that was said in here I started looking at what i have mod wise and found that I have a ton of ScienceDefs.cfg files. From the sound of the bug it sounds like the "deploy" button on my gui is probably caused by one of my ScienceDef files .. the question I have is what can a guy do to figure out WHICH one(s) cause the problem?

I have opened my KSP.log and see almost ever one of the "Def" files called. The only way I can think of is to disconnect the parts from my station that have anything to do with anything other then the station science mod then removing those mods and then seeing which breaks it... i HOPE that isn't the solution.

ideas?

figured it out. it was duplicate mods ... one was kdex101 and the other was masTerTorch they had the same mod same part and same part definitions.. took the one out that I put in last and the problem went away.

Edited by positivewun
typo

Just wanted to confirm, is this still in development?

I'm working on models, but it's slow going.

Beyond that, I consider it essentially complete, and doing what I set out to do. I don't expect to add major new functionality, but I'll keep making sure it remains compatible.

I'm working on models, but it's slow going.

Beyond that, I consider it essentially complete, and doing what I set out to do. I don't expect to add major new functionality, but I'll keep making sure it remains compatible.

Can't wait for new models, if only because of the occasional weirdness that welds bring. This mod totally changed the way I do science, especially early game.

With your permission I'm considering making a series of models better suited for my hideously blocky mod.

If you need help on 3d modelling let me know.(I do possess skills beyond just the hideously blocky) I'd like to see this do well either way.

With your permission I'm considering making a series of models better suited for my hideously blocky mod.

You should license your part.cfg files for those parts under CC-SA (since I believe they would count as derivative of my work), but the models could remain proprietary like the rest of your work if that's your preference. And of course, you can redistribute my plugin if you want.

You should license your part.cfg files for those parts under CC-SA (since I believe they would count as derivative of my work), but the models could remain proprietary like the rest of your work if that's your preference. And of course, you can redistribute my plugin if you want.

Great. I'm still working on other tasks at the moment but it is good to know the scope of my plans before I start. Also I had never considered putting .cfg files under any license, I should probably update my post and just blanket the whole thing w/ under CC-SA.

Ok so I used the fustek science module Model for the zoo and the spectrometer, I used the KSP science bay from .23 and added the science bay from this mod to it, then I used another part I found and made that the cyclone thingy. here are screens the big thing is the cyc. thingy

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245927902

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245927934

But my zoo says no kibbal I looked over the code many times I don't think I missed anything also the other parts I changed model for from this mod work fine

I just slapped it together and hyper edit it to orbit to test things as you can see I didn't mess with the kibbal storage pods yet and they are attached to the side of the zoo

I have not noticed any missing kerbals, DamionFoster.

I do have some questions about some of the experiments. Seems like some of them you can't remove the data from, and if you try to deorbit the experiment it tells you it's been ruined, so your only option is to transmit the data. It this intentional or is there some way we are supposed to use these experiments multiple times?

If you need help on 3d modelling let me know.(I do possess skills beyond just the hideously blocky) I'd like to see this do well either way.

Really looking forward to this, this mod needs some proper modules.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.