[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

I was trying to use some of the parts for this mod recently, but I kept scrapping my designs because they were just too heavy to be of use... then I realized that it was the parts from this mod that were doing it. The experiments were fine, but all the labs and equipment were incredibly heavy. I checked the config files for them, but they all read around 1 ton or less, yet in game they ranged from 30 to 60 tons or so. Is this an error, or is this a feature of career that I hadn't realized? Or are the modules just that heavy? If they are, I would recommend lowering the weight. I want to get as much science as I can out of a ship, and I don't want to waste my time trying to ship and assemble a 500 ton station over Duna, only to get a little science.

However, if it is a feature of career, with weight decreasing as you upgrade the modules though the tree, a.) that is brilliant, and b.) sandbox still shows the original weight. If that is the case, though, I still think the starting weight is a bit to heavy for when the parts come in in the tech tree.

Don't get the wrong idea, I love this mod. I just think the weight could be scaled back a bit.

I was trying to use some of the parts for this mod recently, but I kept scrapping my designs because they were just too heavy to be of use... then I realized that it was the parts from this mod that were doing it. The experiments were fine, but all the labs and equipment were incredibly heavy. I checked the config files for them, but they all read around 1 ton or less, yet in game they ranged from 30 to 60 tons or so. Is this an error, or is this a feature of career that I hadn't realized? Or are the modules just that heavy? If they are, I would recommend lowering the weight. I want to get as much science as I can out of a ship, and I don't want to waste my time trying to ship and assemble a 500 ton station over Duna, only to get a little science.

However, if it is a feature of career, with weight decreasing as you upgrade the modules though the tree, a.) that is brilliant, and b.) sandbox still shows the original weight. If that is the case, though, I still think the starting weight is a bit to heavy for when the parts come in in the tech tree.

Don't get the wrong idea, I love this mod. I just think the weight could be scaled back a bit.

I have my own MM files that tweak the specs of the station parts to fit how I want to play. I would suggest doing the same.

I was trying to use some of the parts for this mod recently, but I kept scrapping my designs because they were just too heavy to be of use... then I realized that it was the parts from this mod that were doing it. The experiments were fine, but all the labs and equipment were incredibly heavy. I checked the config files for them, but they all read around 1 ton or less, yet in game they ranged from 30 to 60 tons or so. Is this an error, or is this a feature of career that I hadn't realized? Or are the modules just that heavy?

They are heavy by design, so that the Science is challenging to get.

I'm not sure what you mean on the part cfg masses, though. Maybe you're looking at the Kibbal Storage parts? They have a 1 tonne or less mass, but the Kibbal they contain is quite massive. The Science Lab, Spectrometron, and Zoology Bay each have a high mass (20 tonne+) listed in the part cfg.

If they are, I would recommend lowering the weight. I want to get as much science as I can out of a ship, aand I don't want to waste my time trying to ship and assemble a 500 ton station over Duna, only to get a little science.

A full station (about 150 tonnes) in Duna orbit can generate over 35,000 Science. That's enough to unlock the entire tree three times over.

This is actually quite a bit more than intended, and will be scaled back some in the next release.

Edited by ethernet

They are heavy by design, so that the Science is challenging to get.

I just think the parts are a little too heavy.When the parts first come in in the tech tree, most can barely lift 20 tons, much less assemble a station that can use the parts together. I might try again soon, however.

I'm not sure what you mean on the part cfg masses, though. Maybe you're looking at the Kibbal Storage parts? They have a 1 tonne or less mass, but the Kibbal they contain is quite massive. The Science Lab, Spectrometron, and Zoology Bay each have a high mass (20 tonne+) listed in the part cfg.

I feel dumb... yes, I was in fact looking at the kibble can... I thought I had clicked the spectrometer. I might try scaling the weight back a bit in the config, just to see if it seems more balanced.

A full station (about 150 tonnes) in Duna orbit can generate over 35,000 Science. That's enough to unlock the entire tree three times over.

This is actually quite a bit more than intended, and will be scaled back some in the next release.

That does seem like a lot... I might have to try that... if I can build a station in the first place. (Even without your mod, I've never been great at assembling stations, and because of all my modz, my game crashes after every flight.)

Tested it. Nothing wrong so far. except for the fact that the attachotron only attaches linearly

That's working as intended. It's one of the several reasons why it's inferior to the stock docking ports, to justify its lower tech placement.

Unfortunately, when I tried to transfer my copy of KSP to Steam, it failed, leaving me unable to download from either the website or Steam. Until I can play the update, I'm not going to be able to test and rebalance the part funds costs, which I'd imagine don't fit well currently. I didn't put much thought into the current costs.

I do have all the models done now, so as soon as I can actually play the new update, and make sure everything works and is balanced, I'll be releasing the new update. I would suggest not using Station Science on a new save for the time being. The new models won't be retroactive to existing saves.

That's working as intended. It's one of the several reasons why it's inferior to the stock docking ports, to justify its lower tech placement.

Unfortunately, when I tried to transfer my copy of KSP to Steam, it failed, leaving me unable to download from either the website or Steam. Until I can play the update, I'm not going to be able to test and rebalance the part funds costs, which I'd imagine don't fit well currently. I didn't put much thought into the current costs.

I do have all the models done now, so as soon as I can actually play the new update, and make sure everything works and is balanced, I'll be releasing the new update. I would suggest not using Station Science on a new save for the time being. The new models won't be retroactive to existing saves.

Why don't you ask those of us who do have the game to find appropriate part costs? It would save time and work for you!

I am really excited for the update to this, as I have used your mod for many versions - Its awesome.

Thank you, excited for the .24 release!

In a future update, it would be awesome to have contracts which require certain Station Science experiments to be done in certain places, or to construct science stations around certain locations.... etc.

Can't wait!

Good news! Got my Steam key, so I should be good to release sometime tonight.

In a future update, it would be awesome to have contracts which require certain Station Science experiments to be done in certain places, or to construct science stations around certain locations.... etc.

Yeah, definitely. That's been my plan. Won't be in this release, but hopefully soon.

Version 0.9 is now available. This version includes:

• Added complete set of models. Any further changes to these models will be backwards compatible.
  • Rebalanced cost, mass, and Science output. Masses are generally a bit lower, but Science is dramatically lower, and experiments no longer give Science if repeated in the same location. This is anticipation of the next update which will add contracts support, that will include additional Science rewards.
  • The old parts are deprecated, and are not automatically updated to the new models. If you require them to play an old save, see the README.txt for instructions.

Delete the old StationScience folder if you're updating from an older version.

Version 0.9 is now available. This version includes:

• Rebalanced cost, mass, and Science output. Masses are generally a bit lower, but Science is dramatically lower, and experiments no longer give Science if repeated in the same location. This is anticipation of the next update which will add contracts support, that will include additional Science rewards.

So in order to have our likely large lumbering space lab complex we now need to build it in orbit and then... move it places? I mean it sounds manageable, but building a large space complex above say Kerbin, just to run each experiment once, then push it to the moon and repeat, seems a bit odd.

So in order to have our likely large lumbering space lab complex we now need to build it in orbit and then... move it places? I mean it sounds manageable, but building a large space complex above say Kerbin, just to run each experiment once, then push it to the moon and repeat, seems a bit odd.

With regard to what you're saying, nothing's really changed. It's just that instead of sticking four or five duplicates of an experiment pod on a craft to get the full Science from that experiment, you only need to use one. The "reusability" the previous versions had was essentially meaningless; a matter of more clicking, not more flying.

Once Contract support is in, you'll probably want to build more stations in various places, instead of just building one and moving it around. You'll get contracts to take specific pods to specific places, and if you happen to already have a station there, that contract will be much easier.

Honestly I'm so glad this mod got proper textures. I love stations and this gave me a reason to build one but it was just hard to look at. Great job, keep it up and this one might be my new favorite!

I don't know if this has been reported yet. I'm trying to play KSP, but it hangs on loading 'StationScience/Parts/StnSciZoo/lab-emissive'.

First report of this. Are you running other mods? 32- or 64-bit KSP?

Hey, im having a problem that you guys might be able to help me out with, my game crashes from time to time and when i checked the error log its says "mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)

in module mono.dll at 0023:10118f0a. " This started happening after i installed this mod, is it a way to fix this? I really like the idea of this mod and would love to use it.

I think that it looks a little strange that new models dont have any hatches, just gray wall on the ends :)

But overally these look great, especially cyclotron.

btw i think link to materials science and fuel science expnsions shoudl be added to op post.

Sadly, add me to the list of people experiencing crashes on 0.24 with 64-bit. KSP loads fine all the way to the menu. Attempting to load or create a new game crashes KSP. It might be a conflict between DMagic Orbital Science and this one on science definitions, perhaps? The crashes stop and KSP gets past the menu fine when I remove DMagic altogether. Two mods, attempting to access the same science functions, might be having a head-on?

And actually, on a further note, combining Station Science with Materials Science seems to result in a crash, again. This mod does not seem to want to play nice with other science mods loaded on x64 KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.