[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

I like that this mod is tied into the contracts system, however, I find myself in the situation that my contracts menu is full of do experiment x orbiting Duna, or Gilly, or Jool, and I don't have the tech to get out there, and if I cancel the contracts it generates new ones, just as far, and I'm getting almost no stock contracts{because there's so may mod contracts in the list?} the end result being my space program has stalled out due to lack of funds, and no completable contracts. Perhaps there's a way to fine tune the contracts so it steps up less sharply and spams out fewer of your custom ones? :(:)

Could you PM me your persistence file?

I'm a bit confused, and not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have left the plant growth experiment running in orbit, connected to a powered and crewed TH-NKR science lab. After activating the experiment, over time it has generated eurekas, and is currently full at 50/50. However, when I right click the pod, there is no "finalize" option, just the temperature, eurekas resource display, and an option labelled "deploy" which instantly disappears when clicked, doing nothing.

When I do this, the debug console displays the following 20 or 30 times in a row:

[ERR 19:21:53.290] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id plantGrowth

[ERR 19:21:53.291] [R&D]: No Experiment definition found with id progradeKuarqs

Any idea what could be going on? I can give more details if needed.

Do you have other mods installed? This happens if another loads ScienceDefs that clash with the stock ones.

Do you have other mods installed? This happens if another loads ScienceDefs that clash with the stock ones.

I do have some, yes. Hmm. I don't suppose you know how I could go about trying to make them not conflict? Or is that not possible?

Edited by Tokamak

I do have some, yes. Hmm. I don't suppose you know how I could go about trying to make them not conflict? Or is that not possible?

It may be, if you can tell me what they are.

If it's one that totally replaces the stock ScienceDefs (like the community alternative experiment messages pack), you can rename the stock GameData/Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs.cfg to something that doesn't end in ".cfg" to prevent it from being loaded. Otherwise, I'd have to know more details.

if I cancel the contracts it generates new ones, just as far, and I'm getting almost no stock contracts{because there's so may mod contracts in the list?}

Thanks for the PM.

When I tried your save, I was able to decline the Station Science contracts repeatedly, until there were none left in the list, and "test part" experiments took their place. It took about a half dozen declines. Are you not seeing this same behavior?

I'm also getting missions to place stations around Jool, even though I haven't been to the Mun yet. Also 11 of 15 contracts are station related, seems a bit much.

It's because your reputation is so high. And their not "Exceptional" for nothing! Try declining the Station contracts, and you should see others take their place.

I will look into reducing their preponderance, though.

It's because your reputation is so high. And their not "Exceptional" for nothing! Try declining the Station contracts, and you should see others take their place.

Could you also make it so they follow the stock contracts checking to see the player has reached orbit of the planet/moon before giving contracts to send a station part there? Like the player doesn't get contracts for stuff in Kerbin's SOI until they've sent something into orbit. No "test part in in escape trajectory of the Mun" contracts until the player has sent something to the MUn.

The basic infinite duration research contracts (orbit kerbin, land on mun, land on minmus...) seem to be the key to unlocking future contract options.

Thanks for the PM.

When I tried your save, I was able to decline the Station Science contracts repeatedly, until there were none left in the list, and "test part" experiments took their place. It took about a half dozen declines. Are you not seeing this same behavior?

Not really, mostly its just the mod contracts. I get a few basic ones, but its just overwhelmingly your mods contracts. Its not really a bug or anything, but it can be annoying to have to reject 30-40 contracts to get one I can actually do.

I'm not convinced this is a problem. The contract duration should give plenty of time to unlock it. Why shouldn't unlocking tech be part of completing contracts?

Now understanding its your mod and you have creative control...

I stongly disagree with the current contract offer approach, it is not good game design:

a) It is inconsistent with stock (blocking up the list with contract for places I have not been and

techs I do not have).

B) It is inconsistent with other contract mods. (Extra Contracts only offers missions

to places in reach and for tech you have).

c) It is inconsistent with successive revelation, it introduces all techs and destinations

right at the beginning.

d) The current User Experience is horrid (as it stands now you spam the contracts list with

lots of contracts for places I have not been and tech I don't have.) I have to repeatedly drop

lots of science station contracts to get to anything else.

[A major part of this is not something you can fix, stock needs to have some

kind of contract filtering so you can quickly exclude offers you do not want...]

The mod really needs to filter what it offers based on tech available and

locations opened.

If you really like your current design and refuse to change or

if it is too hard to fix; can you at least offer a config option

that will let us turn off your contracts altogether? I am more than happy to pay for

my station science with funds I get elsewhere. But the current out-of-context contract spam is not good.

As an additional request - when playing with a construction time mod or house rule construction times,

your contracts of of short enough duration to be impossible to meet (once again - unlike stock contracts).

Would you please make your mission time configurable via a multiplier or something so that those

using such mods can adjust the lengths appropriately.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

They should be less frequent now, and will no longer target not-yet-reached celestial bodies, or require not-yet-unlocked experiment parts.

This is great, thank you.

That was my only concern with your mod, everything else is fine.

im having some trouble with my craft. i got an asteroid, docked a science vessel to it and then docked a few plant experiments. however these dont seem to register, they are docked to a stock built adapter unit which is in turn docked to the science vessel, which, when right clicked, says no experiments. so do they have to be stacked or directly docked? i double checked my altitudes, all over 250k kerbin orbit

im having some trouble with my craft. i got an asteroid, docked a science vessel to it and then docked a few plant experiments. however these dont seem to register, they are docked to a stock built adapter unit which is in turn docked to the science vessel, which, when right clicked, says no experiments. so do they have to be stacked or directly docked? i double checked my altitudes, all over 250k kerbin orbit

You're using the latest KSP (0.24.2) and latest version of this mod (v1.1), right? A version mismatch can cause this exact problem.

If that's not it, maybe the asteroid is causing problems. I never thought to test with an asteroid station. If you're still having problems, can you send me your persistence file?

i reinstalled to be sure, its the current version, and i also tried a sandbox mode throwing pieces together without an asteroid base, same result. how do i send a persistence file? just copy and paste the whole thing i nthe quick reply box?

i reinstalled to be sure, its the current version, and i also tried a sandbox mode throwing pieces together without an asteroid base, same result. how do i send a persistence file? just copy and paste the whole thing i nthe quick reply box?

Try using http://dropbox.com or http://pastebin.com/ and PM a link to your upload. Also, please send me your KSP.log file.

G'day ethernet,

I took the liberty of creating a "Connected Living Spaces" config file for your Station Science mod. If you'd like to review it, it's here.

Cheers,

- Micha.

Cool!

Hadn't thought of the Cyclotron and Spectrometron as containing passable habitable space, but that's up to you.

Cool!

Hadn't thought of the Cyclotron and Spectrometron as containing passable habitable space, but that's up to you.

Thanks! I've removed these two components from the config as per your suggestion.

G'day ethernet,

I took the liberty of creating a "Connected Living Spaces" config file for your Station Science mod. If you'd like to review it, it's here.

Cheers,

- Micha.

Great, thank you!

And: I think that the modules of this mod get unlocked way to early in the tech tree. But that might be just me…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.