[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

You can use the Debug menu (alt-F12) to spawn contracts. Go to Contracts, then Add, then scroll down and look for StnSciContract, and try pressing the E button until the Plant Growth appears again. You can then reject any others you spawned if you want.

That's the ticket. Thanks - nice one!

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the parts functioning? I'm running KSP 0.23 on a x64 system and the OP says that the readme should contain all the information I need to make the mod backwards compatible... but the readme file isn't that much helpful as it only says to use the oldparts zip.

Does anyone know what I have to do to get the parts functioning? I'm running KSP 0.23 on a x64 system and the OP says that the readme should contain all the information I need to make the mod backwards compatible... but the readme file isn't that much helpful as it only says to use the oldparts zip.

Backwards compatible with old saves, that is. Not old versions of the game. You can try this old version, but I can't make any guarantees, and you'll get the old version of the contracts that'll spam your listing, and have short expiration times.

KSP 0.24.1 broke this mod, and to fix this mod (in 1.0.1), I had to sever compatibility with older versions of KSP.

edit: Just noticed you said 0.23, not 0.24, which doesn't have contracts. In that case, try this one which has no contract support at all, but has the complete models. If that doesn't work, try this one that doesn't have the new models, but definitely worked with 0.23.

Edited by ethernet

Version 1.2 released, with the following changes:

• Dramatically increased Funds rewards (e.g., 300K for Plant Growth at Kerbin) for the first time you do a given experiment at a given location. Repeats give a bit more Funds than previously (e.g., 10K for Plant Growth at Kerbin).
  • Slight increase in Science rewards from contracts.
  • Reformatted requirements a bit to match the "hierarchy" style the stock ones use. Should be no change in functionality.
  • You can now force lights to stay on or stay off from the right click menu, in addition to the current default behavior.

Note: old contracts will continue to have the same payouts, and the wording/layout might look a little weird (they'll be missing the "top-level" objective), but they should continue to work as before. Newly generated ones, even on old saves, will have the new payouts and formatting.

Edited by ethernet

Great mod! Thanks for your work! :)

I have a question though. I put a science station up at Duna (somehow I always end up at that red dustball). But the contract menu doesnt spit out any science missions for Duna. Am I just unlucky and need to keep clicking? Or is Duna supposed to not be science-worthy... I keep getting plenty of Ike contracts. Maybe I'll just push the station to over there...

EDIT: nvm, I just installed the new version and got a contract for Duna right away. :)

Edited by TrooperCooper

I found a bug with MCE2(3D) and StationScience:

Created a new game with standard roster, built a random part and tried to attach a StationScience lab/ Zoology Bay. MCE hires a Kerbal and then this happens:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at MissionControllerEC.MissionControllerEC.hireKerbals (.ProtoCrewMember pc, KerbalType pc1, KerbalType pc2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
at EventData`3[ProtoCrewMember,ProtoCrewMember+KerbalType,ProtoCrewMember+KerbalType].Fire (.ProtoCrewMember data0, KerbalType data1, KerbalType data2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoCrewMember.set_type (KerbalType value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalRoster.HireApplicant (.ProtoCrewMember ap, Double UT) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalRoster.DefaultCrewForVessel (.ConfigNode vesselNode, Boolean autoHire) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.ResetCrewAssignment (.ConfigNode craftNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.UpdatePartMode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

After that I can't attach the Lab/Zoology bay (only removal possible).

NullReferenceException  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:Find (string)
at UnityEngine.Transform.FindChild (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.FindModelComponents[Renderer] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.highlight (Color highlightColor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.highlightRecursive (Color highlightColor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.highlightRecursive (Color highlightColor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.SetHighlight (Boolean active) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.OnMouseEnter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UnityEngine.HitInfo:SendMessage(String)
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:SendEvents(Int32, HitInfo)
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32, Int32)
(Filename: Line: -1)

If the root part was from StationScience too, removal of the root part is not possible. Sometimes the game crashes after that :(

Postet that in the MCE forum thread too.

I found a bug with MCE2(3D) and StationScience:

Created a new game with standard roster, built a random part and tried to attach a StationScience lab/ Zoology Bay. MCE hires a Kerbal and then this happens:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object  at MissionControllerEC.MissionControllerEC.hireKerbals (.ProtoCrewMember pc, KerbalType pc1, KerbalType pc2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
at EventData`3[ProtoCrewMember,ProtoCrewMember+KerbalType,ProtoCrewMember+KerbalType].Fire (.ProtoCrewMember data0, KerbalType data1, KerbalType data2) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ProtoCrewMember.set_type (KerbalType value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalRoster.HireApplicant (.ProtoCrewMember ap, Double UT) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalRoster.DefaultCrewForVessel (.ConfigNode vesselNode, Boolean autoHire) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.ResetCrewAssignment (.ConfigNode craftNode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.UpdatePartMode () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

After that I can't attach the Lab/Zoology bay (only removal possible).

NullReferenceException  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:Find (string)
at UnityEngine.Transform.FindChild (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.FindModelComponents[Renderer] () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.highlight (Color highlightColor) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.SetHighlight (Boolean active) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Part.OnMouseEnter () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.GameObject:SendMessage(String, Object, SendMessageOptions)
UnityEngine.HitInfo:SendMessage(String)
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:SendEvents(Int32, HitInfo)
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32, Int32)
(Filename: Line: -1)

If the root part was from StationScience too, removal of the root part is not possible. Sometimes the game crashes after that :(

Postet that in the MCE forum thread too.

Loaded both mods by themselves into my test world and have not been able to reproduce this. By Lab/Zoology bay do you mean the F-Rry Zoology Bay?

All the hire does in MCE is look for a kerbal to be added using KSP Event.

watching for event

GameEvents.onKerbalTypeChange.Add(this.hireKerbals);

After event is fired.

public void hireKerbals(ProtoCrewMember pc, ProtoCrewMember.KerbalType pc1, ProtoCrewMember.KerbalType pc2)
{
if (pc1 == ProtoCrewMember.KerbalType.Applicant && pc2 == ProtoCrewMember.KerbalType.Crew)
{
Debug.LogWarning("Kerbal Was Hired name is " + pc.name);
StringBuilder Hiremessage = new StringBuilder();
Hiremessage.AppendLine("You Just Hired " + pc.name);
Hiremessage.AppendLine();
Hiremessage.AppendLine("You hired him for Total of: " + settings.HireCost + " Funds.");
Hiremessage.AppendLine(pc.name + " Says he will server your space Agency proud!");
MessageSystem.Message m = new MessageSystem.Message("Hired Recruit", Hiremessage.ToString(), MessageSystemButton.MessageButtonColor.GREEN, MessageSystemButton.ButtonIcons.MESSAGE);
MessageSystem.Instance.AddMessage(m);
Funding.Instance.Funds -= settings.HireCost;
}

on destroy

GameEvents.onKerbalTypeChange.Remove(this.hireKerbals);

Thats it. If your using a large amount of mods and 64 bit KSP. I highly suggest using 32bit KSP. 64 bit KSP is unstable enough without adding large amounts of mods to it.

Also you should post the whole OutputLog file, picking and choosing null references might not point to a problem earlier in the code that you missed and didn't post.

Edited by malkuth

I tested it on a fresh KSP install without any additional mods and 32bit.

Here is the complete output_log.txt

And this happens:

You actually have 3 mods installed. MCE. Station science and module manager. Whats module manager doing since Station science and MCE doesn't need it? Still can't reproduce this problem. And I do the same exact thing you did in video.

Oh and you have a massive amount of NRE's going on in your Log File. Including Module Manager doing a whole bunch of crazy things I have no idea what.

Your very first Exception (which is worse then an NRE)

InvalidProgramException: Assembly: ModuleManager.2.2.1 at location: D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleManager.2.2.1.dll is not in the expected assembly. Code has been copied and this will cause problems.
at ModuleManager.SaveGameFixer.RunTypeElection (System.Type targetCls, System.String assemName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Can you please remove whatever it is Module Manager is doing and try again?

If I was to guess what was going on, I would say Module manager failed to load correctly and is Reloading whatever its doing on everyScene change. This is a problem! The logs show that module manager seems to be doing this every time you change scenes.

Now If module manager being removed does not fix this then try this.

Do me a favor, just to test and remove mce from this issue, can you please hire your kerbals for you have 4 of them? Then see if the problem still happens? If it does then the problem is NOT something to do with kerbals being added to your roster (Which is totally vanilla KSP). Again MCE does nothing in this but look for an event. that event is kerbals being added to your roster. And since I can't reproduce this on my end I have no idea whats going on. Sorry. the only difference between what I did and you got is that you have Module Manager doing something. And I don't.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by malkuth

Backwards compatible with old saves, that is. Not old versions of the game. You can try this old version, but I can't make any guarantees, and you'll get the old version of the contracts that'll spam your listing, and have short expiration times.

KSP 0.24.1 broke this mod, and to fix this mod (in 1.0.1), I had to sever compatibility with older versions of KSP.

edit: Just noticed you said 0.23, not 0.24, which doesn't have contracts. In that case, try this one which has no contract support at all, but has the complete models. If that doesn't work, try this one that doesn't have the new models, but definitely worked with 0.23.

Many Thanks. I'll give it a try and will let you know :)

Hello, I am having quiet a lot of fun with this addon in the last days and want to share my remarks about some aspects:

Part mass:

I added the addon late into a save where I already had access to the 2.5m lifters, but even then it was somewhat challenging (which generally is a good thing) and I reverted to using the somewhat cheaty asparagus staging lifters. While I thing the 35t for the Cyclotron is definite fine the Zoology Bay and Science Lab are maybe a bit heavy when starting with a fresh save. So I wonder if the Science lab would not fit better with something like <=10t (allowing easier access to the plant grow experiment early in the game) and for the Zoology Bay is would be nice if the amount of Kibbal would be tweakable (potentially reducing initial launch weight by 10t at the cost of and additional Kibbal supply launch).

Crew space in lab and zoology bay:

Hm generally the surplus space might be handy in some situations, but I really hate that this always leads to some additional Kerbals trying to hitch-hike in my rocket, so I would prefer if they would only hold the req. amount of Kerbals to run them.

Spectrometron:

Generally I like the idea, but for my taste having to haul 15 additional tons around just to get the science points a bit earlier (Assuming the Kerbals are not planned to die in deep space a return craft should be available anyways and who of us would kill Kerbals by purpose?? :blush:) is not really worth it.

Zoology Bay:

The zoology bay uses up the Kibbal quiet quickly to generate science, while I wanted to use them for the experiments. So I had to manually disable the bay most of the time. I would prefer if the bay would still work on the experiments in the 'disabled'-state and only stop using the Kibbal for the additional science generation.

My only "complaint" about the mod is that an experiment can be performed only once in the SOI of a body;. For instance, you cannot run the Plant Growth experiment twice when orbiting Kerbin. That is a lot of expensive heavy hardware (Science lab, Zoology, Cyclatron, etc) to be used only once per experiment. One experiment actually requires two Cyclatrons; I won't be doing that one. And, given the minimal amount of Science per experiment, that makes the Science very expensive.

So: 1) increase the amount of Science per experiment. Say 800 total Science for Plant Growth earned at 80 per experiment, or; 2) remove Science limitation altogether.

Granted that the Science Lab is required for multiple experiments, once the five or six experiments are completed, my Science Stations (Kerbin, Mun) have no purpose. might as well de-orbit them. My Mun Station has a Spectrometron, which is not required for Kerbin.

Kerbin Science Station

XE0jH7O.jpg

Mun Science Station

eA3RkT3.jpg

Edited by Apollo13

I have a problem with my first lab.

First off, I regret sending up all my kerbonaughts into a station that has one mk1 capsule and a science bay. 2 parachutes (radial) ain't gonna cut it, I will have to use all my fuel to prevent explosions...

anyway, I tried doing the plant growth experiment. I'm orbiting at 121-123km above Kerbin, and I have power. When I click on the plant growth thing and hit start experiment, it appears to work, but when I click away to hide the Eureka thing and click back, the start experiment button appears. I've done it multiple times,first waiting an hour (time warp :D) and finding no Eurakas, then going to the tracking station and waiting 20 or so days. Still no results and no science. I'm on 0.24 with what I think is the latest version, downloaded today or yesterday from SpacePort

Hello, I am having quiet a lot of fun with this addon in the last days and want to share my remarks about some aspects:

Part mass:

I added the addon late into a save where I already had access to the 2.5m lifters, but even then it was somewhat challenging (which generally is a good thing) and I reverted to using the somewhat cheaty asparagus staging lifters. While I thing the 35t for the Cyclotron is definite fine the Zoology Bay and Science Lab are maybe a bit heavy when starting with a fresh save. So I wonder if the Science lab would not fit better with something like <=10t (allowing easier access to the plant grow experiment early in the game) and for the Zoology Bay is would be nice if the amount of Kibbal would be tweakable (potentially reducing initial launch weight by 10t at the cost of and additional Kibbal supply launch).

You're right, the Kibbal ought to be tweakable. I missed that and hadn't realized a specific flag was needed to make it work.

As for the rest of the masses, it's meant to be a challenge. I think the current masses are about as low as they can be without becoming too easy.

Spectrometron:

Generally I like the idea, but for my taste having to haul 15 additional tons around just to get the science points a bit earlier (Assuming the Kerbals are not planned to die in deep space a return craft should be available anyways and who of us would kill Kerbals by purpose?? :blush:) is not really worth it.

I agree it's not very useful. My hope has been that biomes get added to other planets to make it more useful. I considered taking it out, but I figured some might like it. I might add a contract that uses it, though.

My only "complaint" about the mod is that an experiment can be performed only once in the SOI of a body;. For instance, you cannot run the Plant Growth experiment twice when orbiting Kerbin. That is a lot of expensive heavy hardware (Science lab, Zoology, Cyclatron, etc) to be used only once per experiment. One experiment actually requires two Cyclatrons; I won't be doing that one. And, given the minimal amount of Science per experiment, that makes the Science very expensive.

So: 1) increase the amount of Science per experiment. Say 800 total Science for Plant Growth earned at 80 per experiment, or; 2) remove Science limitation altogether.

Granted that the Science Lab is required for multiple experiments, once the five or six experiments are completed, my Science Stations (Kerbin, Mun) have no purpose. might as well de-orbit them. My Mun Station has a Spectrometron, which is not required for Kerbin.

The reusability comes from contracts. They give about as much Science as that first execution.

Ordinary reusability (without contracts) is pointless. It's just extra science from putting more pods on your craft. No new gameplay.

I have a problem with my first lab.

First off, I regret sending up all my kerbonaughts into a station that has one mk1 capsule and a science bay. 2 parachutes (radial) ain't gonna cut it, I will have to use all my fuel to prevent explosions...

anyway, I tried doing the plant growth experiment. I'm orbiting at 121-123km above Kerbin, and I have power. When I click on the plant growth thing and hit start experiment, it appears to work, but when I click away to hide the Eureka thing and click back, the start experiment button appears. I've done it multiple times,first waiting an hour (time warp :D) and finding no Eurakas, then going to the tracking station and waiting 20 or so days. Still no results and no science. I'm on 0.24 with what I think is the latest version, downloaded today or yesterday from SpacePort

You need KSP version 0.24.1 or later. 0.24 won't work.

I hesitate to call this a bug, probably its a chair-to-keyboard-error.

I'm on .24.2 in 32bit mode. Installed mods are

Station Science

DMMagic Orbital Science

CactEye

EnginnerRedux

FinePrint

KAS

KAC

NEAR

Orbital Material Science Lab

Remote Tech

TAC

My first station is in orbit of 249km around Kerbin. I wish I could post a pic but I got is a link to my googledrive I guess. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_YMgHAEuE1jLXF0ZmRHOU4waXc/edit?usp=sharing Anyhow, I have a Science Lab with 4 on board. Status is Operational Eurekas are No Experiments. Pausing and unpausing research doesn't change anything. I have 12 gigantor solar arrays extended and about 11k electrical charge. In addition I have a Cyclotron, again kuarqs reads No Experiments if I unpause research. What am I missing?

I hesitate to call this a bug, probably its a chair-to-keyboard-error.

The chair-to-keyboard issue might be that you didn't bought along any of the experiments. You need to send the small 'single use'-experiments to your station to let it do anything useful (apart from feeding the critters).

You need to send the small 'single use'-experiments to your station to let it do anything useful (apart from feeding the critters).

Ahhh, well yeah. Duh. Okay I guess I thought it would begin generating stuff while it waited. Hmm

So another question; single use you say? Does that mean that I can't Eva and download/store the data once the experiment is complete? No transmitting? No reuse for a future contract?

Ahhh, well yeah. Duh. Okay I guess I thought it would begin generating stuff while it waited. Hmm

So another question; single use you say? Does that mean that I can't Eva and download/store the data once the experiment is complete? No transmitting? No reuse for a future contract?

Most pods can be cleaned out by the stock Mobile Processing Lab for reuse (the ones that require Bioproducts cannot). However, all contracts require a newly launched experiment pod after taking the contract, and require recovery of the pod on Kerbin.

The idea is you build you permanent stations with the big heavy lab modules, then launch and dock the small experiment pods as needed, then land them back on Kerbin for recovery.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.