[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

Well I wish I'd known that before I got greedy and decided to attempt the mission, with more than a year left in the contract term, without first unlocking docking ports. (I use Kerbal Construction Time too, which means I have to plan my launches and my tech unlocks rather carefully against my contract assignments.)

Well, time to bring up some KAS-attachable parachutes on the retrieval rig! This beast is gonna get WARM!

Well I wish I'd known that before I got greedy and decided to attempt the mission, with more than a year left in the contract term, without first unlocking docking ports. (I use Kerbal Construction Time too, which means I have to plan my launches and my tech unlocks rather carefully against my contract assignments.)

Well, time to bring up some KAS-attachable parachutes on the retrieval rig! This beast is gonna get WARM!

Video that. de-orbiting a space station is sure to either generate a incredible Manley-esq feet of skill or a Danny-esq feet of hilarious destruction.

I thought the contract text would be clear on this, but if you can think of how to make it more clear, please let me know.

I thought the contract text would be clear on this, but if you can think of how to make it more clear, please let me know.

Meh. First off, the mistake was mine... though, I can imagine others making the same one. Perhaps my confusion is borne not just from the contract text but also from the part description in the VAB. If the VAB / SPH part text could read something along the lines of, for the test module, "This module can of course be permanently attached to a station or non-Kerbin base for ongoing Science gains, if its prerequisite accoutrements are also provided. That said, most contracts involving this piece call for new modules to be custom-launched and manually landed back at Kerbin for retrieval in order to discharge them -- be sure to pay keen attention to the exat details-text of the contract for further guidance. This is because MisterFister Laboratories advises us that sometimes we just cannot trust the reported observations of snack-addled kerbonauts in orbit, even if they manually extract the findings-payload from this pod and return it that way so as to continue reusing the pod for future contracts or ongoing research; the actual module-pod itself is needed by the contract sponsor back on Kerbin in order to confirm findings for certain types of research projects. NOTE: When launching these modules for contracts, be sure to use the staging function to activate your initial launch stage, INSTEAD of right-clicking or action-group-toggling the launch engines. It is the STAGE function that triggers completion of the "launch new module" component of a Station Science contract and not mere delivery of the payload to the destination SOI-context."

For the contract text: "We here at StrutCo, in partnership with MisterFister Laboratories and Your Mom's Emporium of Mint-Toothpaste-Orange-Juice-and-Bubblegum Flavoring Additives, are advised that for this contract to work, a new test module must be custom launched and subsequently landed back at Kerbin for retrieval to trigger final contract completion. This is because, while we salute our fine stalwart kerbonauts on their attention to detail and upright professionalism, returning the results separately from retrieving the experiment module just won't cut it. Sorry, Snackfried and Roy, but you're just gonna have to do this the hard way. (Supporting structures necessary for this pod's operation need not be custom launched for this contract, however.) NOTE: When launching these modules for contracts, be sure to use the staging function to activate your initial launch stage, INSTEAD of right-clicking or action-group-toggling the launch engines. It is the STAGE function that triggers completion of the "launch new module" component of a Station Science contract and not mere delivery of the payload to the destination SOI-context."

Edited by MisterFister

Thing is, with that much text, people will just ignore it. I might add a note to the experiment pods that they're not intended to be attached directly to stations, though. I mention it early in the OP of this thread, but I don't think I do in-game, and it seems to be a common misconception.

Regarding the "launch via staging" vs "launch via action groups" thing, that's not intended. I'll be fixing that for the next release (shortly after KSP 0.25 launches).

Well, for something as intrinsic to the behavior of the contract (and I am not arguing that the mechanic itself doesn't make sense -- it makes perfect sense, now that I realize it) a full disclosure seems appropriate. And some of the flavor-text on other parts and contracts is pretty substantial in its own right.

That, and I don't think this is too substantial, now that you mention that you're awaiting 0.25 for the staging fix.

Part text: "This module can of course be permanently attached to a station or non-Kerbin base for ongoing Science gains, if its prerequisite accoutrements are also provided. That said, most contracts involving this piece call for new modules to be custom-launched and manually landed back at Kerbin for retrieval in order to discharge them -- be sure to pay keen attention to the exat details-text of the contract for further guidance. This is because MisterFister Laboratories advises us that sometimes we just cannot trust the reported observations of snack-addled kerbonauts in orbit, even if they manually extract the findings-payload from this pod and return it that way so as to continue reusing the pod for future contracts or ongoing research; the actual module-pod itself is needed by the contract sponsor back on Kerbin in order to confirm findings for certain types of research projects."

Contract text: "We here at StrutCo, in partnership with MisterFister Laboratories and Your Mom's Emporium of Mint-Toothpaste-Orange-Juice-and-Bubblegum Flavoring Additives, are advised that for this contract to work, a new test module must be custom launched and subsequently landed back at Kerbin for retrieval to trigger final contract completion. This is because, while we salute our fine stalwart kerbonauts on their attention to detail and upright professionalism, returning the results separately from retrieving the experiment module just won't cut it. Sorry, Snackfried and Roy, but you're just gonna have to do this the hard way. (Supporting structures necessary for this pod's operation need not be custom launched for this contract, however.)"

Meh. Maybe. I hope you can find something useful in this, at any rate. :) I'm not wedded to it, and your mod is otherwise an awesome must-install for me.

Edited by MisterFister
Edited suggested text

Are you using KSP v. 0.24.2, and StationScience v. 1.2? If so, please send me your KSP.log. It looks like something isn't working.

Could that issue have anything to do with kerbal placement? In other words, do the correct numbers of kerbonauts need to actually be in the individual lab modules for them to work? Or is it an ALL_VESSEL type thing, where as long as you have enough kerbals somewhere, cumulatively, it'll work?

Video that. de-orbiting a space station is sure to either generate a incredible Manley-esq feet of skill or a Danny-esq feet of hilarious destruction.

Hmm. I may do just that. I'm new to vidcap and editing, however. I downloaded Camtasia, which seems intuitive enough from the editing side, but I'm having trouble recording anything other than the desktop BEHIND the game. Yes, I know you can run KSP in windowed mode, and I might do that for now. Bandicam seems like it's better on the recording side, but on editing it's crap. Any other suggestions?

Could that issue have anything to do with kerbal placement? In other words, do the correct numbers of kerbonauts need to actually be in the individual lab modules for them to work? Or is it an ALL_VESSEL type thing, where as long as you have enough kerbals somewhere, cumulatively, it'll work?

A sufficient quantity of Kerbals needs to be in the particular lab for it to work. The lab should have an Insufficient Crew message in its right-click menu if that's the case.

Are you using KSP v. 0.24.2, and StationScience v. 1.2? If so, please send me your KSP.log. It looks like something isn't working.

It has to be the experiment pod itself (the small ones, not the big station modules). You're intended to attach the pods to craft that launch up, dock, undock, and return.

Thanks for the advise I am using KSP v. 0.24.2, and StationScience v. 1.2. Overnight I noticed that the docking lights from MRS did not integrate into the tech tree as they should so 2nd time I looked at installing them it corrupted the save file. I will rebuild the station and see - regarding the # of Kerbals, both the Zoology Bay and Science Lab were fully manned. Thanks.

Excellent mod! I'm just getting started in it and I've got a question. I am only earning one Eureka per hour. Is there a way to increase the productivity? Thanks.

Working as intended, 1 eureka per hour is the rate at which they are produced. this is intended to represent a long term research project. maybe put up multiple labs? honestly, i just shuttle up a bunch of experiments, go do something else while they research in the background, and then drop them back to kerbin when they're done.

Working as intended, 1 eureka per hour is the rate at which they are produced. this is intended to represent a long term research project. maybe put up multiple labs? honestly, i just shuttle up a bunch of experiments, go do something else while they research in the background, and then drop them back to kerbin when they're done.

Ah okay I was under the impression I had to have the craft selected for the game to count up the resources. Good to know I can just run it in the background as I carry out other missions.

With 0.25 the cyclotron stopped working for me. No matter if I pause or resume the cyclotrons, they will not generate any Kuarqs and are not using any energy anymore. Only the lights are going on/off.

I haven't tested yet if Eurekas are still getting produced or if they also stopped working.

Edited by Tekener

With 0.25 the cyclotron stopped working for me. No matter if I pause or resume the cyclotrons, they will not generate any Kuarqs and are not using any energy anymore. Only the lights are going on/off.

I haven't tested yet if Eurekas are still getting produced or if they also stopped working.

Yes, 0.25 breaks this mod. I'll be uploading a new version soon (hopefully tonight).

When I'm loading up my save using the new 1.3 version (and ModManager 2.5.0 if that's relevant), I'm still getting the error that it's unable to load the part StnSciAttachOTron.

Please send me your KSP.log.

You mean for those who launch their stations in one piece? Or are we now unable to dock our experiment pods with the station?

The point is you shouldn't hard attach the small experiment pods to the station, because they're meant to be returned to Kerbin. They should be undockable in some way.

There's no functionality change there at all, just a note in the part description.

When I'm loading up my save using the new 1.3 version (and ModManager 2.5.0 if that's relevant), I'm still getting the error that it's unable to load the part StnSciAttachOTron.

I had this issue too. It seems to be caused by the fact the Squad changed the names of the folders in which part models are stored.

To fix it I went into \GameData\StationScience\Parts\StnSciAttachOTron\part.cfg and changed the following lines:

• In the first MODEL section

model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortLarge/model

becomes

model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortSr/model

• In the second MODEL section

model = Squad/Parts/Command/sasModule/model

becomes

model = Squad/Parts/Command/inlineAdvancedStabilizer/model

• In the third MODEL section

model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort2/model

becomes

model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/model

I hope that helps.

Edited by cpottinger

Just wanted to confirm that cpottinger's fix worked perfectly. My station has been loaded properly and is now chugging away on its experiments once again. Kudos for figuring that out.

In case it's still relevant, I've attached a copy of the KSP.log from before I tried the fix, but there doesn't seem to be anything of interest there: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmee1kfstf80nfv/KSP.log?dl=0

But it looks to me like cpottinger's fix is exactly what is needed as everything's running smoothly now. The problem seems isolated to the StnSciAttachOTron, all other modules work fine, and stations using the (more advanced) stock docking ports work fine also, even without the fix.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.