[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

i like this mod. but it give me so much science, that it feels like cheating. I've a station runing in high orbit of kerbin. From start at launchpad to the orbit i got so many experiments with 100+ science points. i have 3 science labs on station and actually 3000 science transmitted, but pretty sure 3000-5000 science points in query. Thats way too much just for sitting in Kerbins orbit. Is there a simple multiplier i can change to get 10% of the actual science fund rate?

8 hours ago, LeLeon said:

i like this mod. but it give me so much science, that it feels like cheating. I've a station runing in high orbit of kerbin. From start at launchpad to the orbit i got so many experiments with 100+ science points. i have 3 science labs on station and actually 3000 science transmitted, but pretty sure 3000-5000 science points in query. Thats way too much just for sitting in Kerbins orbit. Is there a simple multiplier i can change to get 10% of the actual science fund rate?

Haven't tried station science for a while, but whenever you use mod like this, you should tweak other difficulty option in main game how much science, money, reputation you get trough contracts and various other stuff. You can also use ALT+F12 do adjust some settings for personal liking if some stuff are too much or too low.

Mods like this easy break gamebalance, but it is fun to use it regardless. Bringing heavy stuff in orbit is not always easy task, there is also docking procedure involved, etc. But, yes, it discourage people to some degree to explore other celestial bodies until they unlock large part of tech tree and do it with much better tehnology.

You can easy miss fun with visiting Mun or Minimus with low tech grade parts. That brings different set of difficulty/experience.

13 hours ago, LeLeon said:

i like this mod. but it give me so much science, that it feels like cheating.

You will need all that science.
First, its fun to "babysitting" your stations,
Second, you could convert Science into Money. (You will need that later..)
Third, you could (like me) use all that Science to "tune" parts with "KRnD".

At the beginning i was also surprised/excited about mass Science.
But now i can not have enough :p.

I like the concept (if its wanted or not) that some of the Experiments dont count/give science/finish the Contracts.
About of "bad" usage, made mistakes in finishing and finalizing (or simple rounded calc of ksp which you take ongoing in "savegame").
Like real.. when "Propes" dont return results you expect.

Specially for the lot of Credits (and Science) you get for a successful recover (or done twice.. when you process first result in MPL).
(-> means "clean out experiment" in MPL)

Edited by Jansn67

On 5/18/2016 at 3:34 PM, tomf said:

I think I have just found a tiny bug in 1.6. My quark bioactivity experiment should be finished, I click the finalize button, then keep result in the science dialog. However it then resets to start experiment instead of allowing me to review data or throw away result. Looking in my persistence file I can see

{
  name = Bioproducts
  amount = 29.9999999999884
  maxAmount = 30
  flowState = True
  isTweakable = False
  hideFlow = False
  isVisible = True
  flowMode = Both
}

If I edit that to read amount = 30, load and try again the experiment behaves as expected allowing me to finalize results and then review data.

Are you doing a check that allows for some rounding errors when checking the finalize results button but then doing an exact >= somewhere later on?

I just had the same bug on kuarq bioactivity and creature comforts experiments on the same station. I tried your fix and it worked so thanks!

54 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

@MaverickSawyer You should always back up your save before updating anything. that said, no, it should not break any saves. There are only a little size difference as said here:

Ok, that's good news indeed, especially with KIS as a cornerstone of my install. I just didn't want to lose the huge station I've built.

Very nice mod.

I've noticed, though, that the rate of eureka generation does not depend on either number of scientists in the lab or their levels.

I wonder if this is a bug or a feature. If a feature, then if one uses this mod as a replacement for MPL (as the author of this mod suggests in the first post), it completely removes the incentive to train scientists as higher levels provide no in-game benefits (afaik).

5 hours ago, itwtx said:

I've noticed, though, that the rate of eureka generation does not depend on either number of scientists in the lab or their levels.

I wonder if this is a bug or a feature. If a feature, then if one uses this mod as a replacement for MPL (as the author of this mod suggests in the first post), it completely removes the incentive to train scientists as higher levels provide no in-game benefits (afaik).

I should have read the previous forum page :). Since this is a known problem, I think I fixed it. Ethernet, please look at my pull request at github.

I got a mission telling me to launch the plant growth experiment, and finish it in orbit around mun, then return it to kerbin and recover it. I did all this, but i didnt get any checkmarks in it. When i recovered it on kerbin, the mission wasnt accomplished. I can not see what ive done wrong, so if you could please help find out, id be greatfull. Im playing in version 1.1.0

6 hours ago, Flamingo said:

I got a mission telling me to launch the plant growth experiment, and finish it in orbit around mun, then return it to kerbin and recover it. I did all this, but i didnt get any checkmarks in it. When i recovered it on kerbin, the mission wasnt accomplished. I can not see what ive done wrong, so if you could please help find out, id be greatfull. Im playing in version 1.1.0

Did you 'finalize' the results before you left Munar orbit?

38 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Anyone tried this in 1.1.3 yet?  

Feel free to try and report results. I didn't even try KSP 1.1.3. yet because some of my "must have" mods were not updated yet.

18 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Feel free to try and report results. I didn't even try KSP 1.1.3. yet because some of my "must have" mods were not updated yet.

same here, but KAS just got its update so there are just a couple left that I'm currently using that haven't been updated yet, this being one.  

I have taken it out for a spin in 1.1.3, and the context menus for the experiments are disabled - right-click does nothing.

As a result, you can't start any experiments.

Dunno if it's just my installation (many, many mods), but it was working in 1.1.2 for me.

On 6/28/2016 at 5:43 AM, ultraviolet150 said:

Any more news? I haven't tested this myself, but is @RCampbell correct in saying that it doesn't work?

I've kept one machine running 1.1.2 and everything is working fine.

On a separate machine I have 1.1.3 and the context menus related to research are missing from the Station Science components. So for the experiments themselves, that means no menus at all. On the labs, the "Start Research" menu items are missing, but other items pertaining to being a Kerbal container are there.

So something to do with how the science portion of the mod connecting to the menu system has gone sideways.

On 6/16/2016 at 3:08 PM, Ksp Slingshooter said:

Hi there,

I'm having some problems docking a Zoology Lab with the medium sized docking port to a small station I built.

Every time I try to dock it, the station starts spinning around. Can somebody help me?

P.S: Nice mod btw.

If your station has reaction wheels and the ship you dock also has reaction wheels, especially at different angles, it's easy to end up with an argument about which way is up and who should be pointing where.

I've had stations tear themselves apart over this sort of thing.

Two things you can do - one is to make sure you don't have SAS turned on for your station when you dock to it (the ISS does this), and the other is to disable reaction wheels and turn off RCS on your docked ship the moment you dock, before the argument can begin.

5 hours ago, RCampbell said:

If your station has reaction wheels and the ship you dock also has reaction wheels, especially at different angles, it's easy to end up with an argument about which way is up and who should be pointing where.

I've had stations tear themselves apart over this sort of thing.

Two things you can do - one is to make sure you don't have SAS turned on for your station when you dock to it (the ISS does this), and the other is to disable reaction wheels and turn off RCS on your docked ship the moment you dock, before the argument can begin.

Thanks by the explanation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.