[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

13 hours ago, ultraviolet150 said:

are you sure the right click menu's work? @RCampbell reported it not working. I haven't tested it for myself though

Seems to work just fine in 1.1.3. Tested on a "clean" install with just station science and hyper edit and all menus worked. Then tested on my heavily modded main install and everything worked. :D

3 hours ago, madmanjazz said:

Seems to work just fine in 1.1.3. Tested on a "clean" install with just station science and hyper edit and all menus worked. Then tested on my heavily modded main install and everything worked. :D

Thanks! Will get it tested on my side

Ok this Mod deffinitly needs a huge tutorial or guide since it seems like a great mod but absolutly not easy to understand i think. And the Missions might need some more explanation in what to do maybe.

I got my first Mission from this mod "Perform Experiment: Plant Growth in orbit around Kerbin"

Since I didnt had a Space Station up and running I just send a probe up with the Experiment started running and realised nothing happens Eurekas at 0/50.

So my next guess after keeping this probe in orbit for a day or two was that I had to have the new Research Lab attached to it aswell. (wich is not explained in the module or the mission text)

So now I have my first Station up around Kerbin.

The Station has 1 normal Science Lab and 1 the new Science Lab from this mod a couple of batteries Solar Panels etc...

On the station are 4 Kerbals (3 Scientists, 1 Engineer) Currently 1 Sci in the normal Lab and the rest in the new Lab.

Now I docked a new vessel with the Plant Growth Experiment at the station. I started Research on the Lab, I started Research on the Station Science Lab and now I am generating a few Eurekas in the experiment. (about 0.01 every few minutes).

- Is this rate normal?

- DO i have to wait until I reached 50 Eurekas in the Experiment before I can send it home to complete the Contract?

- Is there a way to see how many Eurekas you generate per minute?

When I first have seen this Mod I thought it is really really great. But so far... I am more confused then impressed by it anymore :(

@Doodle, have you read OP ? Pretty much every important info about mod is there coupled with videos.

As for rate of eurekas, it depends of crew in Space station, scientist with more experience and lower stupidity contribute more to eureka production. IIRC, you also need to turn on lights on sci lab. It was long time since I was properly use this mod in career, KSP 1.1.3. was published jsut before I started to build space stations in KSP 1.1.2.

I has question involving balance (depending on your point of view): why is it the cyclotrons do not generate heat? That's some fairly high power consumption just one has, and having 2 running simultaneously is even more.

And in case it wasnt obvious, what would i have to change in the part cfg file so my cyclotrons generate heat when active?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I threw up this huge station crossbar that had pretty much everything needed to function as a station, including radiators. I get a Thinker lab up and a retrograde kuarqs science module as part of a contract. I go to fire up the experiment and instead of heat generation being done from the lone cyclotron attached at the time, it just putts out the Kuarqs despite sucking down nearly 100ec/s.

Question...I'm trying to decide between stock MPL and Station Science for my new career game. Station Science is beautiful and clearly well thought out, but I'm not sure if it's too micromanage heavy for the play style I'm looking for.

As a frame of reference, I'm using USI LS, not TAC and as soon as it's updated I'll be using Antenna Range, not Remote Tech. So, in short, I'm setting up my mods so that I have to plan for "realistic" needs of space travel, but not so detailed that I have to micro-manage.

With this in mind, should I go with stock science or Station Science? Thanks for your suggestions and, either way, great job on Station Science

Well, with stock science lab, there is not much it can do. It can be used to "reset" experiments, process it and send some data at higher value back to Kerbin. Please, someone who play pure stock game, correct me with that if I'm wrong, I haven't played with stock for a while.

Combined with USI life suport, science labe have also recycler ability, but since you don't plan to use it that will not going to work either.

Station science on the other hand, have some micro managment, but not too much. You need to put some effort to put large and heavy science lab parts into orbit, put some cre in it, provide with additional materials that those crew need to "process" and wait some time until "eureka" points are raised up.

That can take some time, and while waiting you can focus on something else - sending probes to Mun, minimus, interplanetary or even crewed mission, whatewer you prefer. You know, just play game as usual, like you don't use station science at all.

Once experiment is processed, you need to get results back to surface of Kerbin. It is not like that you need to babysit science station all time, but you need to make that randevous missions from time to time, assembly station with additional modules, get fresh crew there, new materials and so on.

Basicaly, station science gives you some reason to create efficient crafts to do orbital docking, assembly larger space station trough several flight/docking missions and similar. Giving you some "reason" to do all that.

On 7/2/2016 at 0:57 AM, madmanjazz said:

I deleted StationScience and reinstalled it - and the menus came back.

Everything working now.

On 7/8/2016 at 9:24 AM, SpeedyB said:

Cyclotron heat generation would be cool.  Gives more purpose to installing a bunch of radiators on a station.

I seem to remember successfully adding core heat to it as it's just a converter. But I also added thermal efficiency, which is a bit rough.

On 7/4/2016 at 6:23 AM, Doodle said:

- Is this rate normal?

- DO i have to wait until I reached 50 Eurekas in the Experiment before I can send it home to complete the Contract?

- Is there a way to see how many Eurekas you generate per minute?

Whenever I build a station, I outfit it with:

- (2) cyclotrons, for faster production of kuarqs

- (1) Science Lab, staffed with at least a 1-star scientist (preferably low stupidity)

- (1) Zoology Bay, staffed with at least a 1-star scientist (preferably low stupidity)

- (1) 2.5m can of kibble for the zoo bay experiments

For power production, I have at least 30k of EC storage, along with running a 2.5m reactor from USI's core pack (or use Near Future Electrical).  I've not tested exactly what the minimum storage EC would be for running both cyclotrons at once.

When I get a contract, I build a vessel capable of launching, docking, and returning the experiment pod to Kerbin.  I have a stock design that I use and I just switch out the experiment pod prior to launch.

After docking, I right-click the experiment pod and "start research".  If it needs kuarqs, it will spin up the cyclotrons.  If it needs zoo work, it uses the zoo bay.  If it needs eurekas, it spins up the science lab part.  Recent versions of this mod have an "auto" function for the lights, so they only light up when the module is doing something.

Kuarq production is pretty quick (10-60 seconds), especially with (2) cyclotrons.  I just wait until the experiment pod is full of kuarqs before switching away to the space port or a different vessel.  Once the bar is full in the pod, that portion of the experiment is complete.

Waiting on eurekas, OTOH, can take anywhere from a few game hours to a few game days, so plan on using KAC (Kerbal Alarm Clock) and just set a reminder for 3/5/7 days to come back and check.

When the pod is ready for return to Kerbin, right-click on it and "finalize experiment".  Choose the "keep data" option, and return the pod to Kerbin for the contract payout.

Images of my return pod design (actually an older design).  It uses parts from MRS (modular rocket systems), USI Survivability Pack, and Smart Parts.  It uses tiny mono-prop engines with about 160 dV capacity for the de-orbit burn.  The USI airbags are suitable replacements for landing legs, and the USI float bags work well towards the top of the design to keep it afloat in the ocean.

The docking port on the bottom is ejected prior to re-entry.

12 minutes ago, Markus1002 said:

Does this mod support Outer Planets Mod?

I've personally never sent any station science equipped ships out to the outer planets (I'm still waiting for my first duna mission on this playthrough to arrive), but in theory it shouldnt matter as Station Science is entirely part-based and does not involve landing on any planetary surface.

12 hours ago, Cyrious said:

I've personally never sent any station science equipped ships out to the outer planets (I'm still waiting for my first duna mission on this playthrough to arrive), but in theory it shouldnt matter as Station Science is entirely part-based and does not involve landing on any planetary surface.

Thanks. If thats true, there should not be any missing science logs when I play with OPM. :)

5 hours ago, Markus1002 said:

Thanks. If thats true, there should not be any missing science logs when I play with OPM. :)

If you want I'll go hyperedit a crude test ship containing all of the Station Science parts to the outer planets for testing.

2 hours ago, Markus1002 said:

That would be very helpful!

Confirmed, and they're worth a *huge* amount of science as well

j1PRiLl.png

Thats worth sending out a mothership or two loaded with Station Science Hardware.

Edit: Sending out one mothership fully equipped with the necessary hardware to do all 6 mission pods just to high sarnus orbit is worth about 10k science. Add in the 5 moons of Sarnus (Tekto, Slate, Eeloo, Ovok, Hale) and high/low orbit changes, and you can theoretically harvest something like 60-70k (or more) science just from using the station science mod around Sarnus then flying it all home.

Edited by Cyrious

• 3 weeks later...

I have a fresh modded install going, but I'm not seeing any contracts being generated. I have a station equipped with a THNKR Lab waiting in orbit. This is with the latest update to Contract Configurator so that may have something to do with it, but I do have other mods and contract packs and none of them have needed updates to get the contracts to work. I would share more info, if I knew what was useful.

Hello, I had gotten this mod in version 1.5 and haven't played KSP in a while. For some reason the individual small experiments didn't appear in game for me so I decided to update the mod recently to see if i would get those parts. I downloaded and extracted v2.0, deleted v1.5 and then placed v2.0 in my game data folder. For some reason when i entered game, my previous ships with science parts were not loaded due to missing parts. In addition, the new parts were never loaded and didn't appear in tech tree. 

Anyone have any solution? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there! Had a question. Is there any way to produce kibbal off-kerbin? I'm attempting to do a kolonization run with as much self-suffieciency as possible, and seems odd not to be able to produce animal food from things like UKS, but am able to make food for kerbals. Is there, by chance, any way to do this with any other mods, or something I've maybe overlooked?

Edited by DracoSilverpath

I suspect that's not implemented yet. Station Science was intended as a mod to build space stations nearby Kerbin and possibly further out without any life support or kolonization mods, but now that it's moving into a more mature mod, that may actually be a good suggestion.

Similarly, the way the MPL is laid out in 1.1.3, it would be possible to make it cooperate with Station Science. Just make sure the data payoff of the science lab and experiment modules is fairly low, and the MPL would be a good candidate for a helper component when the labs and experiment modules are so far off Kerbin that it stops being economical (or fun in any gameplay mode) to return them home. You could think of making some experiment results decay over time so that you actually must return them home or dump them in an MPL and transmit them, or they're lost and you'd need to do the experiment again.

This would work if you could drop the experiment results either in an MPL, or keep them in the experiment bay, but not do both as is the case with stock science experiments (and the cause of the MPL being massively overpowered).

It would also open up the opportunity to make Station Science work with surface bases.

It's easy enough to add a "Make Kibbal" converter to the Zoology bay or the ISRU, but what would be the ingredients?  Should it be easy to make or hard?  It's pretty heavy so we'd probably need a lot of source ingredients.   It could depend on what you have installed:

Stock: Ore

TAC-LS: Food+Water

USI Life Support: Supplies+Water

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.