[1.1.2] Station Science (v2.0: New models by SpeedyB)

ethernet

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Got my first space station in Kerbal orbit and generating science contracts. Really nicely done.

I see it's been brought up about the fairly limited amount of experiments for science credit.  Without rehashing the whole end game/balance issues, I was wondering if it's possible to create more than one experiment per science device? For example, having a creature comforts pack have 10 buttons, each considered a different experiment.  It would function as a multiplier for more uses for a given science part, much like biomes do for stock parts.  It would also save the need for making a large number of science parts.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Gilph said:

I see it's been brought up about the fairly limited amount of experiments for science credit.  Without rehashing the whole end game/balance issues, I was wondering if it's possible to create more than one experiment per science device? For example, having a creature comforts pack have 10 buttons, each considered a different experiment.  It would function as a multiplier for more uses for a given science part, much like biomes do for stock parts.  It would also save the need for making a large number of science parts.

I'm only now getting into my first serious playthrough with Station Science, but you can extend things out with a science lab. Do the experiment, send the data to the lab, and while it's processing clean it out and do it again for the instant retrieval/broadcast science. It's not infinite but its enough that some opt not to because they find it unbalanced. I've got CTT installed which extends the tree out a but so I don't feel as bad doing it. But eventually it's still going to force me to set up stations around other bodies to be able to rerun experiments. Which is good, I want that.

Try getting creative. Send a station to a planet with moons with docking ports you can attach engine modules on with later missions that'll let you push it out to other bodies in the same system. Or send a mobile refinery with it to refuel it that way.

HI @Tybot,

I understand about the science labs.  In my original save, i grinded about 400,000 science using science labs, and I still haven't finished Eeloo and Moho.

The author mentioned that this mod was mostly designed for a station around Kerbin.  There's about 6 experiments to do.  I have not progressed far in the contracts, so I guess you can make some cash on repeatable contracts, but not necessarily on science.  But, sending the station to Mun, then Minmus could gather up a nice science total from one station.

I was just wondering if the experiments could be extended a bit more.  Always looking for more things to do.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Gilph said:

In my original save, i grinded about 400,000 science using science labs, and I still haven't finished Eeloo and Moho.

Good god, now I have to ask. What are you using all that science on? Do you have mods that make use of all of that or do you like abusing administration strategies?

4 hours ago, Tybot said:

Good god, now I have to ask. What are you using all that science on? Do you have mods that make use of all of that or do you like abusing administration strategies?

not much, really.  Have 67 Million in currency, so don't need cash. Will look at R&D, but wanted to keep this career fairly light in mods.  It's my very first one from a year ago.

I just put MPLs around every body on a station and made a MPL lander.  Did all of the research on surface to get bonus, then take all the experiments and fly them up to station to do again.  Adds up over time, obviously.  Will be a bit more aggressive in my new heavily modded career mode.

None of my science labs, either the MPL or the THNKR Lab, produce science per day. I have them both in orbit around Kerbin at 250km, and both are full with scientist crews, with the start research button clicked, but both still say 0.0000 sci/day.

EDIT:

Ah, never mind, didn't realize that you had to finalize into a lab first. Had another mod that was automatically moving the data to the command pod instead.

Edited by JordanL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Working my way through the first set of Kerbin, Mun, Min contracts. The initial contracts pay really well; a Mun contract was recently worth 3M funds.  I was offered to repeat the same contract a bit later, and it was worth 120K.  I am starting to decline them, as they are really not worth the trouble.  Was it meant to be that big of a difference?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Gilph said:

Was it meant to be that big of a difference?

I think that is. To prevent player to do money grinding doing exactly same thing again and again. Once you have station in place in Mun orbit it make sense to send stuff there on your own, start experiment and bring results back on Kerbin to get more science points.

If there is no such system you will never have desire to left Kerbin SOI.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:57 PM, kcs123 said:

I think that is. To prevent player to do money grinding doing exactly same thing again and again. Once you have station in place in Mun orbit it make sense to send stuff there on your own, start experiment and bring results back on Kerbin to get more science points.

If there is no such system you will never have desire to left Kerbin SOI.

I understand, and my POV may not be popular, but if the first paid 3M, and the second paid 100k, that's 3.1M.  I would rather have the first pay 2.5M and the second one pay 600k.  Same money, but bigger time sink ^_^

Also, wanted to validate the Spectrometron functionality.  The function of that device is to increase the value of transmitted science to 90% of the returned value. So, it is valuable for stations far from Kerbin.  All you need to do is to supply the data from an experiment in some way, so a lab is really not required, all I need is either the experiment or the experiment data.  Is all this correct?

Thanks

Regarding Spectrometron, I think that is correct, you should no need lab for it, but take this with grain of salt. New version of KSP hit before I was able to advance enough in my career games for latest few releases. I might not recall of it correctly, regarding Spectrometron. Someone else should give you better answer for this.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, spoonyboobah said:

Wow @tomf! that is awesome, thanks so much!!! :D I love how people go out of there way to ensure mods keep working when the creators go quiet....

Well I got tired waiting until all the mods were ready so I could migrate my career game over to 1.2.

28 minutes ago, tomf said:

Well I got tired waiting until all the mods were ready so I could migrate my career game over to 1.2.

This is one of the last of the ones I'm waiting for to really start playing again.

Thanks.

On 10/17/2016 at 7:57 PM, ethernet said:

I am working on a full release. Been very busy, and didn't even realize there'd been a new version. Thanks, tomf, for getting started.

Looking forward to the full release, this is a cornerstone mod in my set.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.